How good/bad is Auto ISO on canon?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,778Gear list
Like?
How good/bad is Auto ISO on canon?
8 months ago

Hello!

I read a comment that Canon's auto ISO is not very good. How does it behave, specifically on the 6D? I have always owned nikon and never had a canon. What difference will i see?

Thanks!

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
panoviews
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Re: How good/bad is Auto ISO on canon?
In reply to mistermejia, 8 months ago
 panoviews's gear list:panoviews's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Samyang Reflex 300mm f/6.3 UMC CS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RS_RS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Hello!

I read a comment that Canon's auto ISO is not very good. How does it behave, specifically on the 6D? I have always owned nikon and never had a canon. What difference will i see?

Thanks!

Works fine for me on my 5DIII, and I know of no reason to think the 6D would be any different.

24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Hello!

Thanks!

Perhaps I'm missing something since you don't cite a source, but it's not that Auto ISO worked poorly on older Canon DSLR's - it's just that it was quite limited in features/implementation compared for instance to Nikon. (In other words, it did what it was intended to do; the problem is, it wasn't intended by Canon to do as much as it could.)

But.... Canon has upped the functionality of AUTO ISO on it's newer cameras and it works fine. I think there are still a few limitations compared to Nikon (for instance, no EC when using Auto ISO in M mode), but it is no longer a bummer to use Auto ISO on new Canon DSLR's. For instance, Auto ISO is quite useful on my 60D - but no so much on my 5DII since I would really like to use it in M mode when taking stills. (They did add this function to video shooting by a firmware update but inexplicably left it off still photo mode.)

mistermejia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,778Gear list
Like?
In reply to 24Peter, 8 months ago

24Peter wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Hello!

Thanks!

Perhaps I'm missing something since you don't cite a source, but it's not that Auto ISO worked poorly on older Canon DSLR's - it's just that it was quite limited in features/implementation compared for instance to Nikon. (In other words, it did what it was intended to do; the problem is, it wasn't intended by Canon to do as much as it could.)

But.... Canon has upped the functionality of AUTO ISO on it's newer cameras and it works fine. I think there are still a few limitations compared to Nikon (for instance, no EC when using Auto ISO in M mode), but it is no longer a bummer to use Auto ISO on new Canon DSLR's. For instance, Auto ISO is quite useful on my 60D - but no so much on my 5DII since I would really like to use it in M mode when taking stills. (They did add this function to video shooting by a firmware update but inexplicably left it off still photo mode.)

Thanks good information.  I understand what you are saying.  My S5 pro behaves the same.  I can't change EC when i am in M  

I will double check this with the 6D next time i am at store.

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Rokinon 85mm F1.4 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,155Gear list
Like?
Keep in mind it also has Exposure Safety Shift

mistermejia wrote:

24Peter wrote:

mistermejia wrote:

Hello!

Thanks!

But.... Canon has upped the functionality of AUTO ISO on it's newer cameras and it works fine. I think there are still a few limitations compared to Nikon (for instance, no EC when using Auto ISO in M mode), but it is no longer a bummer to use Auto ISO on new Canon DSLR's. For instance, Auto ISO is quite useful on my 60D - but no so much on my 5DII since I would really like to use it in M mode when taking stills. (They did add this function to video shooting by a firmware update but inexplicably left it off still photo mode.)

Thanks good information. I understand what you are saying. My S5 pro behaves the same. I can't change EC when i am in M

I will double check this with the 6D next time i am at store.

Meaning upon detection of pretty obvious over or under exposure it will shift either ISO or Aperture/Shutter speed depending on mode, etc.  This is particularly useful for shooting wide open with primes and only having a 1/4k shutter speed if it is too bright it automatically stops down a bit.  Typically a sharper stopped down image with more DOF is the far lesser of two evils compared to a completely blown out image (due to the 1/4k shutter speed limitation).

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000Gear list
Like?

It was a bit hit-and-miss on the 5D II, but works well on my 5D III. So I'd be surprised if it didn't work well on the newer 6D.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
Spad16
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?

It's useful, I have it on all the time (yes I'm lazy). But you need to keep an eye on it, I've found it tends to be rather extreme, it will try to use ISO100 where I wouldn't have. But on the whole it's pretty good.
/Neil

Spad16's gear list:Spad16's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?

It works better on 5D3 than on 5D2 . Now is useful . And so , I guess , should be on 6D .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Philippe Castagna
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?

mistermejia wrote:

Hello!

Thanks!

I'm using the 6d since a year now and use auto iso 95% of the time.

it's reliable and especially shooting in really low or moving light, setting the higher iso to 25600 it set automatically the best ratio in between speed and image quality. It's a lot of steps in between 12800 and 25600. Knowing that in this range the iso level could become really critical.

In between 6400 and 12800 it's much less critical as the result is always good within this range.

under 6400 it is no issue anymore due to the high level of details which is kept on every shot.

also select a minimum shutter speed could be convenient and more if you are using a lens without IS or if you are shooting people moving that you want sharp. For ex. I generally set a min speed of 1/60 when I'm using the 40 f/2.8 and I get a really high level of keeper sharp...

cheers

-- hide signature --
 Philippe Castagna's gear list:Philippe Castagna's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Peter Kwok
Senior MemberPosts: 2,148Gear list
Like?
fast & easy way to change the minimum shutter speed?

Auto ISO is extremely helpful for covering events like church wedding where flash is not allowed. I can quickly go from B&G on stage under bright lights to family members sitting in the dimly lighted pews. I usually shoot Av mode, but keep my eye on the shutter speed and ISO the camera selects. I can influence those settings by changing the f-stop and exposure compensation. I am very satisfied with the results.

I would prefer to shoot auto ISO in M mode. However, the lack of exposure compensation (due to the lack of a 3rd dial) rules that out.

What I want is a fast & easy way to change the minimum shutter speed. I usually shoot 1/60 or higher for candid, 1/30 for pose and 1/8 for still life. Is there a way to put the min shutter speed on My Menu? I can only put the upper level ISO speed settings on My Menu. That forces me to drill down 1 level to make any change.

-- hide signature --

Peter Kwok
Click here for my PBase gallery
WYSIWYG - If you don't like what you get, try to see differently.

Peter Kwok's gear list:Peter Kwok's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +1 more
Charlie Phillips
Contributing MemberPosts: 596Gear list
Like?

Generally pretty good in the newer bodies, very happy with Auto ISO on my IDX & 70D - but I'm really looking forward to the IDX firmware upgrade in January where you will be able to get EC in M with Auto ISO - maybe they might roll this out to other bodies soon too...are you listening Canon???

-- hide signature --

Best Wishes from Scotland,
Charlie.
www.charliephillipsimages.co.uk
Scottish Nature Photographer of the Year 2012

Charlie Phillips's gear list:Charlie Phillips's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charlie Phillips, 8 months ago

Yes, it works well on the 6D - I use it a lot, whereas I never used it on the 5D II.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M Pentax Q +34 more
24Peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005
Like?
In reply to Rock and Rollei, 8 months ago

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Yes, it works well on the 6D - I use it a lot, whereas I never used it on the 5D II.

I'm jealous. If the 6D had a swivel screen, that - and functioning Auto ISO in M mode - would have been reason enough for me to upgrade.

Brad Evans
Contributing MemberPosts: 555Gear list
Like?
Re: It's the only mode I shoot with

mistermejia wrote:

Hello!

Thanks!

Since getting my 6D almost a year ago, it's the only mode I shoot when out shooting on the street...

My 5DII had Auto ISO mode, but it was very clumsy in comparison.  With the 6D I can shoot in Aperture Priority, Auto ISO, and specify a minimum shutter speed that's fast enough to capture reasonable motion of people walking on the street (that was missing on the 5DII), in almost any kind of light.

I no longer need to think about ISO and an acceptable shutter speed for most most circumstances. In situations where the light is really low, like in a bar, I'll pick a slower minimum shutter speed so the ISO doesn't get too high.

Try it, you'll like it!

Brad
Urban photoblog: http://www.citysnaps.net

Pete512
Forum MemberPosts: 62Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brad Evans, 8 months ago

If you want to shoot with Auto ISO, then you are letting the camera decide some part of the exposure calculation.  In that case, I can't see why you still want Manual mode.

Typically, you want to control the Aperture for DOF control or Shutter Speed for movement. So if you use Av or TV, then you have exposure compensation available on the other dial, and still have control over the exposure parameter most important for the situation.

With the high ISO capabilities of the 6D, I have found this to be the preferred mode.  On my 60D, I stay in Manual because I'm not so confident that the lowest ISO possible will be chosen.

Pete512's gear list:Pete512's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +22 more
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,485
Like?
In reply to Pete512, 8 months ago

Pete512 wrote:

If you want to shoot with Auto ISO, then you are letting the camera decide some part of the exposure calculation.

No, you dont. The only thing you can control regarding exposure is Aperture and Shutter Speed. ISO is amplification, not part of exposure.

In that case, I can't see why you still want Manual mode.

Because you can control both Aperture and Shutter Speed.

Typically, you want to control the Aperture for DOF control or Shutter Speed for movement.

Typically, you may want to control both.

On my 60D, I stay in Manual because I'm not so confident that the lowest ISO possible will be chosen.

Why not? if you use Av, you are letting the camera choose the right shutter speed for the luminance level, Why suddenly do you not trust the camera using the same metering system to choose the right amplification level?

ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,485
Like?
In reply to Brad Evans, 8 months ago

Brad Evans wrote:

With the 6D I can shoot in Aperture Priority, Auto ISO, and specify a minimum shutter speed that's fast enough to capture reasonable motion of people walking on the street (that was missing on the 5DII), in almost any kind of light.

Can you specify minimum shutter speed on 6D? how do you do that? I thought it is just a pre-programmed ratio of FL.

Hans Kruse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,086
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, 8 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

Brad Evans wrote:

With the 6D I can shoot in Aperture Priority, Auto ISO, and specify a minimum shutter speed that's fast enough to capture reasonable motion of people walking on the street (that was missing on the 5DII), in almost any kind of light.

Can you specify minimum shutter speed on 6D? how do you do that? I thought it is just a pre-programmed ratio of FL.

The settings are the same as with the 5D III. You can set auto or minimum shutter speed for auto ISO. The maximum minimum shutter speed is 1/250s just like the 5D III.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Hans Kruse
Home Page -- www.hanskrusephotography.com, http://500px.com/hanskrusephotography, www.hanskrusephotography.zenfolio.com
Workshops -- www.hanskrusephotography.com/gallery/14682573_Q9mq4
Facebook Photography http://www.facebook.com/HansKrusePhotography
Workshop Newsletter signup http://eepurl.com/bA0Pj

rolette
Regular MemberPosts: 255
Like?
In reply to ultimitsu, 8 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

Pete512 wrote:

If you want to shoot with Auto ISO, then you are letting the camera decide some part of the exposure calculation.

No, you dont. The only thing you can control regarding exposure is Aperture and Shutter Speed. ISO is amplification, not part of exposure.

What world are you living in where ISO isn't part of the exposure triangle?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads