Will my NEX go the same way as my R1?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,791
Like?
Will my NEX go the same way as my R1?
9 months ago

I keep reading that the NEX is gone (long thread on this forum). However, every night I check my camera bag to make sure it has not disappeared, it hasn't!

My R1 is 10 years old. This summer I took it on a cruse along with my C3 & Zeiss 24mm lens usually alternating days with each camera. Without looking at the EXIF file its hard to tell which camera took the picture except for some obvious pics with the R1 with a FOV that could not come from 24mm.

I don't care if SONY does not make another NEX type camera regardless of the name. I am quite satisfied with both the C3 & 5R (got the 5R for the  view finder) and expect it to provide at least 10 years of photo fun as my R1 still does. Because a manufacture discontinues a product line (its not clear that Sony has abandon the NEX type camera) it does not make the camera and lenses obsolete.

I'm still waiting for an R2 and until it comes I'll continue using the R1. Check the Sony Cyber camera forum and see the wonderful pics still being produced by the R1. I think 10 years from now you will still see great pics from the NEX cameras.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,197Gear list
Like?
RX10...
In reply to Jerry R, 9 months ago

... is the R1 replacement. Sony likely didn't replace R1 with another (almost) APSc prosumer body likely because it now had Sony Alpha (2006) DSLRs. And until now when smaller sensor (1" and m43) have become quite popular.

As far as NEX goes, its primarily about renaming that line to represent the Alpha brand that they were always supposed to. Instead the name became synonymous with Alpha (instead of Alpha NEX) and even E-mount. I have seen many assume that NEX isn't even APSc (its really bad when the person is actually a professional). That, and a dramatic upgrade to UI that has been a NEX sore spot except may be on NEX-6. The new interface will be as seen in A7/7r and RX10, and familiar to A-mount users.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aSevenArr
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
Re: Will my NEX go the same way as my R1?

I keep reading that the NEX is gone (long thread on this forum). However, every night I check my camera bag to make sure it has not disappeared, it hasn't!

That's funny!

Yes, some people on the forums seem to worry much more about having the very latest gear than they do about actually taking pictures as if the former was going to do the latter for them all by itself.

Oh well... different strokes I suppose.

BTW, my NEX-7 still takes awesome pictures! I'm trying to make sure that it doesn't get a chance to read these threads

Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,831Gear list
Like?

I think they're worried about no more new aps/c E-mount lenses and firmware updates.  Of course the NEX cameras will still be usable for a long while.  I'm keeping mine.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?
Re: RX10...
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

Indeed, they are only discontinuing the name.

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -
Paris through 'purple' glass http://hip2.free.fr/
My humble galleries http://www.flickr.com/photos/hip1

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
Jerry R
Like?
aSevenArr, thanks, I'll keep my NEX cameras away from those threads.
In reply to aSevenArr, 9 months ago
-- hide signature --

Jerry R
Like?
Re: RX10... The RX10 is no R1. It does not have the top LCD ( like a medium format camera)
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

Re: RX10... The RX10 is no R1. It does not have the top LCD ( like a medium format camera), and all the exposure parameters can be set without going to menus. Not to mention the 24 to 120 eq. FOV of the fantastic Zeiss lens.

-- hide signature --

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,197Gear list
Like?
Re: RX10... The RX10 is no R1. It does not have the top LCD ( like a medium format camera)

Re: RX10... The RX10 is no R1. It does not have the top LCD ( like a medium format camera), and all the exposure parameters can be set without going to menus. Not to mention the 24 to 120 eq. FOV of the fantastic Zeiss lens.

-- hide signature --

R1 had an articulating LCD, but so does RX10. The location is the only difference. RX10 actually has exposure controls without having to dig into the menu. In fact, it is very similar to A7 and A7r in that regard and something NEX replacements will see. It is also a familiar user interface to A-mount users like me.

The lens is still a Sony Zeiss Vario Sonnar (24-200/2.8 equiv on RX10 instead of 24-120/2.8-4.8 equiv on R1).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
tex
tex
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,193Gear list
Like?
I'm thinking of making my NEX 7 my pano camera
In reply to aSevenArr, 9 months ago

I've got an older (2006) Nodal Ninja, which is a bit light for my A850.  When I get my A7r, it might be a bit too much for stitching up panos.  The physical size and the file size of the NEX 7 could really be a winner here.  It will work beautifully with that Nodal Ninja.

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Pentax 645Z Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +16 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,550
Like?
do you have nightmares?

Some folks seem to have insecurity feelings, which only increase in this time of market shifts and rapid camera obsolescence. That's understandable, but they are looking for a relief in the wrong places, they probably need a shrink, rather than spilling their insecurities in the forum.

-- hide signature --

There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people. -- Thomas Jefferson

UnderDriven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

Jerry R wrote:

I'm still waiting for an R2 and until it comes I'll continue using the R1.

You and me both! Sony has come tantalizingly close to producing an R2, although they always come up short. Of course, it all depends on what you think the R2 should be. If you don't want interchangeable lenses, then some might say the RX10 is the R2--but the sensor is too small (technically the R1 sensor was a bit smaller than APS-C, but not by much).

For myself, I always thought the R2 should be an interchangeable lens camera--there is only so much you can do with a single lens, even if it is as good as the R1 lens. The NEX cameras have the wrong form factor, although I guess you can get a 3rd party grip for the NEX-7. SLT cameras certainly aren't the R2, although I went with an A55 and A57 out of necessity. I suppose my R2 would be an A7000, with E-mount, EVF, and a fully articulated LCD. Who knows if that will ever happen...

-- hide signature --

“The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!” --Henri Cartier-Bresson

UnderDriven's gear list:UnderDriven's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
Jerry R
Like?
UnderDriven, the 5R with the EVF, in my opinion, is as close as Sony has come to
In reply to UnderDriven, 9 months ago

UnderDriven, the 5R with the EVF, in my opinion, is as close as Sony has come to an "R2". I would be happy with an R1+, an R1with a fixed telhoto  lens.

-- hide signature --

UnderDriven
Like?
Re: UnderDriven, the 5R with the EVF, in my opinion, is as close as Sony has come to

Jerry R wrote:

UnderDriven, the 5R with the EVF, in my opinion, is as close as Sony has come to an "R2". I would be happy with an R1+, an R1with a fixed telhoto lens.

My issues with the NEX-5 are (1) form factor, (2) lack of controls, and (3) no fully articulating screen. I suppose I could deal with #1 and #3--but I still prefer a camera I can easily hold in my hand, and a tilt screen that can also be angled to the left/right as on my A55 and A57 (although fully articulated would be even better, like on my Panasonic G1). However, #2 really is a departure from the R1--I need more buttons and dials than the NEX-5 provides, especially since I am not interested in a small form factor camera in the first place. Since both the NEX-6 and NEX-7 improve upon #2, I'd have to say they are closer to the R2 I would like to see...

Perhaps the NEX-6/7 with the 16-70mm Zeiss is as close as Sony will ever get to the R2...

-- hide signature --

“The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!” --Henri Cartier-Bresson

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
Karsten Meyer
Contributing MemberPosts: 722
Like?
Re: UnderDriven, the 5R with the EVF, in my opinion, is as close as Sony has come to

UnderDriven wrote:

My issues with the NEX-5 are (1) form factor, (2) lack of controls, and (3) no fully articulating screen. I suppose I could deal with #1 and #3--but I still prefer a camera I can easily hold in my hand, and a tilt screen that can also be angled to the left/right as on my A55 and A57 (although fully articulated would be even better, like on my Panasonic G1).

I would never again buy a camera with a display like the Panasonic G models have. Why? You need much too much time to open it for usage. So I find my NEX-5R almost the best solution: I can open it with a snip of my finger. So I have taken some pictures while a Panasnic user is still fiddling with his display.
I guess the Panasonic type of display is only working for people who use mostly the finder.

And about an R1 successor: I can't imagine a design which has a big(!) display on top of the camera. Yes, there had been such designs - I think of the cameras with the joint where the part with the lens is swivelling. But can someone imagine such a beast with a changeable lens?

Btw: The biggest advantage of the R1 in comparison with my NEX for me is the ability to use it totally silent. So for me the R10 might be a decent successor of the R1.

-- hide signature --

--> See my photos on http://gplus.to/KarstenMeyer

markus_munich
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?

...I dont' dare to confess, but...I still use the first Nex 5, partly with the SEL35, partly with an 80ies Nikkor 50 1.4 Ai via Novoflex. Some of the photos I took like that were even published in book's backflaps...

I just had a look in my closet. Nex is still sitting in its comfy little Lowe bag...

-- hide signature --

Nex5, Novoflex NikNex adaptor, SEL 35 1.8, Nikkor Ai 50/1.4; Fuji FinePix X20

markus_munich's gear list:markus_munich's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +1 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Stop reading the doom and gloom posts?

Jerry R wrote:

I keep reading that the NEX is gone (long thread on this forum).

Here's an idea - assume the NEX form factor lives until Sony tells you it doesn't.

NEX APS-C cameras account for 30% of the mirrorless interchangeable lens market in Japan, an incredibly important market for all Japanese camera makers. It simply makes no sense for them to discontinue making such cameras.

Use the time reading pointless threads to go shoot, or alternatively you can keep reading the doom and gloom threads put forward by certain folks, and move no further forward.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,208
Like?
Re: Stop reading the doom and gloom posts?
In reply to sroute, 9 months ago

sroute wrote:

Jerry R wrote:

I keep reading that the NEX is gone (long thread on this forum).

Here's an idea - assume the NEX form factor lives until Sony tells you it doesn't.

NEX APS-C cameras account for 30% of the mirrorless interchangeable lens market in Japan, an incredibly important market for all Japanese camera makers. It simply makes no sense for them to discontinue making such cameras.

Use the time reading pointless threads to go shoot, or alternatively you can keep reading the doom and gloom threads put forward by certain folks, and move no further forward.

Reminds me of the spotting of the next Ricoh GXR model.  The old one ain't bust yet, wait a while, Sony might sell them some FF sensors ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

UnderDriven
Like?
In reply to Karsten Meyer, 9 months ago

Karsten Meyer wrote:

I would never again buy a camera with a display like the Panasonic G models have. Why? You need much too much time to open it for usage. So I find my NEX-5R almost the best solution: I can open it with a snip of my finger. So I have taken some pictures while a Panasnic user is still fiddling with his display.

For what I shoot I have plenty of time--everyone has different needs...

I guess the Panasonic type of display is only working for people who use mostly the finder.

Most of my work is on a tripod, using the LCD. I sometimes need to stand to the side of the tripod, so I like an LCD that has lots of movement...

And about an R1 successor: I can't imagine a design which has a big(!) display on top of the camera. Yes, there had been such designs - I think of the cameras with the joint where the part with the lens is swivelling. But can someone imagine such a beast with a changeable lens?

It's not that it was on top, but that it was fully articulated. I agree that it is highly unlikely we will ever see an LCD on top of the camera again...

Btw: The biggest advantage of the R1 in comparison with my NEX for me is the ability to use it totally silent. So for me the R10 might be a decent successor of the R1.

That is important for some people, but in my case the sound doesn't matter. The RX10 may be a good camera for some people, although the sensor is very small. But if you want an all-in-one camera the RX10 may be the solution...

-- hide signature --

UnderDriven
Like?
In reply to sroute, 9 months ago

sroute wrote:

Sony customers have a lot of angst because they don't trust Sony. Sony either doesn't realize this, or they don't care--either way, it makes them seem even less trustworthy...

-- hide signature --

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

UnderDriven wrote:
Sony customers have a lot of angst because they don't trust Sony. Sony either doesn't realize this, or they don't care--either way, it makes them seem even less trustworthy...

I hear that frequently yet no one ever cites specifics.

Therefore, please cite specific instances where Sony has given NEX owners reason to not trust them. Extend that look to any Sony still camera system if you must.

It trust is such a problem it should be easy to compile a huge list.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads