Nikon P7800 and reasonable bokeh........?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
gtblackwell
Contributing MemberPosts: 570
Like?
Nikon P7800 and reasonable bokeh........?
9 months ago

I am considering a compact camera for times that lugging my D300 and lenses around is just too much. Something to gab and go.

I like what I see about the P7800, looking at it and a G16, but was curious  can I get a reasonably blurred back ground with the 7800 if I focus on a critter, human or otherwise.  I am not expecting a 85mm 1.4 performance, just something reasonably  good for casual shooting..

I am not brand oriented but leaning toward the Nikon.

-- hide signature --

NA

Canon PowerShot G16 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,173Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon P7800 and reasonable bokeh........?
In reply to gtblackwell, 9 months ago

Yes, it is reasonable but not optimum, as expected.

The general OOF looks good for me...

Even when you have a light source the OOF region is reasonable

The OOF rendering for punctual light is not great but it is better than some cheap DSLR zoom lenses

All pictures made indoors at night in our living room to illustrate this post. Handheld despite the slow shutter speed and with high ISO. Not an art masterpiece but I think it is good enough to show the OOF rendering from Nikon P7100.

All the best,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gtblackwell
Like?
In reply to Osvaldo Cristo, 9 months ago

Muchas gracias, Señor Cristo, especially for shooting specific shots, very kind of you and exactly what I needed to know. Reasonable is just fine here. If crucial I have the 85mm. But the 7800 will do just fine for my needs.

Under this thread below I found another example after I posted.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52457558

Kindly,

Gaines

-- hide signature --

NA

DonaldLim
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?

How about this one?

DonaldLim's gear list:DonaldLim's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus Stylus SP-100 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
WD60
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?

I'm surprised at how good the bokeh results I am getting with my new 7800. Much better than my previous 7000.

WD60's gear list:WD60's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Samsung Galaxy S II
gtblackwell
Like?
In reply to WD60, 9 months ago

Thanks to all of you. I expected that an F 2-44 would do pretty but I ham not familiar with Compact cameras at all, having come from film SLR's to DSLR's . But I have become most interested in a relative high performance compacts. At 74, with arthritis,  I love my DSLR but not carrying it around.  The idea of a compact ready at hand  is very appealing and I have seen here what they are capable of producing.

Gaines

-- hide signature --

NA

chary zp
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?
P7800 lense equivalent in DX numbers

gtblackwell wrote:

I am considering a compact camera for times that lugging my D300 and lenses around is just too much. Something to gab and go.

I like what I see about the P7800, looking at it and a G16, but was curious can I get a reasonably blurred back ground with the 7800 if I focus on a critter, human or otherwise. I am not expecting a 85mm 1.4 performance, just something reasonably good for casual shooting..

-- hide signature --

NA

Compacts are good at having everything sharp, because with small chip sizes they have great depth of field at comparable exposure F-numbers. At the widest 28mm F2,0 it actually has the same DOF as DX camera set to 19mm F6,3. Even a kit lens starting at F3,5 will get you better bokeh on DX camera than you get on a compact like P7800. Of course I am speaking about how much blurry (= not sharp) it will be, not how creamy/grainy it will be.

Well, in terms of bokeh as how unsharp it gets, getting 85/1,4 FX bokeh from a compact is nonsense, 85/1,4 DX (=128/2,1 FX) is still rather difficult. I do not have P7800, but I have P7700, which has basically the same chip and lens. Now, the numbers. Imagine that on your D300 (DX) you mount these lenses and try to shoot bokeh-style.

The camera can go from 28 F2,0 to 200mm F4,0, which equals to a lens of 19-133/6,2-12,5 on a DX camera.

compact = DX (D300)

28 2,0 = 19 6,2
33 2,0 = 22 6,2
35 2,2 = 23 6,8
38 2,2 = 25 6,8
42 2,5 = 28 7,8
46 2,5 = 31 7,8
50 2,8 = 33 8,7
58 2,8 = 39 8,7
66 3,2 = 44 10
74 3,2 = 49 10
85 3,2 = 57 10
92 3,2 = 61 10
105 3,5 = 70 11
117 3,5 = 78 11
135 3,5 = 90 11
152 3,5 = 101 11
175 4,0 = 117 12,5
200 4,0 = 133 12,5

Those mm's are manufacturer zoom presets, you cannot get literally any mm on the 28-200 scale.

Therefore, if you want the same field of view as 85 on your D300, you need to go to 135 on P7700 (P7800) and you will get the same depth of field (blurryness of the background) as you get with a lens of 90mm set to F11 on your D300.

In the same manner, imagine you have a 50/1,8 lens on your D300. Now, you set P7x00 to 74mm equivalent with widest aperture of 3,2, which will be equivalent to F10 on your 50mm on a D300.

I have come to this calculation by doing simple maths. The compact's "200mm FX 35mmFilm equivalent" is in fact 42,8mm on the compact lens. The rest is rule of three.

Of course it is not scientifically super-precise, but you can get the rough picture.

In this way, to get the same blurryness of 85/1,4 mounted on a DX camera, the compact would have to go down to F0,67 on its 135mm mark (in fact 29mm physical on the compact camera lens), which is insane.

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
gtblackwell
Like?
Re: P7800 lense equivalent in DX numbers
In reply to chary zp, 9 months ago

I greatly appreciate the comparison chart and explicit explanattion. Thank you kindly.

I reread my initial post " I am not expecting a 85mm 1.4 performance, just something reasonably good for casual shooting.." so I do not qualify for being insane !!(:  The examples people posted showed  me a level of background  blur which was fine for my needs . I use photography in my work but never call myself a photographer. and I will keep my 300 so in need I can haul it out.

To every one, greatly appreciate all the assistance. I grew up in rural Alabama  with a generator crank telephone  and a 4 party line !!! The internet is all the more amazing from that starting point.

Gaines

-- hide signature --

NA

chary zp
Regular MemberPosts: 432Gear list
Like?

gtblackwell wrote:

I greatly appreciate the comparison chart and explicit explanattion. Thank you kindly.

I reread my initial post " I am not expecting a 85mm 1.4 performance, just something reasonably good for casual shooting.." so I do not qualify for being insane !!(: The examples people posted showed me a level of background blur which was fine for my needs . I use photography in my work but never call myself a photographer. and I will keep my 300 so in need I can haul it out.

To every one, greatly appreciate all the assistance. I grew up in rural Alabama with a generator crank telephone and a 4 party line !!! The internet is all the more amazing from that starting point.

Gaines

-- hide signature --

NA

I didn't mean to offend you

The blur you can see in the posted photos can be tempting, but you have to realise that those are probably relatively small objects shot at large focal lengths at close shooting distances. A portrait style blur for portrait style shots at portrait style distances is much harder to get, but I am sure you are aware of that.

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
gtblackwell
Like?
In reply to chary zp, 9 months ago

I was not the least bit offended, rather thought it funny (:. Sometimes I think I might be insane !! LOL

More importantly you have given me the technical-optical basis for how it works. I spent most of my life in schools and architecture and the practice of design so your explanation interest me. I was curious this .

So most gave me the photographic information I sought, you gave me the basis for it.

Thanks to all of you. Looking for a camera is great fun. the 7800 seems to have the best set of things important to me.

-- hide signature --

NA

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,746Gear list
Like?

gtblackwell wrote:

I like what I see about the P7800, looking at it and a G16, but was curious can I get a reasonably blurred back ground with the 7800 if I focus on a critter, human or otherwise. I am not expecting a 85mm 1.4 performance, just something reasonably good for casual shooting..

I just got the P7800 a few days ago, to use as a carry-everywhere camera.  It has impressed me.  I sold my P7100 which gave me outstanding results in spite of sensor size.  The new model has improved on that.

The main selling point for me was the EVF, and I find I use it exclusively (for shooting.)  I'm very happy with it.  Be aware that the EVF image has a color cast, not the true colors shown on the LCD.  It has no bearing on the image captured.  Nikon colors are consistent and very pleasing to me, so I just ignore the colors seen in the EVF.

I researched a lot - I'm not a brand loyalist either - and the P7800 came out on top.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads