Fuji XE 2 Video

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Brian Nathan
Junior MemberPosts: 32Gear list
Like?
Fuji XE 2 Video
Dec 11, 2013

Have been waiting for the full DPR review of the XE 2 but looks now as though it may be next year.  I know video is not the main purpose of these cameras (XE1 and XE2) and I am very happy with the stills but can anyone, who has the XE 2, please advise if the video is better than XE 1 and now of an acceptable standard?

Brian Nathan's gear list:Brian Nathan's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,296Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji XE 2 Video
In reply to Brian Nathan, Dec 11, 2013

Brian Nathan wrote:

Have been waiting for the full DPR review of the XE 2 but looks now as though it may be next year. I know video is not the main purpose of these cameras (XE1 and XE2) and I am very happy with the stills but can anyone, who has the XE 2, please advise if the video is better than XE 1 and now of an acceptable standard?

It is not a matter what is better it is the way it is done. The issue is the same for any interchangeable lens camera which is you really need manual control in video mode. The ability to control shutter speed based on the frames per second is important to eliminated that flicker effect as exposure changes. I shot the Panasonic GH-3 and you have manual control, the Canon 5D iii you have manual control. You also have a selection of frame rates etc. If Fuji can do what Panasonic did with the GH-3 that would be a winner!

One thing that just slips me now is using a p&s like a Canon "G" you don't have this issue. I don't recall why at this moment.

So, it will be very obvious looking at video specification and more so at the owners manual what you can control.

To talk about as you say "acceptable standard" Yes it is acceptable no matter the camera if the user is ok with what you get. I will also say the XE-1 does video well with static camera shots and not zooming. So set the camera up on a tripod or you stand still with no panning or zooming. This is not really the way most use video, they need to move the camera and zoom etc..

It is great you can use an external microphone, that really is an important feature and nicety to have, but that needs to be taken to the next level IMO.

So, if you have an existing camera that is ok you can buy a dedicated video camera that will be better for $500 easy and it small like the XE-2 body, half the cost of the XE-2 and about the same cost as the XE-1 now.

You can also consider getting the Canon G16, I have the G12 and it does fine for video. In addition for a dedicated video camera I prefer Canon.

I also have a Canon Pro-Sumer dedicated video camera for important needs and that could be as simple as family birthday party.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Corwin Lee
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian Nathan, Dec 12, 2013

Video should be one of the main improvement for XE 2 over XE 1.

I didn't use video that much but when ever I'm trying to do it with XE 1, it always fed me up because run out of focus at middle of the video.

But for XE 2, I have take quite a few of videos when I'm on the boat, and taking videos for my running kid, so far my subject is in focus all the way

So for me, XE 2 is acceptable (It is better videography tool than my phone) compare to XE 1 (which I have decided to forget about it's video function)

Corwin Lee's gear list:Corwin Lee's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
J720
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
In reply to Corwin Lee, Dec 12, 2013

are you able to set shutter and aperture manually during video on XE2? 60fps at 1080 is a good addition. slowing that down to 50% gives a dramatic look. my canon t3i can only do 720p on 60fps.

Corwin Lee wrote:

Video should be one of the main improvement for XE 2 over XE 1.

I didn't use video that much but when ever I'm trying to do it with XE 1, it always fed me up because run out of focus at middle of the video.

But for XE 2, I have take quite a few of videos when I'm on the boat, and taking videos for my running kid, so far my subject is in focus all the way

So for me, XE 2 is acceptable (It is better videography tool than my phone) compare to XE 1 (which I have decided to forget about it's video function)

J720's gear list:J720's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Fujifilm X-M1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +12 more
hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198
Like?
In reply to Brian Nathan, Dec 12, 2013

Apart from the better AF, video hasn't changed. If you want good video, go with the pixel binning, better codec, manual setting Panasonic GH3.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Dec 12, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

Apart from the better AF, video hasn't changed. If you want good video, go with the pixel binning, better codec, manual setting Panasonic GH3.

Or buy a used Panny GH2.  Great video, little expense.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads