Setting for High Resolution shooting - Canon 70D

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Denomite
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Setting for High Resolution shooting - Canon 70D
7 months ago

I have recently purchased a canon 70D.  But the images I am getting is not sharp enough.  Found out that the highest image quality setting gives 72dpi with large image (76" x 50.667").  This does not help when picture is enlarged because of the low dpi.

My Panasonic micro 4/3 gives 180dpi and the pictures are quite sharp.  And I want to say its actually looks sharper than Canon 70D at much lower cost.  I bought Canon 70D to improve the image quality.

Anyone have any idea how to change the setting on Canon 70D to give 180dpi or 300dpi images?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 300D (EOS Digital Rebel / EOS Kiss Digital) Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tr573
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?
Re: Setting for High Resolution shooting - Canon 70D
In reply to Denomite, 7 months ago

Dpi setting doesn't mean anything when you're viewing on your PC. It's just something you set for resizing to print

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,473
Like?

Denomite wrote:

I have recently purchased a canon 70D. But the images I am getting is not sharp enough. Found out that the highest image quality setting gives 72dpi with large image (76" x 50.667"). This does not help when picture is enlarged because of the low dpi.

My Panasonic micro 4/3 gives 180dpi and the pictures are quite sharp. And I want to say its actually looks sharper than Canon 70D at much lower cost. I bought Canon 70D to improve the image quality.

Anyone have any idea how to change the setting on Canon 70D to give 180dpi or 300dpi images?

Are you printing or just looking at the images on the monitor?  If the latter, the ppi is utterly and completely meaningless.  When viewing on a monitor, the image is x pixels wide and y pixels high - that's it and that's all.  ppi is only important when you make a print.  Generally it should be 240 to 300 ppi depending on the print size and viewing distance.

Mark

R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,325Gear list
Like?

Denomite wrote:

I have recently purchased a canon 70D. But the images I am getting is not sharp enough. Found out that the highest image quality setting gives 72dpi with large image (76" x 50.667"). This does not help when picture is enlarged because of the low dpi.

My Panasonic micro 4/3 gives 180dpi and the pictures are quite sharp. And I want to say its actually looks sharper than Canon 70D at much lower cost. I bought Canon 70D to improve the image quality.

As was mentioned, DPI (PPI) is only a marker.

If you want sharper images, then use whatever sharpening tools you prefer.  It may also be a technique issue, but can't tell without more info.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Denomite
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 7 months ago

R2D2 wrote:

Denomite wrote:

As was mentioned, DPI (PPI) is only a marker.

If you want sharper images, then use whatever sharpening tools you prefer. It may also be a technique issue, but can't tell without more info.

R2

-- hide signature --

Thank you R2D2.

I am pretty new and still learning. You guys are right - should be ppi, not dpi.

I was under the impression that if the image came out of the camera is at higher resolution, then the image would be sharper. If I change to 300 ppi from 72 ppi, then the image become sharper image?

What sharpening tool would you recommend?

I need to take some product pictures and the customers usually require us to submit high resolution pictures.  at 72ppi, it is not high resolution.  So I am just wondering if I can get pictures in high resolution with the camera.

Denomite
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 7 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

Denomite wrote:

Are you printing or just looking at the images on the monitor? If the latter, the ppi is utterly and completely meaningless. When viewing on a monitor, the image is x pixels wide and y pixels high - that's it and that's all. ppi is only important when you make a print. Generally it should be 240 to 300 ppi depending on the print size and viewing distance.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Does that mean I basically need to process the image almost every time I need to high res picture?

If I change 72ppi to 300 ppi for either printing or viewing, that does not really improve the image right?  Cause the image was shot at 72ppi and the extra pixels are just filled in by the computer and not really in the image.

My main question is actually how I can get a high resolution picture out of the camera.  I do print them in large size image some times.

Denomite
Like?
In reply to tr573, 7 months ago

tr573 wrote:

Dpi setting doesn't mean anything when you're viewing on your PC. It's just something you set for resizing to print

Thank you

When I got the camera, I thought with this better and larger camera, I should be able to take pictures at higher resolution out of the camera compare to the smaller micro 4/3.  At 72ppi, its not hi-res right?  The new Canon 70D did not give me sharper image than my Panasonic GF-2 so I am thinking maybe I do not have the correct settings.  And maybe there is a setting to get the image to sharper and higher resolution, not just larger picture.

I guess I have a lot to learn.  Especially with the new camera.

Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,716Gear list
Like?
Please reread other responses

Denomite wrote:

Thank you R2D2.

I am pretty new and still learning. You guys are right - should be ppi, not dpi.

I was under the impression that if the image came out of the camera is at higher resolution, then the image would be sharper. If I change to 300 ppi from 72 ppi, then the image become sharper image?

I need to take some product pictures and the customers usually require us to submit high resolution pictures. at 72ppi, it is not high resolution. So I am just wondering if I can get pictures in high resolution with the camera.

Please take the time to carefully read the responses you've gotten so far. PPI and/or DPI are completely irrelevant. The only thing that matters is the resolution you've shot your images at. That will translate to an n pixels x n pixels resolution and that is set within your camera settings. The only thing that PPI is relevant to is when printing. If you've selected the max resolution for your camera, then any sharpness issues are due to missed focus, motion blur, or other issues that usually have to do with technique, though very occasionally can occur due to equipment issues.

You can post an example here if you wish. Pls make sure the EXIF data is intact so we can look at your shutter, exposure and other key settings.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?
Resolution has several meanings.

And your camera has several resolution settings. (some charts below are from the Canon web site)

If you set resolution at the highest settings, your camera has 20.0 megapixels (20.2 million pixels)

Large: Approx. 20.0 Megapixels (5472 x 3648);-this means 5472 pixels from left to right on your sensor, and 3648 pixels from top to bottom.

Multiply them, and it is 20 million.

You can change settings and get all the choices below, plus lots more

Medium: Approx. 8.9 Megapixels (3648 x 2432);
Small 1: Approx. 5.0 Megapixels (2736 x 1824);
Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280);
Small 3: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
RAW: Approx. 20.0 Megapixels (5472 x 3648);
mRAW: Approx. 11.2 Megapixels (4104 x 2736);
sRAW: Approx. 5.0 Megapixels (2736 x 1824)

-- hide signature --

If you use the full frame and make a print 12 inches wide, the printing machine - depending on the model --will divide 5472 by 12, and your print will have a resolution of 456 pixels per inch.

The easiest software for editing, I believe, is Adobe Photoshop elements.

BAK

tr573
Regular MemberPosts: 303
Like?

Denomite wrote:

tr573 wrote:

Thank you

When I got the camera, I thought with this better and larger camera, I should be able to take pictures at higher resolution out of the camera compare to the smaller micro 4/3. At 72ppi, its not hi-res right? The new Canon 70D did not give me sharper image than my Panasonic GF-2 so I am thinking maybe I do not have the correct settings. And maybe there is a setting to get the image to sharper and higher resolution, not just larger picture.

I guess I have a lot to learn. Especially with the new camera.

We're saying that on your computer screen, dpi is not a meaningful setting or value. It's a placeholder value basically. You'd change it to set print size, but it wouldn't make up new pixels, it will still be the same number of pixels, just with an adjusted print size. So instead of the massive silly size photoshop reports it as at 72dpi, it would report it as more realistic.

The Panasonic May be applying more sharpening by default than the canon does , I'm not familiar with their jog output. You can apply sharpening to jpg files in camera in your new 70d , but if these photos are to be professionally printed you'll probably want to learn to shoot raw and process yourself manually instead.

Denomite
Like?
In reply to tr573, 7 months ago

tr573 wrote:

Denomite wrote:

tr573 wrote:

Thank you

When I got the camera, I thought with this better and larger camera, I should be able to take pictures at higher resolution out of the camera compare to the smaller micro 4/3. At 72ppi, its not hi-res right? The new Canon 70D did not give me sharper image than my Panasonic GF-2 so I am thinking maybe I do not have the correct settings. And maybe there is a setting to get the image to sharper and higher resolution, not just larger picture.

I guess I have a lot to learn. Especially with the new camera.

We're saying that on your computer screen, dpi is not a meaningful setting or value. It's a placeholder value basically. You'd change it to set print size, but it wouldn't make up new pixels, it will still be the same number of pixels, just with an adjusted print size. So instead of the massive silly size photoshop reports it as at 72dpi, it would report it as more realistic.

The Panasonic May be applying more sharpening by default than the canon does , I'm not familiar with their jog output. You can apply sharpening to jpg files in camera in your new 70d , but if these photos are to be professionally printed you'll probably want to learn to shoot raw and process yourself manually instead.

In fact, I just tried with RAW.  It is definitely sharper.  I will try to find the sharpening setting in the camera and see if I get sharper jpg out of the camera.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,473
Like?

Denomite wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Denomite wrote:

Are you printing or just looking at the images on the monitor? If the latter, the ppi is utterly and completely meaningless. When viewing on a monitor, the image is x pixels wide and y pixels high - that's it and that's all. ppi is only important when you make a print. Generally it should be 240 to 300 ppi depending on the print size and viewing distance.

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Does that mean I basically need to process the image almost every time I need to high res picture?

If I change 72ppi to 300 ppi for either printing or viewing, that does not really improve the image right? Cause the image was shot at 72ppi and the extra pixels are just filled in by the computer and not really in the image.

My main question is actually how I can get a high resolution picture out of the camera. I do print them in large size image some times.

Let the printing software take care of setting the ppi.  I use Qimage for all my printing, it takes care of re-sizing the image for the size being printed, interpolation when necessary, and final print sharpening.  I'm sure Photoshop has a similar feature to re-size the image based on the print size, but Qimage is optimized for printing and excels at it.

Mark

johna
Regular MemberPosts: 285
Like?

Don't worry about the dpi or ppi. Your file sizes are large on a 70d. Plus, the photos are taken with a larger sensor than a micro 4/3.The dpi is just for monitor display which will use the 72 dpi. Some newer monitors use 96.That's what you're seeing when you view at 100%. You can zoom out to see what the image will look like at more condensed sizes that the 76x50 inches you mentioned. The ppi is for printing which you would also be condensing because you won't be printing at 76x50 inches!

I think for your purposes, to start out, you could shoot at a large jpg(under "Image Quality"). Then, in the P, Av, or Tv mode,use the Q button and pick a Picture Style - probably Standard. Then, under Detail Settings, you can chose your own settings for sharpness, contrast, and whatever. You could set the sharpness and contrast fairly high for product type shots.

Try that out first. You would still have high resolution images that they want and would be a good starting point for you. You can work on your RAW post processing skills later as you get more comfortable.

Denomite
Like?

Mark B. wrote:

Denomite wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Denomite wrote:

Mark

Thank you Mark.

If I change 72ppi to 300 ppi for either printing or viewing, that does not really improve the image right? Cause the image was shot at 72ppi and the extra pixels are just filled in by the computer and not really in the image.

My main question is actually how I can get a high resolution picture out of the camera. I do print them in large size image some times.

Let the printing software take care of setting the ppi. I use Qimage for all my printing, it takes care of re-sizing the image for the size being printed, interpolation when necessary, and final print sharpening. I'm sure Photoshop has a similar feature to re-size the image based on the print size, but Qimage is optimized for printing and excels at it.

Mark

Thank you for the clarification and info.  I think I just have this resolution out of the camera issue stuck in my head.  Now I understand it better.

Denomite
Like?
In reply to johna, 7 months ago

johna wrote:

Don't worry about the dpi or ppi. Your file sizes are large on a 70d. Plus, the photos are taken with a larger sensor than a micro 4/3.The dpi is just for monitor display which will use the 72 dpi. Some newer monitors use 96.That's what you're seeing when you view at 100%. You can zoom out to see what the image will look like at more condensed sizes that the 76x50 inches you mentioned. The ppi is for printing which you would also be condensing because you won't be printing at 76x50 inches!

I think for your purposes, to start out, you could shoot at a large jpg(under "Image Quality"). Then, in the P, Av, or Tv mode,use the Q button and pick a Picture Style - probably Standard. Then, under Detail Settings, you can chose your own settings for sharpness, contrast, and whatever. You could set the sharpness and contrast fairly high for product type shots.

Try that out first. You would still have high resolution images that they want and would be a good starting point for you. You can work on your RAW post processing skills later as you get more comfortable.

This is excellent.  I played with the settings as you mentioned, yes, pictures now are much much sharper than before.  Now I feel I really have a better camera than before.

I have experimented with various setting on the camera.  Just could not figure out how to get the settings as you have pointed out.

This is a very good start for me to learn more about this camera.  Thank you

Droppingin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,311Gear list
Like?

I would suggest the OP get a good book on digital photography because it sounds like you got more equipment than your current knowledge. It is very easy to understand once you read a little bit. There should be plenty at the bookstore. Then when you post here you will get better answers to your questions.

What post processing software are you using, DPP?

Once you understand more you will want to shoot raw most of the time. Specially your critical work like the product photography because you have more control of your images.

-- hide signature --

Its easy to be a holy man on a mountain top.

Droppingin's gear list:Droppingin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
Peter Marchant
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?
In reply to Droppingin, 7 months ago

Droppingin wrote:

I would suggest the OP get a good book on digital photography because it sounds like you got more equipment than your current knowledge. It is very easy to understand once you read a little bit. There should be plenty at the bookstore. Then when you post here you will get better answers to your questions.

I think that's good advice.  The 70D is a new model and a few books have been rushed out.  I'm waiting for the book that seems to be from the best camera guide series (judging by user reports) - the one by David Busch.

If anyone here can suggest a better guide to the 70D, I'd appreciate an insight.

Peter

Peter Marchant's gear list:Peter Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +6 more
mailman88
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,797Gear list
Like?

Mark B. wrote:

Denomite wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Denomite wrote:

Mark

Thank you Mark.

Let the printing software take care of setting the ppi. I use Qimage for all my printing, it takes care of re-sizing the image for the size being printed, interpolation when necessary, and final print sharpening. I'm sure Photoshop has a similar feature to re-size the image based on the print size, but Qimage is optimized for printing and excels at it.

Mark

MARK is correct about Qimage. The best printing software in the business. Qimage will show you what your PPI will be after you select your print size before you print.

My best investment in printing...buying Qimage Ultimate.

Try it.....free trial

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/trial.htm

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
digital4dummies.com
Senior MemberPosts: 2,124
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, 7 months ago

Busch's 70D book is being delivered to warehouses right now.  Now it's up to the retailers to log it and start sending them out.

David

Y0GI
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,210Gear list
Like?

Denomite wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Denomite wrote:

As was mentioned, DPI (PPI) is only a marker.

If you want sharper images, then use whatever sharpening tools you prefer. It may also be a technique issue, but can't tell without more info.

R2

-- hide signature --

Thank you R2D2.

I need to take some product pictures and the customers usually require us to submit high resolution pictures. at 72ppi, it is not high resolution. So I am just wondering if I can get pictures in high resolution with the camera.

If you are dealing with Luddites that think that the embedded DPI is important, you can edit this number to display up to 99,999 in Canon's Digital Photo Pro.

-- hide signature --

Yogi
When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!
See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.
Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1905744226/rebel-forum-faq

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads