What don’t you like about your otherwise lovely m4/3s camera(s)

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,732
Like?
What don’t you like about your otherwise lovely m4/3s camera(s)
Dec 11, 2013

I'm interested to see if there are common moans about each camera model but also across models

Three things only please

Panasonic G6

1. Too easy to switch on functions that you don’t want by pressing buttons that you don’t mean to.
  2. Very slow start up from sleep, I’ve missed a lot of shots from that
  3. The excellent focusing ability drops off very quickly in diminishing light, I’m talking outdoors. Might be a lens issue but I thing the camera is responsible as well.
-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,307Gear list
Like?
Re: I have nothing to moan
In reply to Trevor Carpenter, Dec 11, 2013

Stupid thread anyway. For me m4/3 is the perfect system. No real complaints.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +26 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BigB
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
Re: What don’t you like about your otherwise lovely m4/3s camera(s)

E-M5

1. Mushy tactile feel of some buttons on the back (mainly the directional navigation buttons).

2. EVF feels like it's lacking clarity.

3. Battery life could be better.

Color and clarity results from 12-50mm aren't bad, but somehow the 40-150mm lens gives me more pleasing results.  But that's lens, not camera, though they all came in the same package.

ernstbk
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I'm interested to see if there are common moans about each camera model but also across models

Three things only please

Panasonic G6

1. Too easy to switch on functions that you don’t want by pressing buttons that you don’t mean to.
  3. The excellent focusing ability drops off very quickly in diminishing light, I’m talking outdoors. Might be a lens issue but I thing the camera is responsible as well.
-- hide signature --

1.) study pressing buttons in the dark, will help you press the right buttons, alternatively get a bigger camera with more space around the buttons.

2) Switch off sleep mode if it bothers you.

3) Carry a flashlight. Funny but cameras do have problems if there is insufficient light because low contrast is not very helpful with CDAF. Sometimes the AF light works if the subject is near, otherwise use MF.

ernstbk's gear list:ernstbk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +22 more
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386Gear list
Like?
I wouldn't mind seeing IR or wireless firing of flashes integrated.

Now I use triggers or clip on and line of sight, not really a shortcoming as much as a non feature.

seems like with each generation of cameras though the list gets shorter, ie faster shutter lower and higher ISO capabilities, and flash sync speeds.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,494Gear list
Like?

Way back I had a thread named "8 things I don't like about my E-PL5" and I think it expanded to 10 things, lost in mists of time now so no matter....

But now I just Lurve it, buying a second E-PL5 body soon, maybe in post Christmas sales nonsense period if the prices are low enough.

So had to think really hard, (painful for me this early in the morning). Three items only, eh?

E-PL5

1. Mode dial too easy to bump, make it as stiff as the excellent E-PL1 Mode dial and I would be a happy bunny.

2. Need more MySets, 4 is way too few, need enough to fill the whole Mode dial, need a way to name them and save and restore them from card. Make that one glorious item.

3. Make a bright yellow body so I really look like a dumb tourist. Silver is too bland.

Really had to think hard for a third item to list.

General M4/3 wish list (while I'm here).

1. Global shutter.

2. LCD that can be easily seen under all lighting conditions.

3. See Item 2. in E-PL5 complaint list.

That's all folks !

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,703Gear list
Like?
nt)E-M1 Grip design, OM-D in general no articulating screen.

nt=No Text

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,986Gear list
Like?

The fact that Olympus Australia seem incapable of actually supplying cameras to NZ whilst in other countries people are walking in and buying them from stock!

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Three things only please

Panasonic G6

-- hide signature --

On my GX1, too easy to switch the ISO...I think my thumb hits the ISO button, and somehow the touchscreen activates 10000 ISO.  Had that happen more than once.

Have a similar problem with my GH1 where AWB gets sets to something other than AWB without my apparent knowledge.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,613Gear list
Like?
Panasonic GH3

Okay, you did ask, so the following may contain negative points...

(1) Big delays reviewing or scrolling through images when fully zoomed-in if any of them are taken on portrait mode - complete amateur hour stuff. Panasonic really don't seem to care. (I'm guessing the hardware works in landscape mode and they have to bodge it for portrait mode.)

(2) Noise reduction artifacts visible at Base ISO.

(3) Way way too much moire on video, however flat you go (although the only non-video specific cameras that don't have this problem are the 5DmkIII and the Sony RX range, so not atypical).

(4) Too many annoying gaps in the lens range (okay, so an m43 issue not GH3, and almost a given for any new system, but still an annoying issue).

(5) Iffy EVF optics.

(6) No ETC in 50p/60p video modes (so lame).

(7) No focus peaking.

(8) Electronic shutter too slow (1/10 sec) to cope with much subject movement.

(9) iOS App is a right royal pain to use. With tiny picture icons too. (Okay, again more a Panasonic issue than a GH3 one, but affects GH3 owners, like the lens one).

I would add that if you don't disable touch screen focus point movement it is way too easy to find it stuck in a corner when you need to urgently take a photo. But maybe that's just me. (It's disabled now, hence no number in front of this para.)

I can live with or work around the issues, other than the video moire performance, which bites me too often, although also important to wait 3 secs when checking the sharpness of an image you've taken in portrait mode, as won't see the real image until then, but overall it's a good piece of kit and I'm happy to own one.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +25 more
Dr Hal
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chas2, Dec 11, 2013

EM 5.  Love the camera but I hate hate hate the menu system.  I am able to use it but it is just soooo complex and layered.  Too bad Oly can design a great camera and cannot design an acceptable menu system.  Because of this, I am never totally comfortable with this camera.  When my wife is not looking, I will sell it and either get the GX 7 or Fufifilm E-X2.

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +8 more
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,863Gear list
Like?
Sensors - Grips

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

Three things only please

Panasonic G6

-- hide signature --

What I don't like can be seen from my wishes.

1. Sensors with less noise at ISO 100 - 1600

2. SENSORS WITH LESS NOISE AT ISO 100 - 1600

3. G2/G6 like grips

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
petersolymosi
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?

Olympus E-PL5

1. Control dial is much too sensitive (even after firmware update)

2. Articulating LCD hinges seem a bit loose - not sure about longevity

3. Movie record button is easy to accidentally press

I have lots of great things to say about the little E-PL5 and had to think a while to come up with a 3rd gripe.

petersolymosi's gear list:petersolymosi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Bill Wallace
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,286Gear list
Like?
EM 5...

Buttons to small, to easy to switch something, no articulating screen.

-- hide signature --

Bill Wallace
http://bwallace.zenfolio.com/
"Mister I ain't a boy no I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land"....

Bill Wallace's gear list:Bill Wallace's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
kitsap2
Contributing MemberPosts: 962Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL5
In reply to Bill Wallace, Dec 11, 2013

Major gripe with E-PL5:

1.  No wine cork screw

kitsap2's gear list:kitsap2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
markymark101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,031Gear list
Like?

I've got too many danged lenses, but I like them all, and can't bring myself to sell any!

And they keep making new lenses that I want to buy.

Please, stop the insanity.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Guy Parsons
Like?
Re: E-PL5 .... more wining.
In reply to kitsap2, Dec 11, 2013

kitsap2 wrote:

Major gripe with E-PL5:

1. No wine cork screw

Hey, in Oz that is solved now, all the wine has screw caps, and is way more reliable than corks, plus way easier to open. And also easier to close, but that never happens. Glug, glug.

Regards.... Guy

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Guy Parsons
Like?
NZ problems...
In reply to MPA1, Dec 11, 2013

MPA1 wrote:

The fact that Olympus Australia seem incapable of actually supplying cameras to NZ whilst in other countries people are walking in and buying them from stock!

Oh, is somebody still there? I thought that you had all moved to Australia.

Regards... Guy

Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,117Gear list
Like?

It's not here yet. Waiting on the mailman.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,499Gear list
Like?

The rubber eye cup of my G1 is a bit loose on one side.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads