Recent B&H Purchase and CC Fraud

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
mmshoot
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Recent B&H Purchase and CC Fraud
9 months ago

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen this week.

Purchased on Monday and today a charge of $1100 for telecom equipment in Brooklyn shows up.  My CC company declined the charge and contacted me.

Not saying that B&H is at fault, but they might have someone on the inside grabbing numbers.

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,273Gear list
Like?
Re: Recent B&H Purchase and CC Fraud
In reply to mmshoot, 9 months ago

B&H is a very reputable store.  You are doing them a disservice by trying to imply they had anything to do with your credit card fraud.

If you have anything beyond your own delussion, perhaps you should contact the police.

You might also want to review your own credit card history.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mmshoot
Like?
In reply to GodSpeaks, 9 months ago

Thanks for nothing...I know what B&H is all about.

If you had actually read the post instead of looking for a reason to condescend and correct, you'd see that I was not saying that B&H is at fault.

If others have recently had transactions and then their card was used for another purchase, it might be of benefit for B&H to know this and get to the bottom of it.

Have you purchased from them in the past week?  If not, keep your wisdom to yourself as you have nothing to add.

Maybe you've never worked in a place that has access to credit card numbers.  I have.  It just takes one person to commit a fraud and it's pretty easy to do.

I'd prefer it not to be B&H related at all, but if it is, asking about it here seems like as good a place as any.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,693
Like?

mmshoot wrote:

Purchased on Monday and today a charge of $1100 for telecom equipment in Brooklyn shows up. My CC company declined the charge and contacted me.

Not saying that B&H is at fault, but they might have someone on the inside grabbing numbers.

It could also be a hack/breach elsewhere in the credit card payment processing chain.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52671792

Cheers,
Doug

mmshoot
Like?
In reply to Doug J, 9 months ago

No doubt...and if hasn't happened to people here, then it is.

Richard Weisgrau
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,090
Like?

Like you and others I doubt that the problem is at B&H.

I have had three occasions in the past year alone when my CC company caught an illegal attempt to charge to my CC. I always request a new card number. Then I have to update all my profile at Internet suppliers I buy from – a real pain in the butt.

I have an attorney friend who handles CC fraud case for cardholders who have had their cards used by CC thieves and who are having problems over it with the CC company. Yes, CC companies don't always catch the bad transactions and when they do not they are quick to make the CC holder the loser for not living up to the CC agreement. He has reviewed all sorts of data about CC theft in the defense of his clients. In a nutshell here is what he has told me. While is is possible that your CC will be compromised by hackers, retail store employees, card readers (people) at retail venues, the most common source of theft is at places where you pay by CC in person and the business has a relatively high turnover of staff or no way to track who processed the CC transaction. Restaurants are high o n the list because waitpersons often take your card and set it into a que for a cashier to process it. While in the que some backstage employees have access and can copy the #s and Exp date and security code on the back. In some cases the waitperson steals the info. Obviously, there are other places this can happen but restaurants have a higher employee turnover than many businesses. My lawyer friend points out that once a CC leaves your sight it can be easily compromised.

Last year my wife and my brother and sister in law went to dinner at a Four Seasons Hotel restaurant to celebrate an anniversary. My brother in law paid his half of the bill with an AMEX card he had just received and never used before. Keep in mind that this is a high end restaurant that handles hundreds of CC transactions on site every day. The next day AMEX called him to say that someone had tried to charge over a thousand dollars electronics to his card. They detected the fraud and stopped the transaction.

My lawyer friend also told me that there are two things to be very aware of. First is that many CC thieves will not try to use a stolen card for months after they acquire the number and data. Often they charge a small amount to the card and then later a slightly larger amount. If those transactions are not caught they go for a big dollar transaction. The lesson to be learned is to check you CC statement carefully. I check my CC transactions online ( I only use one card) once every week to be certain that no one has use the card illegally.

Have a debit card that can be used for credit transactions? Be careful, they get stolen too and those transactions do not require a PIN be entered. Review your debit card agreement and you might decide to limit the use of the  card to debit transactions only. Many debit cards do not have the same cardholder protections as credit cards.

Be safe and good luck out there.

-- hide signature --

Richard Weisgrau
www.drawnwithlight.com
www.show-my-house.com

Tee Dub
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?

'tis the season..... Thanks for the heads up !

Hope things work out for you.

TW

mmshoot wrote:

Purchased on Monday and today a charge of $1100 for telecom equipment in Brooklyn shows up. My CC company declined the charge and contacted me.

Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
Thanks for the heads up

Will be keeping an eye on the cc statement.

mmshoot
Like?
In reply to Richard Weisgrau, 9 months ago

Good advice to be sure.  I've been lucky.  This is the first time I've had an account compromised.

yonsarh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,121Gear list
Like?

mmshoot wrote:

I believe B& H has strict policy ordering by CC.  you must verify clearance credit card that you're owner.

yonsarh's gear list:yonsarh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
JFMoore
Regular MemberPosts: 313
Like?
Re: Well summarized

CC fraud happens all the time.  We all have to decide if we want to be scared of using our cards or not.  I choose to just use the things and deal with a cancellation maybe every two years.  This is on cards with dozens of purchases per month.  Basically best to always have a backup card, especially if you travel and not having a card would be a problem.

Debit cards are a joke to me, I never use them as anything but ATM access.  Having them active for purchases is in some ways worse than having a checkbook full of signed blank checks in your pocket.  They are worthless for building credit too.

digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,421Gear list
Like?
Have you checked your pc for virus? (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,421Gear list
Like?
I have sent henryP a message since the OP has not (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,817Gear list
Like?

Richard Weisgrau wrote:

My lawyer friend also told me that there are two things to be very aware of. First is that many CC thieves will not try to use a stolen card for months after they acquire the number and data. Often they charge a small amount to the card and then later a slightly larger amount. If those transactions are not caught they go for a big dollar transaction.

Thank you. Credit card piracy is a wholesale industry. If not hacked en masse, an individual thief obtains your card info by whatever means and sells it to a middleman who bundles your info with dozens or hundreds of others. Then that "deck" of purloined card info is wholesaled to distributors who might sell a hundred or ten or one. That takes time so if the pirate who bought yours only bought one, there's still the chance months could pass. But what's more often the case is the pirates start using the first stolen card in their deck until it is cut off and then move on to the second until it goes dry and so on. That could take quite a bit of time. The result is your card could have been boosted months before you used it here and the pirate's activity is likely entirely unrelated to your purchase with us.

In fact it's quite likely that a thief sat on the credit card information for weeks or months before using it. What further slows the process is a pirate may test a card on small, easily overlooked, transactions before using it for a few big scores. That too adds to the overall time between when your card info may have initially been purloined and when the problem rears its head to you.

The New York Times has additional information on this at <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/card-data-is-stolen-and-sold/>.
More recently they also posted this: <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/06/03/malware-that-drains-your-bank-account-thriving-on-facebook> about Zeus, a Trojan horse program that's all but undetectable and almost impossible to eradicate once you're infected.

B&H is not shirking our responsibility for online safety and security and there's always a possibility of a security breach but it's less likely than the scenario I describe above. Also, while we've received a bare handful of similar complaints throughout 2011-13, none has turned out to have originated here, making the chance the OP's situation did even less likely. Nevertheless, we're sorry for this and will investigate.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
henryp
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,817Gear list
Like?
Re: I have sent henryP a message since the OP has not
In reply to digitalshooter, 9 months ago

digitalshooter wrote:
I have sent henryP a message since the OP has not

Thank you. Always appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
sterretje
Contributing MemberPosts: 660Gear list
Like?

mmshoot wrote:

you'd see that I was not saying that B&H is at fault.

Your title screams that there is a link between B&H and the fraud. Your text has a short text stating that it might not B&H.

Guess what the people will remember.

By the way, I've had the unpleasant experience that my card was skimmed. The last payment I made with it was in June (and I doubt very much that that was the place where it was skimmed), in December the baddies went to the bank and withdrew 1200 Euro cash at the counter.

-- hide signature --

WimS

sterretje's gear list:sterretje's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Pentax K-5
Trafford
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,550
Like?
In reply to sterretje, 9 months ago

sterretje wrote:

mmshoot wrote:

you'd see that I was not saying that B&H is at fault.

Your title screams that there is a link between B&H and the fraud. Your text has a short text stating that it might not B&H.

Guess what the people will remember.

By the way, I've had the unpleasant experience that my card was skimmed. The last payment I made with it was in June (and I doubt very much that that was the place where it was skimmed), in December the baddies went to the bank and withdrew 1200 Euro cash at the counter.

-- hide signature --

WimS

What is skimmed? Is it when the CC information has been copied?

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?

mmshoot wrote:

So rather than contact B&H and alerting them, you post this here.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
sterretje
Contributing MemberPosts: 660Gear list
Like?
In reply to Trafford, 9 months ago

Yes; it's the term that I've learned for it.

-- hide signature --

WimS

sterretje's gear list:sterretje's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Pentax K-5
mmshoot
Like?
Re: Have you checked your pc for virus? (nt)
In reply to digitalshooter, 9 months ago

Sophos runs every night...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads