Hybrid CMOS AF II

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
kyrcy
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
Hybrid CMOS AF II
9 months ago

I read in the EOS 100D/Rebel SL1 review (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-100d-rebel-sl1/6) that "Introduced in the EOS 650D and also included in the EOS M, Canon's 'hybrid' AF system gets an update in the EOS 100D" and "In a significant upgrade from the version found on the EOS M and 650D, the 'Mark II' hybrid AF on the EOS 100D now covers a very large percentage of the live view area". If I understand this correctly the Hybrid CMOS AF II in the EOS 100D is not the same system in the EOS 650D and EOS M and in any case. But still I haven't seen this difference mentioned in comparisons of the 100D with the 650D in various websites and forums and I wonder why? I am thinking that the 100D could produce better video than the 650D if using the same lens. Am I correct?

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,498
Like?
Re: Hybrid CMOS AF II
In reply to kyrcy, 9 months ago

Compare DPR's conclusions for the two cameras:

650D/T4i: "Slow 'hybrid AF' performance in live view and video modes (compared to mirrorless competition)"

SL1/100D: "Hybrid AF II / STM lens combo is noticeably improved for live view and movie shooting"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,215Gear list
Like?
only SL1 + EOS-M2 have Hybrid AF (II), 650d/700d/M1 = old Hybrid AF 1
In reply to kyrcy, 9 months ago

Hybrid AF 1 = 650d, 700d, and EOS-M

Hybrid AF II = SL1 (100d) and EOS-M2

Dual Pixel AF = Canon 70D

Hybrid AF II is a significant faster than from Hybrid AF 1.  Google or Youtube for comparsion.  I saw one recently with SL1 vs 650d on 18-135 (non-stm) vs 18-135 stm vs 17-85 USM.  In all the multiple comparison, HAII is shown to be significantly faster than HA1 with a STM lens.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,674Gear list
Like?
Re: only SL1 + EOS-M2 have Hybrid AF (II), 650d/700d/M1 = old Hybrid AF 1
In reply to 007peter, 9 months ago

007peter wrote:

Hybrid AF 1 = 650d, 700d, and EOS-M

Is the firmware update to the EOS-M (that made it a lot faster) considered to bring it up to the level of version II? That was released after the 100D AFAICT...

Hybrid AF II = SL1 (100d) and EOS-M2

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ.

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,215Gear list
Like?
@WilbaW, no, M1 + Firmware 2.02 is far slow than M2 Hybrid AF II
In reply to WilbaW, 9 months ago

WilbaW wrote:

Is the firmware update to the EOS-M (that made it a lot faster) considered to bring it up to the level of version II? That was released after the 100D AFAICT...

No, while firmware 2.02 improved the AF speed of EOS-M1

that improved speed is only about 1/2 of the new EOS-M2 with Hybrid Sensor AF II

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Nikon D3100 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Hybrid CMOS AF II
In reply to justmeMN, 9 months ago

justmeMN wrote:

650D/T4i: "Slow 'hybrid AF' performance in live view and video modes (compared to mirrorless competition)"

I've found that the latest firmware for the T4i has improved the Live View AF speed nicely.  Highly recommend updating.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads