Please help me with the EF-X20

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
Please help me with the EF-X20
8 months ago

Hi,

I just got the EF-X20 and I don't get it to give me reliable exposure on my Fuji X-Pro1. It overexposes most of the time.

best results so far I got with -1 stop flash compensation, Auto-ISO3200, f2.8 and 1/125s plus turned on built in diffusor to further weaken the flash. It is far from being fool proof like the built in flash in my X100.

Any ideas how to improve things? Thank you!

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +16 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Please help me with the EF-X20
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, 8 months ago

Take it off auto ISO. Try shooting it at ISO 400 and see how it performs.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PortraitShooter
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?

Make sure it really has connection to the camera. I had the same problems but then noticed that the flash was no recognized by the camera, i.e., didn't show up as icon on the info screen.

I think startup works most reliable by switching off camera and flash, then turn On the flash and only then the camera. Once it shows up on the info screen, exposure is very good. Nevertheless I often dial it down by -2/3 EV.

BTW, you website is excellent. Astonished how you can maintain it in parallel to your busy professional life.

PortraitShooter's gear list:PortraitShooter's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,397Gear list
Like?

ISO 400 or 800 instead of AutoISO.

Turn flash on before camera.  This is more difficult than it seems because turning the camera off turns the flash off, but then turning the camera back on doesn't turn the flash back on, so it's easy to respond to this situation by turning the flash back on after the camera is already on.  The flash must be on first for the camera to recognize it and do appropriate TTL exposure.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 8 months ago

Chris G Hughes wrote:

Take it off auto ISO. Try shooting it at ISO 400 and see how it performs.

Thank you. I tried but with higher ISOs because I want to have some balance in-between subject and background. I suspect the the flash might be too powerful compared to the X100 flash which his a guide number of 4,5.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +16 more
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to PortraitShooter, 8 months ago

PortraitShooter wrote:

Make sure it really has connection to the camera. I had the same problems but then noticed that the flash was no recognized by the camera, i.e., didn't show up as icon on the info screen.

I think startup works most reliable by switching off camera and flash, then turn On the flash and only then the camera. Once it shows up on the info screen, exposure is very good. Nevertheless I often dial it down by -2/3 EV.

Thank you. That's a strange behavior. Now I know the reason the flash disappeared from the menu sometimes.

BTW, you website is excellent. Astonished how you can maintain it in parallel to your busy professional life.

Thank you. It's not always easy but we all need to work to be able to afford our gadgets.

-- hide signature --
AB8ND
Regular MemberPosts: 102Gear list
Like?

How far are you from your subject, f/2.8 might be too much for the ISO that the camera is setting when on Auto ISO. I would set the ISO manually to give you the ambient and flash balance for f/2.8 and 1/125 if that is what you want to use. Auto ISO was it's place, but IMHO not when using flash or when shooting manual with or without flash.

AB8ND's gear list:AB8ND's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 30D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
bowportes
Like?

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Hi,

I just got the EF-X20 and I don't get it to give me reliable exposure on my Fuji X-Pro1. It overexposes most of the time.

best results so far I got with -1 stop flash compensation, Auto-ISO3200, f2.8 and 1/125s plus turned on built in diffusor to further weaken the flash. It is far from being fool proof like the built in flash in my X100.

-- hide signature --

I've explored this a bit with my X-E2.

My conclusion is that your problems are completely a result of either: 1) the flash was not powered up before the camera (in which case all of your exposures will be off, or  2) you are shooting something very close to the camera in a fairly dark room, which causes the camera to select ISO 3200 requiring a flash (at f2.8) that is less than the minimum your X20 can generate.

Auto ISO is not a problem in and of itself.  I can set my X-E2 to AISO3200, F to 2.8, and SS to 1/125 and shoot a variety of shots of subjects varying distance from the camera.  The exposure is always spot on.  If I leave Auto ISO the same, and change the camera to F4.0 and 1/180s and shoot the same variety of shots, I get the same results.  It is only when the flash is turned on after the camera or when I shoot something very close to the camera at ISO 3200 in a fairly dark setting that the flash cannot give the correct exposure.

I hope this is helpful.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?

Does a manual come with the flash? I'm ordering one.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
bowportes
Like?
In reply to MrChristopher, 8 months ago

MrChristopher wrote:

Does a manual come with the flash? I'm ordering one.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

Yes, but it's primitive. Not much info.

Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

bowportes wrote:

ISO 400 or 800 instead of AutoISO.

Turn flash on before camera. This is more difficult than it seems because turning the camera off turns the flash off, but then turning the camera back on doesn't turn the flash back on, so it's easy to respond to this situation by turning the flash back on after the camera is already on. The flash must be on first for the camera to recognize it and do appropriate TTL exposure.

Thank you. That was it. Much more reliable now. It is still not perfect but it is good. I shoot with ISO set at 800 and 1/125@f2.0. Works very well as long as the subject isn't too close.

-- hide signature --
Joachim Gerstl
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 8 months ago

bowportes wrote:

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Hi,

-- hide signature --

I've explored this a bit with my X-E2.

My conclusion is that your problems are completely a result of either: 1) the flash was not powered up before the camera (in which case all of your exposures will be off, or 2) you are shooting something very close to the camera in a fairly dark room, which causes the camera to select ISO 3200 requiring a flash (at f2.8) that is less than the minimum your X20 can generate.

Thank you it clearly was the flash on first thing. It's a little annoying that the camera turn off the flash and that I have to remember to turn the flash on again before I turn on camera but I think I can manage it.

Again> Thank you. Problem solved. Where can I mark SOLVED to your thread?

Auto ISO is not a problem in and of itself. I can set my X-E2 to AISO3200, F to 2.8, and SS to 1/125 and shoot a variety of shots of subjects varying distance from the camera. The exposure is always spot on. If I leave Auto ISO the same, and change the camera to F4.0 and 1/180s and shoot the same variety of shots, I get the same results. It is only when the flash is turned on after the camera or when I shoot something very close to the camera at ISO 3200 in a fairly dark setting that the flash cannot give the correct exposure.

I hope this is helpful.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads