Pano Stitching Software

Started 11 months ago | Questions
Herman Dijkhuis
Contributing MemberPosts: 770
Like?
Pano Stitching Software
11 months ago

Hi everyone,

Which free/open source software you recommend to create 360 degree pano in jpeg format?

Replies and suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Herman
Twitter @hermandijkhuis

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
walking dude
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Re: Pano Stitching Software
In reply to Herman Dijkhuis, 11 months ago

Only Windows XP (SP2 or SP3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7 are supported at this time.

http://photosynth.net/about.aspx

You'll need to download Microsoft ICE [image composite editor] and the Photosynth app. Links are located at bottom of page.

walking dude's gear list:walking dude's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MediaArchivist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Hugin

My hands down favorite is Hugin. There are a lot of options, and it takes some experimenting— but the results are spectacular.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +15 more
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,355Gear list
Like?
One more for (free) Microsoft ICE
In reply to walking dude, 11 months ago

walking dude wrote:

Only Windows XP (SP2 or SP3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7 are supported at this time.

http://photosynth.net/about.aspx

You'll need to download Microsoft ICE [image composite editor] and the Photosynth app. Links are located at bottom of page.

Microsoft ICE makes a very good job. I strongly recommend it.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,327
Like?
Re: Hugin (+1)
In reply to MediaArchivist, 11 months ago

Yes, it is probably the best I've used so far.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .
Now that you've judged the quality of my typing, take a look at my photos. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7267302@N03/

MikeInNJ
Regular MemberPosts: 443Gear list
Like?
Re: One more for (free) Microsoft ICE
In reply to Osvaldo Cristo, 11 months ago

I second Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE)

http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/

MikeInNJ's gear list:MikeInNJ's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX80 Sony SLT-A33 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Lanidrac
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,311
Like?
PhotoVista?

Herman Dijkhuis wrote:

Hi everyone,

Which free/open source software you recommend to create 360 degree pano in jpeg format?

Replies and suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Best regards, Herman
Twitter @hermandijkhuis

The very best pano software was from a company long gone called PhotoVista. It was free software that came with the Agfa 1680. I stitched stuff with it (and made money with it) with many cams right up to my Canon 300D and 350D until it barfed and stopped working with too much data in the photos (it could handle pic only 'so-big'..). Now I use CS6 Photomerge, but only because i have a fast comp now - talk about it being buggy before!... but it works now well.

Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,429Gear list
Like?

I do this sort of stuff professionally. I use PTgui, which is brilliant for that type of work. Typically we capture 35 images per set (5 per shot, 7 series - 6 around and one up). I then use exposure fusion rather than HDR to merge the images.

PTgui gives very solid and accurate results. The panoramas we collect are then mapped to point clouds, and any errors in the pano are really obvious.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,327
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, 11 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

I do this sort of stuff professionally. I use PTgui, which is brilliant for that type of work. Typically we capture 35 images per set (5 per shot, 7 series - 6 around and one up). I then use exposure fusion rather than HDR to merge the images.

PTgui gives very solid and accurate results. The panoramas we collect are then mapped to point clouds, and any errors in the pano are really obvious.

I know I'm asking you to do work that you may not want or have time to do.  But this topic comes up every other month or so. A quick review of the available Pano titles from someone such as yourself would do wonders to help people determine what it is that  makes a good tool for this, and place the various tools in a heirarchy of value.

I suspect many of us use the pano assist features of their cameras, so probably any reasonably competent stitching tool works well for them.  But different titles use different terms.  For instance, Hugin uses the term "points" and allows for a pretty sophisticated manipulation of them, but I don't recall it using the term "point cloud".  An informative overview from someone knowledgeable might bring some order to this area of photography.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

EthanP99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

another vote for PTGUI, I used it this week to do a 54MP stitch of a waterfall. Absolutely seamless shot and great features on the software.

EthanP99's gear list:EthanP99's gear list
Sony RX1R Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,429Gear list
Like?
In reply to Glen Barrington, 11 months ago

Glen Barrington wrote:

Martin.au wrote:

I know I'm asking you to do work that you may not want or have time to do. But this topic comes up every other month or so. A quick review of the available Pano titles from someone such as yourself would do wonders to help people determine what it is that makes a good tool for this, and place the various tools in a heirarchy of value.

I suspect many of us use the pano assist features of their cameras, so probably any reasonably competent stitching tool works well for them. But different titles use different terms. For instance, Hugin uses the term "points" and allows for a pretty sophisticated manipulation of them, but I don't recall it using the term "point cloud". An informative overview from someone knowledgeable might bring some order to this area of photography.

-- hide signature --

I still like soup. . .

Hehe, sorry. Point clouds is a term referring to the data collected by a laser scanner. It's not actually related to the panoramic imagery. The point clouds are then colored using the panoramic imagery.

Here's an example, colored with the scanners built in camera. Our newer stuff, coloured using our pano kit looks much nicer.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QVabrXWAVbQ

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
frank-in-toronto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005
Like?

i've been using autostitch for years.  works almost all the time. multi-row also. free of course.  i tried hugin but found it way to complex. and it didn't stitch the stuff i do any better.

DutchMM
Contributing MemberPosts: 772Gear list
Like?
Re: PhotoVista?
In reply to Lanidrac, 11 months ago

I remember it fondly.  It does work IIRC under wine on linux, too.  But hugin is hugely more powerful.

-- hide signature --

Paypal? Just say "No!"

DutchMM's gear list:DutchMM's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +6 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,340
Like?
In reply to EthanP99, 11 months ago

EthanP99 wrote:

another vote for PTGUI, I used it this week to do a 54MP stitch of a waterfall. Absolutely seamless shot and great features on the software.

+1 for PTGUI

However, for a free program, Microsoft's ICE does a good job.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads