So just how destructive is High ISO Noise Reduction?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,424Gear list
Like?
So just how destructive is High ISO Noise Reduction?
7 months ago

This is at ISO 200. The top image is High ISO Noise Reduction set to High, the second image is High ISO Noise Reduction set to OFF, and the third image the whole scene.

Took 30 seconds to demonstrate the problem.

And I also realized I need to test my 17-50 vs. my 16-50 for purple fringing issues. The 16-50 is not looking that good here.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.youtube.com/photouniverse
www.edwardthomasart.com
www.pbase.com/edwardthomas

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
Qwntm
Like?
And here's the logic behind it.
In reply to Qwntm, 7 months ago

It's easy to test and I just did so in less than 30 seconds.

Shoot something with high iso noise reduction set to HIGH, then shoot it again with High iso noise reduction set to OFF. View at 100% and the detail on the high shot will be obliterated.

THUS, logically we can conclude that if HIGH is a possibility for the AUTO mode to choose, and we have our camera set to AUTO, then some of our shots could experience random obliteration of the detail.

It's not a "flaw" in the camera, it's the way it was designed to function. And it's just something users need to be aware of.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,049Gear list
Like?
Re: So just how destructive is High ISO Noise Reduction?

Ugly, but I doubt that Auto NR would choose NR High at ISO 200. Surely some thought has gone into the Auto algorithm.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 20,402Gear list
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 7 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

Ugly, but I doubt that Auto NR would choose NR High at ISO 200. Surely some thought has gone into the Auto algorithm.

I have asked it elsewhere, but I can ask it again. Any ideas what the thoughtful Pentax designers have used for kind of algorithm for doing the choice?

Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,232Gear list
Like?

Never thought it would be that bad at iso 200 Ed imagine what it is doing at 1600!

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
waynes
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 7 months ago

If it is true, the problem is soft, not hard, and should be easily fixable by firmware.

Voikkari
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?
Re: And here's the logic behind it.

And we all wait for the next firmware release.

I agree, this is a problem, but it can be fixed.

-- hide signature --

K5 / K20 / K10D/*IstD
MZ5n/Z70/SF7/MESuper/MX/Spotmatic F
Pentax since Spotmatic F

Voikkari's gear list:Voikkari's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +5 more
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,237
Like?

Thanks for the additional demo.

Joe

Joseph Tainter
Like?
In reply to Roland Karlsson, 7 months ago

Roland Karlsson wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

I have asked it elsewhere, but I can ask it again. Any ideas what the thoughtful Pentax designers have used for kind of algorithm for doing the choice?

I don't know about algorithms, but never underestimate Pentax's ability to shoot themselves in the foot.

We saw K-3 images taken a day or two ago at ISO 200. The noise was very bad. This sensor is a problem.

Joe

Joseph Tainter
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 7 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

We saw K-3 images taken a day or two ago at ISO 200. The noise was very bad. This sensor is a problem.

Joe

Expand these images to 100% and see how noisy the sensor is at ISO 200. I would guess that this is why Pentax applies such heavy noise reduction.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52672441

And note the moire in the second image.

Joe

Holger Bargen
Contributing MemberPosts: 700Gear list
Like?
In reply to Voikkari, 7 months ago

I think that the setting of the strength of noise correction (noise is the main problem of high ISO) is some kind of philosophy.

I remember back a couple of years: The Panasonic FZ30 was a great camera everybody liked a lot (also at dpreview). The expectations for the follow up model wer high. The FZ50 was designed - more MP - and due to the advertisments: a big step forward with respect to noise (they showed some graphs with measured values that were impressive). But next we all here at dpreview were pixel-peeping - and we were disappointed: They simply solved the problem of higher noise by smearing the pixels to a soup that looked more like a water color painting than like a photograph! 100% crops were horrible - but pictures that were printed at standard formats the customers usually would select looked great.

It seems to be the way of Pentax now: They were not able to fix the problem of noise at high ISO - thus, they tried to hide it.

I do not like this way of solving the problem. For most users of the K3 it would be better to keep as muc information in the JPG file so the user has all opportunities for post-processing.

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +2 more
Qwntm
Like?
In reply to Voikkari, 7 months ago

Voikkari wrote:

And we all wait for the next firmware release.

I agree, this is a problem, but it can be fixed.

I don't think it's a "problem" I think it's a "feature."

I think the camera is working perfectly to design specifications, I just think a lot of people don't like the design of this small feature. Nobody would really know it existed if the "AUTO" setting didn't go there sometimes.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

Qwntm
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, 7 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

-- hide signature --

Dan

I have had "AUTO" obliterate detail at ISO 400, so best to just set a custom ISO NR or turn it off and deal with it in post or shoot RAW.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

Col K10d
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,199Gear list
Like?

I was interested to see when selecting custom nr it showed nr being applied down to iso100 do you think this matches the auto settings?

-- hide signature --

Colin
If a picture's worth a 1000 words, why have I run out of shelves?

Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,097Gear list
Like?
In reply to Holger Bargen, 7 months ago

Holger Bargen wrote:

I think that the setting of the strength of noise correction (noise is the main problem of high ISO) is some kind of philosophy.

I remember back a couple of years: The Panasonic FZ30 was a great camera everybody liked a lot (also at dpreview). The expectations for the follow up model wer high. The FZ50 was designed - more MP - and due to the advertisments: a big step forward with respect to noise (they showed some graphs with measured values that were impressive). But next we all here at dpreview were pixel-peeping - and we were disappointed: They simply solved the problem of higher noise by smearing the pixels to a soup that looked more like a water color painting than like a photograph! 100% crops were horrible - but pictures that were printed at standard formats the customers usually would select looked great.

It seems to be the way of Pentax now: They were not able to fix the problem of noise at high ISO - thus, they tried to hide it.

I do not like this way of solving the problem. For most users of the K3 it would be better to keep as muc information in the JPG file so the user has all opportunities for post-processing.

Best regards

Holger

I guess I don't understand.  Isn't the whole point of using OOC JPEGs is to not do any post processing?  Otherwise, why not do the PP on the RAW files instead?

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-30 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
James O'Neill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,927
Like?

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joe

Expand these images to 100% and see how noisy the sensor is at ISO 200. I would guess that this is why Pentax applies such heavy noise reduction.

Joe

I notice that the image I downloaded seems to have been re-written by DPR (poster ID is written to the IPTC data, maker notes are stripped. etc). I'd like to see the out-of-camera shots before concluding too much

Qwntm
Like?
In reply to Col K10d, 7 months ago

Col K10d wrote:

I was interested to see when selecting custom nr it showed nr being applied down to iso100 do you think this matches the auto settings?

-- hide signature --

Colin
If a picture's worth a 1000 words, why have I run out of shelves?

I think only the designers know what AUTO is set to do, so best leave it OFF and set a custom setting. I like the idea of 100-1600 OFF and 3200 LOW etc.

Easily solved if your worried about detail at 100% in your images.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

Qwntm
Like?
"Problem Sensor?"

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joe

Joe

I don't think a "Problem Sensor" can be declared or identified by 2 web images...

Unless I AM SPECIFICALLY TRYING to make a BAD IMAGE, my K-3 and it's sensor is the BEST DSLR I'VE USED SO FAR. (Up against Canon 5DM3 and others. And of course my opinion.)

I shoot mostly landscapes at ISO 100 in RAW on a tripod and the occasional wedding, sporting event and portrait.

-- hide signature --

Edward
www.edwardthomasart.com

Joseph Tainter
Like?
Re: "Problem Sensor?"

Qwntm wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joe

Joe

I don't think a "Problem Sensor" can be declared or identified by 2 web images...

Unless I AM SPECIFICALLY TRYING to make a BAD IMAGE, my K-3 and it's sensor is the BEST DSLR I'VE USED SO FAR. (Up against Canon 5DM3 and others. And of course my opinion.)

I shoot mostly landscapes at ISO 100 in RAW on a tripod and the occasional wedding, sporting event and portrait.

That's fine. I shoot landscapes too. But I shoot a lot handheld indoors at high ISO settings, and just love the clean images I get from the K-5 series sensor.

For the images that I post the link to, this much noise at ISO 1600 would be okay. For ISO 200, I was quite surprised at the noise when I enlarged the images.

Joe

sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
Re: "Problem Sensor?"

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Qwntm wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Joe

Joe

That's fine. I shoot landscapes too. But I shoot a lot handheld indoors at high ISO settings, and just love the clean images I get from the K-5 series sensor.

For the images that I post the link to, this much noise at ISO 1600 would be okay. For ISO 200, I was quite surprised at the noise when I enlarged the images.

Joe

Full disclosure: I did push the shadows a couple of stops on the first of those images. The only point of posting them was to show that my DA*16-50 was not de-centred (because in some of my blurred shots that I'd shown earlier, the left side of my images looks appreciably worse than the centre).

However, on the other hand, I have noticed noise at 100% even in ISO100 shots taken in very good light. It's definitely not as 'clean' to work with as the K-5 sensor.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads