X-e2 "Boat Parade question" ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
notdarkyet
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
X-e2 "Boat Parade question" ?
4 months ago

I have the 18-55 & the 55-200 lens. In years past was able to get some keepers in shooting the Boat parades with my old  Nikon & 50mm prime. Shooting moving lights in the dark aint easy, does anyone have a sugestion in trying this with the X-e2?

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lambert4
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
Based on the EXIF in those you should be fine
In reply to notdarkyet, 4 months ago

I don't think you will lose anything at all with the zooms over the primes,  and you have better high ISO on the Fuji now.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,198Gear list
Like?
Re: X-e2 "Boat Parade question" ?

Just some ideas.

I go with the zoom since you have stabilization on your side tripod or not. Focus lock on the boat, stop down the lens as much as possible, use exposure compensation (plus side) to your advantage. Then adjust ISO last.

Manually set Dynamic Range and ISO as well as auto focus.

Back to the aperture issue. By all means keep a fast prime with you just in case. I would not meter off the water.

You may have to use manual focus, maybe as a last resort. I know the lenses do not have an Infinity setting per se, but I would try to set focus for distance (long), that with stopping down the lens helps.

If you can use a mono-pod get a cable release (electronic) that will focus and shoot for you. Getting the camera out of your hands is one less point that can add vibration. I have used my camera bag as a make shift support in the past.

Use the Spot or center weight meter, do not use the advanced meter, does not do well with low light IMO. Spot meter works well with the Moon to shoot, and the lights on the boats are sort of like the Moon, one overbearing light source, worth a try.

Last, read the owners manual and understand and comprehend what the camera will do if you set Auto rather then some of the manually items I suggested you set.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?

Turn OIS on on the lenses.

Set ISO to Auto3200. With minimum shutter speed set to 1/125th second.

Set Shutter speed dial to Auto.

Set Aperture to wide open (or nearly so).

Set Photometry to Spot.

Use AutoFocus Single, setting the AF square to a small size.

Set NR to -2, and Dynamic Range to Auto.

Shoot RAW + Jpeg. (This will enable you to generate alternate JPEG rendering of the same shot in-camera.)

If the first couple of shots do not seem sharp enough, set AutoISO minimum shutter speed to 1/250th, and consider raising ISO to Auto6400.

-- hide signature --

Another alternative is to set aperture to Auto and try various shutter speeds (i.e. shoot in S mode).  If the boats are moving slowly, 1/60th might work. If the preview shows your shots are fuzzy, try shooting at 1/250th.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
uniball
Regular MemberPosts: 375
Like?

Hope there's no wind. You need to shoot as fast as possible. Tripods and ois won't help anything, the motion is at the other end.

Chris Dodkin
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,697Gear list
Like?
Shot one on Sunday

X-Pro1 and 23mm Lens

AF had no issue on single shot mode - plenty to grab focus on

I was at 6400 shooting RAW, used the widest aperture on my lens, and was still at 1/30 - so light may be a challenge for you. (But you knew that already)

Happy with the results - DR from RAW was impressive, especially given the trying subject matter and lighting conditions. No issues shooting handheld (even without any OIS).

-- hide signature --

http://www.dodkin.com
Chris@1D-Images.com
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro/iPods/iPhones/iPad

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +34 more
notdarkyet
Like?
Re: Shot one on Sunday
In reply to Chris Dodkin, 4 months ago

Thanks! For all your input. I will copy your suggestions down and see what happens. Didnt work out when I tried to use a tripod in the past, so will hand hold. Very new to this camera. [one week]
    I am leaning on using the 18-55 over the 55-200........I dont have a prime yet for the fuji.

I am a little confused by the IS Mode  setting [in camera] I have it set for "Shooting Only" as this seems to make more sense?    I did have some good luck shooting our Holiday Parade at night at Iso 6400. The Fuji has crazy good low noise capabilities! My old Nikon d-300 had horrible noise at 3200..........

-- hide signature --

Charlie

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?

notdarkyet wrote:

Thanks! For all your input. I will copy your suggestions down and see what happens. Didnt work out when I tried to use a tripod in the past, so will hand hold. Very new to this camera. [one week]
I am leaning on using the 18-55 over the 55-200........I dont have a prime yet for the fuji.

I am a little confused by the IS Mode setting [in camera] I have it set for "Shooting Only" as this seems to make more sense? I did have some good luck shooting our Holiday Parade at night at Iso 6400. The Fuji has crazy good low noise capabilities! My old Nikon d-300 had horrible noise at 3200..........

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Keeping OIS on at slow shutter speeds will help to correct for any camera shake while taking the picture -- even with these boat shots.  What it won't correct for is boat motion.

If you are going to be shooting at 55mm, you'll likely get better shots from the 55-200mm than from the 18-55. The longer lens is faster (wider aperture) at 55mm. It may also be sharper.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
notdarkyet
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 4 months ago

Maybe I will start out with the 55-200 and see how the first few boats look?  i know when the boats "speed" by, you can forget about a decent pic anyway. Last year I tried a few boats with my x100 with absolutely no luck..........Using the Nikon d-300 with a 50 mm prime, I got maybe 35% of the boats with usable shots, the boats with one solid color a much higher rate.

-- hide signature --

Charlie

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,198Gear list
Like?

Turn stabilization off when on a tripod/mono-pod.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
jrk
jrk
Contributing MemberPosts: 909Gear list
Like?

Took this last year with my X100.  This is straight OOC, no processing.

Annapolis - Parade of Lights 2012

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
notdarkyet
Like?
In reply to jrk, 4 months ago

Took a few test shots of lights last night at 6400 with the 55-200 lens.......They look great but of course not moving boat lights........

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads