70D why doesn't the af assist beam fire in live view?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Wolfkc
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
70D why doesn't the af assist beam fire in live view?
8 months ago

I haven't found anything specific that says that but it seems to be the case. Maybe there is a mode to manually select while in live view that will allow it?

I know it's really annoying, but sometimes in low light situations what else can you do? Maybe manual focus.

Wolfkc's gear list:Wolfkc's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lee Baby Simms
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D why doesn't the af assist beam fire in live view?
In reply to Wolfkc, 8 months ago

menu > red menu #2 > Silent LV shoot, Disable

-- hide signature --

wedding shooter - canon gear (currently) - not a brand zealot

http://www.tomkphoto.com/canon-70d-wedding-photographer-review

Lee Baby Simms's gear list:Lee Baby Simms's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wolfkc
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lee Baby Simms, 8 months ago

Lee Baby Simms wrote:

menu > red menu #2 > Silent LV shoot, Disable

-- hide signature --

wedding shooter - canon gear (currently) - not a brand zealot

http://www.tomkphoto.com/canon-70d-wedding-photographer-review

I've tried all the Silent LV shoot options and none of them enable the assist. Also tried with and without the flash popped up. This is in P mode.

Wolfkc's gear list:Wolfkc's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
davel33
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wolfkc, 8 months ago

The 70D will not AF assist in the LV PDAF mode except with the 320EX flash.  The 70D will use the LED on the 320EX for focus assist.

Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +10 more
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,495Gear list
Like?
In reply to davel33, 8 months ago

davel33 wrote:

The 70D will not AF assist in the LV PDAF mode except with the 320EX flash. The 70D will use the LED on the 320EX for focus assist.

Dave

That's good to know. Does it use the LED for focus assist using the optical viewfinder too? I don't know why Canon didn't design the 320EX to use the LED as a focus assist light from day one.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
davel33
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

davel33 wrote:

The 70D will not AF assist in the LV PDAF mode except with the 320EX flash. The 70D will use the LED on the 320EX for focus assist.

Dave

That's good to know. Does it use the LED for focus assist using the optical viewfinder too? I don't know why Canon didn't design the 320EX to use the LED as a focus assist light from day one.

It will use the LED in LV with both the CD focus and the new twin-pixel focus but never in any form of the Quick focus LV or VF  The 70D will also turn on the LED in video if needed and turn it off when not needed and I did not see a control for that other then the auto/man led switch on the flash.

Dave

davel33's gear list:davel33's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads