70D auto light optimizer only affects jpgs right?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
Wolfkc
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
70D auto light optimizer only affects jpgs right?
11 months ago

ALO is effectively disabled for RAW? How about Hightlight Priority?

Wolfkc's gear list:Wolfkc's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
ANSWER:
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?
Re: 70D auto light optimizer only affects jpgs right?
In reply to Wolfkc, 11 months ago

Wolfkc wrote:

ALO is effectively disabled for RAW? How about Hightlight Priority?

ALO does not affect RAW file data, only the embedded JPEG. HTP does affect RAW file data.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,636Gear list
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, 11 months ago

As a RAW shooter, I ignore a good portion of these type of settings. It simplifies matters making these decisions after the fact, and for me, a much better way to work.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,743Gear list
Like?
In reply to skanter, 11 months ago

skanter wrote:

As a RAW shooter, I ignore a good portion of these type of settings. It simplifies matters making these decisions after the fact, and for me, a much better way to work.

+1  Same here.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
RS_RS
Like?
In reply to skanter, 11 months ago

skanter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Up to a point. If you use the embedded JPEG to review images then it is quite a good idea to choose settings that make it as useful as possible, even if the RAW data is what will be used back at the ranch.. For me, ALO is not something I use, but I do apply an appropriate level of in-camera sharpening so as to be able to assess focus accuracy as easily as possible. HTP is a different matter, since it does affect the RAW data, and I use it when needed.

rdspear
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,259
Like?
In reply to RS_RS, 11 months ago

RS_RS wrote:

skanter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Up to a point. If you use the embedded JPEG to review images then it is quite a good idea to choose settings that make it as useful as possible, even if the RAW data is what will be used back at the ranch.. For me, ALO is not something I use, but I do apply an appropriate level of in-camera sharpening so as to be able to assess focus accuracy as easily as possible. HTP is a different matter, since it does affect the RAW data, and I use it when needed.

I'm the complete opposite.  I have the JPEG settings such that the histogram best represents the actual RAW file histogram. This requires turning many of hte settings to their minimums, meaning the JPEG would actually look terrible.  A good looking JPEG will give you clipping blinkies and a maxed histogram with a full stop of RAW headroom remaining. I look at the JPEG for framing only.

RS_RS
Like?
In reply to rdspear, 11 months ago

rdspear wrote:

RS_RS wrote:

skanter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

I'm the complete opposite. I have the JPEG settings such that the histogram best represents the actual RAW file histogram. This requires turning many of hte settings to their minimums, meaning the JPEG would actually look terrible. A good looking JPEG will give you clipping blinkies and a maxed histogram with a full stop of RAW headroom remaining. I look at the JPEG for framing only.

No, you are completely the same, in the sense that you choose settings o make the JPEG as useful as possible to you. I said nothing about making it good-looking.

birdbrain
Senior MemberPosts: 3,327Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D auto light optimizer only affects jpgs right? Depends.
In reply to Wolfkc, 11 months ago

If you use Canon's DPP then opening a RAW file where ALO was on the image displayed will have ALO applied, you can turn it off or adjust the amount within DPP.

Opening the file in any other RAW converter and there will be no ALO applied to the image.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads