70D multi shot noise reduction

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Wolfkc
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
70D multi shot noise reduction
8 months ago

This is under "high ISO speed NR". When you set the NR mode, does it always take 4 shots or only when the ISO is high? I assume this works just like HandHeld Night Scene mode. Also I assume that it always does 4 shots when this is set and it's not dependant on the light level or actual ISO? It would seem odd to me if ISO was in auto then some shots would be 4 and some single.

I've not played with high ISO speed NR much. Is it better to shoot raw and do post process noise reduction, or is it a time saver with just as good quality to use this? I've just started using DXO and like the Prime noise reduction; and started using RAW more.

Wolfkc's gear list:Wolfkc's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,398Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D multi shot noise reduction
In reply to Wolfkc, 8 months ago

Wolfkc wrote:

This is under "high ISO speed NR". When you set the NR mode, does it always take 4 shots or only when the ISO is high? I assume this works just like HandHeld Night Scene mode. Also I assume that it always does 4 shots when this is set and it's not dependant on the light level or actual ISO? It would seem odd to me if ISO was in auto then some shots would be 4 and some single.

I've not played with high ISO speed NR much. Is it better to shoot raw and do post process noise reduction, or is it a time saver with just as good quality to use this? I've just started using DXO and like the Prime noise reduction; and started using RAW more.

Noise will be significantly lower when using this mode.  You are limited to jpegs though and all that entails.  I've found it to be quite useful (when the camera nails the white balance).

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wolfkc
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 8 months ago

R2D2 wrote:

Wolfkc wrote:

Noise will be significantly lower when using this mode. You are limited to jpegs though and all that entails. I've found it to be quite useful (when the camera nails the white balance).

R2

-- hide signature --

Not sure what you by it's 'quite useful (when the camera nails the white balance)'.  what does white balance have to do with it?

Wolfkc's gear list:Wolfkc's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,398Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wolfkc, 8 months ago

Wolfkc wrote:

Not sure what you by it's 'quite useful (when the camera nails the white balance)'. what does white balance have to do with it?

Ooops. Sorry. I was referring to Handheld Night Scene Mode (no WB control).

You can preset White Balance when using Multi Shot Noise Reduction (though you're still stuck with jpegs).

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads