Anyone for a war of the roses analogy?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Karaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,979Gear list
Like?
Anyone for a war of the roses analogy?
Dec 11, 2013

So much drama on the forum these days. 4/3 is dead. Olympus has delivered a m4/3 camera, the EM-1, as the new flagship for both m4/3 and 4/3 users. We are all supposed to embrace their idea of 'one beautiful system'. The crux of the controversy seems to be whether people here view the EM-1 as savior or usurper.

The analogy may seem stretched, but consider the parallels to the English war of the roses. There is a battle at Bosworth field (the 'competition' between the E-7 prototype and the EM-1). The victor, Henry Tudor (the EM-1) is declared the true king of all the Britons. The good Bishops and chroniclers of the land (DP Review and DxO) declare him to be the true and just king (good AF, DR and high ISO), while the deposed Plantagenet king, Richard the III (the E-5) is vilified as an evil cur who murdered his nephews (banding, noise at high ISO and poor DR and AF). Once more, peace and prosperity is promised as the new king will wed the deposed king's niece, ending years of conflict and uniting the houses of York and Lancaster for all time (with the on chip phase detect AF and lens adaptor you can mate your 4/3 lenses to Henry Tudor, er, your EM-1. One beautiful system!).

There is much feasting and rejoicing. With the peace restored, it is declared, England (Olympus) can now devote it's resources to fighting it's real enemies - France and Spain (Canon and Nikon). The general joviality is spoiled by one thing only. A handful of stiff necked and grizzled Yorkist knights and men at arms have refused to come to court and bend their knees to the new king. Pathetic devotees to a lost cause they can still be spied roaming the lawless, most remote marches of the realm, their shields yet festooned with the sun and boars head devices of York and the deposed king as they long for what was lost unto them (tele centricity and optical viewfinders). A desperate and dangerous lot wearing battered armour and with their well worn, yet still formidable, great swords (long SHG lenses) hanging from their saddlebows. Too few in number too offer open battle they are still quick to defend the honour of their deposed king. Many road with him back in the glory days of Barnet and Tewkesbury and swear that Richard (the E-5) always did rite by them and the crimes he is accused of are nothing but Tudor propaganda. They question both the legitimacy and masculinity of the new king (a weak man with inadequate batterie reserves) These men face hard choices. They can live out their days in obscurity (just keep shooting their E-5s until they die) swallow their pride and bend their knees (get an EM-1) or sail across the channel and seek refuge in another monarch's court (switch to Canon or Nikon).

Personally, I like to keep my options open. I intend to keep my E-5, eventually purchase an EM-1 for my wife and build up my Canon system as well. Provided adequate funds are available!

Karaya's gear list:Karaya's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +2 more
Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kim R
Forum ProPosts: 17,884
Like?
Re: Anyone for a war of the roses analogy?
In reply to Karaya, Dec 11, 2013

Good analogy it was.

-- hide signature --

_
( ' >
/ ) )
//'~ KimR

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,783Gear list
Like?

Karaya wrote:

...while the deposed Plantagenet king, Richard the III (the E-5) is vilified as an evil cur who murdered his nephews...

Too much drama...

In our case, the deposed king still sells new for more money than the new one, and most of the followers of the new king still have one or more deposed kings in their collection.

Not to mention that it's the new king which is vilified, especially for not being able to do things that the old king couldn't do neither.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 +36 more
Karaya
Like?
In reply to goblin, Dec 11, 2013

goblin wrote:

Karaya wrote:

...while the deposed Plantagenet king, Richard the III (the E-5) is vilified as an evil cur who murdered his nephews...

Too much drama...

Well of course it is over dramatized - it was meant to entertain!

Olympus Zuiko Digital 300mm 1:2.8 Olympus E-5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +2 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,828
Like?
At the risk of sounding repetitive... 4/3 is not dead.

The only thing that is dead is the OVF. What it was replaced with is pretty darn good - I don't find the latest EVF's to an impediment to proper composition.

The 4/3 sensor is in the best shape it has ever been in. The latest tests show that it's pretty much on a par with the larger sensors, up to around ISO3200, and not far off up to 12800. It is now available from two sources, and we may well see a Sigma/Foveon entry soon - wouldn't that be an interesting option to have? Last year, the EM5 got 'camera of the year' from a lot of publications including DPR, the EM1 may get it this year. Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape, and Andy Westlake of DPR, two people who have access to pretty much any high end camera made today, both have purchased EM1's for their own use. Not reviewed, purchased with their own money. That should tell you something.

And the trolls who used to dismiss 4/3 as irrelevant, now growl at it's owners as 'arrogant'. Music, sweet music.

There may not be any more 4/3 ZD lenses coming, but what exists today works great on the EM1. The MZD Pro line appears to have the same characteristics (especially the same wicked sharp IQ) as the HG and SHG glass that we all know so well. Add in the very good fast primes that us 4/3 owners begged for: 12 2.0, 17 1.8, 45 1.8, 75 1.8. Plus the 40-150 F2.8 on the way, and maybe a 7-14 F2.8 after that. Plus the F.95 Voigtlanders. A new PL 15mm prime. And several Panny lenses worthy of respect.

Oly has gone to great lengths to keep original 4/3 owners supported, including providing an award winning body that is assured of future development from its current robust sales to a broad spectrum of people.

Looking at that very rosy future, is it worth getting bent out of shape over a mirror and a prism? I don't think so.

Jay Jenner
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?

Oh, I though you meant the film. I was trying to figure out what role Danny DeVito would play in all this

Jay Jenner's gear list:Jay Jenner's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
Hilarious!

Yes - there are many parallels.  I vote for a general amnesty for these vagabond raiders.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
MatijaK
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?

Can we get a car analogy instead?

Karaya
Like?
In reply to MatijaK, Dec 11, 2013

MatijaK wrote:

Sorry, not today. I am in full on history mode. Perhaps I could manage a WWI - II analogy comparing the 'overpriced' and 'overbuilt' 4/3 SHG lenses and Ex bodies to the German kriegsmarine's expensive yet excellent battlecruisers and battleships. Would that work for you?

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,841Gear list
Like?

Karaya wrote:

MatijaK wrote:

Sorry, not today. I am in full on history mode. Perhaps I could manage a WWI - II analogy comparing the 'overpriced' and 'overbuilt' 4/3 SHG lenses and Ex bodies to the German kriegsmarine's expensive yet excellent battlecruisers and battleships. Would that work for you?

rather tanks, not ships.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
Max Pegler
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?

Very clever. And too true unfortunately

Regards

Max P

Max Pegler's gear list:Max Pegler's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-520 +42 more
revio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281Gear list
Like?

Karaya wrote:

So much drama on the forum these days. 4/3 is dead. Olympus has delivered a m4/3 camera, the EM-1, as the new flagship for both m4/3 and 4/3 users. We are all supposed to embrace their idea of 'one beautiful system'. The crux of the controversy seems to be whether people here view the EM-1 as savior or usurper.

The analogy may seem stretched, but consider the parallels to the English war of the roses. There is a battle at Bosworth field (the 'competition' between the E-7 prototype and the EM-1). The victor, Henry Tudor (the EM-1) is declared the true king of all the Britons. The good Bishops and chroniclers of the land (DP Review and DxO) declare him to be the true and just king (good AF, DR and high ISO), while the deposed Plantagenet king, Richard the III (the E-5) is vilified as an evil cur who murdered his nephews (banding, noise at high ISO and poor DR and AF). Once more, peace and prosperity is promised as the new king will wed the deposed king's niece, ending years of conflict and uniting the houses of York and Lancaster for all time (with the on chip phase detect AF and lens adaptor you can mate your 4/3 lenses to Henry Tudor, er, your EM-1. One beautiful system!).

There is much feasting and rejoicing. With the peace restored, it is declared, England (Olympus) can now devote it's resources to fighting it's real enemies - France and Spain (Canon and Nikon). The general joviality is spoiled by one thing only. A handful of stiff necked and grizzled Yorkist knights and men at arms have refused to come to court and bend their knees to the new king. Pathetic devotees to a lost cause they can still be spied roaming the lawless, most remote marches of the realm, their shields yet festooned with the sun and boars head devices of York and the deposed king as they long for what was lost unto them (tele centricity and optical viewfinders). A desperate and dangerous lot wearing battered armour and with their well worn, yet still formidable, great swords (long SHG lenses) hanging from their saddlebows. Too few in number too offer open battle they are still quick to defend the honour of their deposed king. Many road with him back in the glory days of Barnet and Tewkesbury and swear that Richard (the E-5) always did rite by them and the crimes he is accused of are nothing but Tudor propaganda. They question both the legitimacy and masculinity of the new king (a weak man with inadequate batterie reserves) These men face hard choices. They can live out their days in obscurity (just keep shooting their E-5s until they die) swallow their pride and bend their knees (get an EM-1) or sail across the channel and seek refuge in another monarch's court (switch to Canon or Nikon).

Personally, I like to keep my options open. I intend to keep my E-5, eventually purchase an EM-1 for my wife and build up my Canon system as well. Provided adequate funds are available!

Haha, hilarious!!!

Really, this well written "analogy" made my day (or, rather, my evening)

Thanks, from a previous E-5 owner. I still have my E-620, which is out of "combat order" through having a faulty display, so the camera I do use is my E-M5.

Yet no EM-1 to be seen on my horizon.

-- hide signature --

Aim & Frame

OM 6Ti Plus
Contributing MemberPosts: 729
Like?
In reply to Karaya, Dec 12, 2013

How about Robin Hood and his Merry Men vs King John and The Sheriff of Nottingham

Mike

GHB
GHB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,312Gear list
Like?

Thanks so much for that.  Enjoyable.  Even prompted me to post a reply; don't do that very much these days.

Still staring at some boxed-up old-kingdom wares and not yet quite willing to put them on the auction block...

-- hide signature --

George

GHB's gear list:GHB's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
Karaya
Like?
In reply to GHB, Dec 12, 2013

GHB wrote:

Thanks so much for that. Enjoyable. Even prompted me to post a reply; don't do that very much these days.

Still staring at some boxed-up old-kingdom wares and not yet quite willing to put them on the auction block...

-- hide signature --

George

Glad you enjoyed it!

CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?

Agreed .

I just don't know if E-M1 is the THE replacement I want this time around. It works for others so that's also fine by me.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Karaya
Like?
But Collin...
In reply to CollBaxter, Dec 12, 2013

It was you that I was imagining in my head when I described the disaffected knights of the house of York. You could be a bit more combative!

Airmel
Regular MemberPosts: 376Gear list
Like?
Oh my...

Very funny stuff.

-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +11 more
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
Knight Collin - I like it

yes - it might take an em2 to lower the evf lag time and make the pdaf spots all cross type

The new 40-150 which should be at an SHG level of sharpness with a longer reach than the 35-100 shg it replaces in the product line, with the new ec 1.4 Olympus is developing might be a pretty decent lens for CAF for at least what I used to use my Canon long glass for.

Time will tell.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
The Knights of York.

Karaya wrote:

It was you that I was imagining in my head when I described the disaffected knights of the house of York. You could be a bit more combative!

Oh but I can draw an analogy.

Maybe some of us Knights of York are observing the reaction to The emperors new clothes.

And hoping the next suit of clothes fits a bit better and covers up a couple of exposed bits and bobs we can see exposed. 

Its a long way to France and if we go it will have to be without and luggage we will wait for Henry  VIII the true unifier of England. ( Well except in the marriage department. )

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads