The big question for A7 and A7r - which lenses are you going to use with them?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,743Gear list
Like?
The big question for A7 and A7r - which lenses are you going to use with them?
Dec 11, 2013

2 new great cameras, 3 new lenses to go with them. Not all lenses work well with these cameras. They are not universal like I thought they were going to be. Bummer. Still they handle many many lenses but this forum could be an invaluable resource for finding out which ones work and which don't.

So what lenses have you found that work well on your A7  or A7r?

I can start:

A7R:

Nikon AIS 50, 28 F2.8, 105 F2.5

Nikon 24-70 F2.8 ED.

Nikon 85mm F1.8g - very good.

Nikon 50mm F1.8g - very good.

Nikon 14-24 F2.8ED  no good, bad edge smearing - bummer one of my favourite lenses!!

Contax G 45 and 90 very good, 45 is exceptional and so far my favourite (also compact and looks great with the black body)

Contax g  28mm no good - magenta and side shading. Fotodiox adapter.

Samyang 24 F.1.4  - very good

Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye emount - vignettes a lot as its an apsc lens but could be cropped. Still extremely wide.

I have 2 Minolta Rokkor lenses awaiting an adapter. I am pretty sure these will work fine. 40mm F1.4 and 24mm F2.8. I suspect Rokkor and Minolta lenses should be a primary source of good cheap lenses for these cameras.

I'd love to hear more about widefields, Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses and Canon EF and Canon FD lenses that work with the camera.

Greg.

Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
docvale
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
Re: The big question for A7 and A7r - which lenses are you going to use with them?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Dec 11, 2013

Greg,

Since you're also a Fuji X shooter, how do you compare the performance of your Sony with the X-E1 and its super-fast optics?

Obviously, I'm just speaking about real word photography. Thanks.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: The big question for A7 and A7r - which lenses are you going to use with them?

I like the Contax Distagon 28/2.8 more than the Nikkor 28/2.8 Ai-S; it seems sharper from wide open and stop for stop, a little more micro-contrast may be contributing to that perception. Coatings on both seem up to the job. I own both; probably I'd buy the Nikkor again though if I wanted a consistent colour rendering and owned other Nikkors (as I do).

Am already shooting the Sony Zeiss FE35/2.8 and may add a faster 35mm manual focus prime down the road.

Nikkor 50/1.4 - not bad at all but believe the Sony Zeiss FE55/1.8 is going to seriously trounce it. I'll keep the latter if so. If not... I prefer the look of the Zeiss ZM C Sonnar 50/1.5 over the Nikkor 50/1.4.

Nikkor 85/2 Ai-S - very serviceable but not thrilling me; I much prefer the 85/1.8G which is a super solid performer and cheap too; I recently sold this one as I am not keen to put G lenses on this camera.

Nikkor 135/2 Ai-S - love the out of focus rendering but that's not camera specific. With extension tubes handy for some macro work. Probably going to keep mine, it's basically mint+. Heavy though.

Nikkor 20/3.5 - haven't used it enough on the A7r to pass judgement but what little shooting I've done with it shows central sharpness is great. Until I sort out a longer term ultra-wide I'm keeping it.

I don't own the 105/2.5 Ai-S but probably should; it's a lot lighter and probably more useful in an A7r kit than my 135/2.

John A Clark
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, Dec 11, 2013

Sigma 12-14 - manual focus only but seems sharp and covers the wide end until Sony release something as my Leica lenses this wide don't work ...

Distagon ZE 21 - looks great

Leica 28/2 ASPH/35/2 haven't decided on the day to day lens but both seem good at this stage

Viogtlander 50/1.1- feels better on the A7R than it ever did on the m9

Leica 75/2.5 Summarit-M

Bought the FE35, but seems boring in comparision - will probably skip the 55 and just buy the 24-70 zoom for days I'm Lazy.

Must say the camera is primarily a replacement for a 4/3 system I never really found inspirational, and to some extent the M9, but if I need fast focussing horsepower I can still use my Canon gear.

I'm finding the manual focussing makes me think more about what I'm shooting - the 1DIV I ignore the camera once set up and blast away (shooting rugby mainly) looking at the action and not the camera. With the M9 and A7 I take more time to consider settings, framing, etc. which is a good learning experience

-- hide signature --

Beauty is only a light switch away ...
www.clarkfamily.com.au

John A Clark's gear list:John A Clark's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha 7R Leica M9 +14 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,652Gear list
Like?

Way too early to comment on all my lenses, I'm not really feeling inspired with the cold weather,  I did try some of the lenses that would likely give me problems, and they were not bad, so I have great expectations.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,630Gear list
Like?

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

2 new great cameras, 3 new lenses to go with them. Not all lenses work well with these cameras. They are not universal like I thought they were going to be. Bummer. Still they handle many many lenses but this forum could be an invaluable resource for finding out which ones work and which don't.

So what lenses have you found that work well on your A7 or A7r?

I can start:

A7R:

Nikon 24-70 F2.8 ED.

Nikon 14-24 F2.8ED no good, bad edge smearing - bummer one of my favourite lenses!!

Contax G 45 and 90 very good, 45 is exceptional and so far my favourite (also compact and looks great with the black body)

Contax g 28mm no good - magenta and side shading. Fotodiox adapter.

Samyang 24 F.1.4 - very good

Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye emount - vignettes a lot as its an apsc lens but could be cropped. Still extremely wide.

I have 2 Minolta Rokkor lenses awaiting an adapter. I am pretty sure these will work fine. 40mm F1.4 and 24mm F2.8. I suspect Rokkor and Minolta lenses should be a primary source of good cheap lenses for these cameras.

I'd love to hear more about widefields, Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses and Canon EF and Canon FD lenses that work with the camera.

Greg.

Hi

Looking forward to using a Canon FD 85 1.2L,FD 50 1.2L and FD 24 1.4L

The first two i have and the third is on its way ...as is an adapter to let me use them.

I have got them to use on the A7, a GX7 and a Pentax Q7.....should be a lot of fun with those three lenses and three cameras.

The A7 should be great with them for live music.

Heres hoping they will be as good as I think......late next week I hope to know.

neil holmes's gear list:neil holmes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony Alpha 7S Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +18 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Dec 12, 2013

Manual focus, so far:

Zeiss 50mm f2 ZM Planar T

Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T ZF

On Metabones III:

Canon 17-40 f4L

Canon 24mm & 28mm f2.8 IS

Canon Ef-s 60mm Macro (prob. only Ef-s lens will use)

Canon 100mm f2

and also the kit lens

Sony 28-70mm 3.5-5.6 OSS

This is what I'm beginning to use at this point.

-- hide signature --

Dave

M Dennis Fern
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to neil holmes, Dec 12, 2013

I am still waiting for my A7R which I ordered from B&H about a month ago. I stopped by a Sony store yesterday and they had an A7 with the kit lens on display. I thought the kit lens was too large for the body. The store salesman was unfamiliar with the camera, so I did not particularly enjoy my brief time using it in the store. I may return with some of the lenses I intend to use and an SD card and see how my lenses do in the store during a brief workout with them.

I have 20 legacy Pentax PK lenses (from 20mm to 400mm, plus a variety of high quality Pentax extenders and a few exotic third party Pentax mount lenses, including a 7mm Sigma and a 14mm Russian lens of some kind) and several old Canon FD lenses (the most interesting of which is a 200MM f/4 macro), and I plan to try them all out eventually.

I am buying the camera primarily for use with my collection of lovely, small Leica lenses with a Novoflex adapter, however, with the hope the A7r is going to work out as a viable Leica M alternative. I have been eagerly reading every review I could find on using rangefinder lenses on the A7/A7r, and my takeaway is that they are somewhat confusing and conttradictory. Most of the reviews are very positive, even for so-called problem lenses like the CV 15mm and Elmarit 24mm, but then there are a few reviewers claiming color distortions, smearing, vignetting, etc., which were largely not apparent to me from illustrative photos they posted. Anyway, my intention is to try my Leica lenses myself and reach my own conclusions, that is assuming my camera arrives sometime in the reasonably near future so I am still able to take photos.

My primarily list of lenses therefore are the Elmarit 21mm, f/2.8; Elmarit 28mm f/2.8; Summicron 35 f/2; Summicron 50 f/2; Summarit 75mm f/2.5; Tele Elmar 90mm f:2.8; and Elmar 135mm f/4. All of these lenses other than the Summarit 75mm were purchased between 1998-2001, so they are modern lenses, but not the "Asph" versions. The Summarit is a recent acquisition. I also have a CV 15mm f/4.5 and a CV "Classic" 40mm f/1.4. I have used all of my lenses happily on my Ricoh GXR digital (with a native Leica M mount and 12 mp APS-C sensor) and my Leica M4 and M6 film cameras (not so much film any more--it's too limiting compared to digital). I have not seen any reviews of users with the Elmarit 21mm or 28mm non-Asph versions. I have also not seen anyone using the 90mm or 135mm lenses, but I assume they won't be a problem. If someone has seen reviews with these lenses, please let me know where I can find them. The rest of the examples I have seen, with the exception of the CV15mm seem to work 100%.

woof woof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,464
Like?
In reply to KwhyChang, Dec 12, 2013

A7.

Kit lens.

Zuiko 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5.

Rokkor 28mm f2.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f2, 135mm f3.5, Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

I also have a Rokkor 24mm f2.8 but it vignettes too badly to use on the APS-C Nex/MD adapter so I can't use it until my Novoflex adapter arrives.

The first prime I mounted on the camera was the Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and it's my most used so far.

Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?
Mainly Zeiss...

contax zeiss 28/2.8

sony zeiss 35/2.8

contax zeiss 35-70/3.4

contax zeiss 80-200/4

then with metabones iii

canon 17-40 L

canon 70-300 L IS

would love to ditch the 17-40L for the zeiss 21 but cant justify the cost just yet...

Got the kit lens too, but so far havent used it. Its no Zeiss!

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +9 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,171Gear list
Like?

I can start:

A7R:

Nikon 24-70 F2.8 ED.

Nikon 14-24 F2.8ED no good, bad edge smearing - bummer one of my favourite lenses!!

Have you tried the Nikkor 28mm f/1.8g?

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Pentax K-3 Canon EOS 6D Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,519Gear list
Like?

2 new great cameras, 3 new lenses to go with them. Not all lenses work well with these cameras. They are not universal like I thought they were going to be. Bummer. Still they handle many many lenses but this forum could be an invaluable resource for finding out which ones work and which don't.

I can start:

A7R:

Nikon 24-70 F2.8 ED.

Contax g 28mm no good - magenta and side shading. Fotodiox adapter.

Samyang 24 F.1.4 - very good

Greg.

Hi Greg,

still experimenting on the A7, so far on FF lenses:

17mm: MD17 (Takumar I believe) - ok when stopped down, not very flare resistant

21mm: CV21 (Color Skopar) - not very good - magenta cast

24mm: OM24/2.8 - very good, even in corners

28mm: CG28/2.8 - useable, but vignets; MD28 and OM28 have no vignetting but show soft corners

35mm: CG35/2.0 - useable, some vignetting; OM35 very good;

35mm: CV35/1.4 very usable, a bit soft; ZM35/2.0 very usable, some vignetting

45mm: CG45/2.0 - stellar

50mm: OM50/1.4 - soft wide open, very usable; MD50/1.7 - very usable

75mm: CV75/2.5 - very good

90mm: CG90/2.8 - very good

100mm: OM100/2.8 - very good

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
jkspepper
Regular MemberPosts: 434
Like?

I have an a7R and I use:

Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 ZF.2 on Novoflex = Very good!

Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM on Novoflex = Very good!

What I really want is now something in the range of 10-16mm f/4 with awesome sharpness across the frame, small and manual focus.

Dennishh
Contributing MemberPosts: 505Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkspepper, Dec 12, 2013

You said! "Nikon 14-24 F2.8ED no good, bad edge smearing - bummer one of my favourite lenses!!"

I just ran full test of Nikon 14-24 and saw no edge smearing at all with the A7r.  I have read other reports of people with stellar reports.

Dennishh's gear list:Dennishh's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +3 more
Gerald A Naus
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
In reply to sroute, Dec 12, 2013

I have my Nikon and Canon pro-bodies like the D4, but I also like mounting the lenses to the A7r (or the other way around, really)

Nikon 24-70mm 2.8

Nikon 50mm 1.4G (nice size for the A7R)

Canon 85mm 1.2 II L

Canon 200mm 2.0 IS L

Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8

waiting for Zeiss FE 55mm 1.8

Manual focus is such a dream on the A7R. The Canons actually focus - not very fast but still

I'm looking at getting all kinds of vintage manual focus lenses.

Gerald A Naus's gear list:Gerald A Naus's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony Alpha 7R Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D4 Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM +4 more
LAbrewin
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?

I have an A7 and I'm going to be shooting it more starting this week when I get more free time. I'll be using the following:

-Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5

-Zeiss ZM 21mm f/2.8

-Sony Zeiss FE 35 f/2.8 // Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 // Leica 35mm f/2 ASPH (probably selling this one)

-Zeiss ZM 50mm f/2

-Leica APO 90mm f/2

Thus far from a couple quick shots around the house the lenses all look good on the A7, though I can't tell how much magenta shading the Voigtlander 15mm has because it vignettes so much - this is normal on a Leica M and even on film as I understand.  I'll have to look into the RAW files to figure it out.  The Zeiss 21mm looked pretty good from jpeg - no magenta corners, and vignetting wasn't bad.  I am optimistic that the RAWs will show minimal problems =]

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to John A Clark, Dec 12, 2013

You mention the Zeiss 21mm. Is this on an A7r?

Also the Sigma 12-14 is this a full frame lens or a crop lens?

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
Re: Mainly Zeiss...
In reply to Richt2000, Dec 12, 2013

Which Contax Zeiss 28mm ? I have a Contax G 28mm F2.8 and find it has magenta cast and side shading on A7r.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Dec 12, 2013

No I don't have that lens.
I have Samyang 24mm F1.4 and it is good.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Dec 12, 2013

Good post Henry. Very informative.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads