Anyone have any info on 85mm e mount?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
robbinsbox
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Anyone have any info on 85mm e mount?
9 months ago

Going a bit loony as we do. I thought there would be an e mount (not fe) af 85mm coming. All the recent roadmaps just show the fe lens. Not interested in manual lens.

Many , many thanks

robbinsbox

robbinsbox's gear list:robbinsbox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
Re: Anyone have any info on 85mm e mount?
In reply to robbinsbox, 9 months ago

I would hope one of the next FE class E mount lenses that comes out would be an 85/2 or 85/1.8.

I'm not sure why you care (other than perhaps price) about whether an 85mm is FE class or E class E mount. Both are the same E mount. Myself, if I were shooting NEX and an 85mm FE class lens came out, and I liked how it rendered, I'd buy it without a thought to whether it is FE or E class E mount.

I might even think that having an FE class lens in my bag future proofs my lens investment, providing for the day when I might pick up a FE class full frame Sony camera.

Look at other makers for examples of this in practice. Nikon makes a very nice 85/1.8 G lens; I bought mine for ~ 435.00 on sale. It's a full frame lens (FX) but many shoot it on APS-C (DX, in Nikon speak) cameras. The 85/1.8G is a huge value in their lens line up. Built out of that lightweight crappy plastic stuff to be sure, but the performance is there. After shooting this lens for a while I decided against spending up for the somewhat larger and way more expensive 85/1.4G.

Rather than wishing for a limited APS-C 85mm lens, I'd rather wish for a FE class 85mm lens and while we are wishing let's ask Sony to keep the price reasonable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,018Gear list
Like?

Going a bit loony as we do. I thought there would be an e mount (not fe) af 85mm coming. All the recent roadmaps just show the fe lens. Not interested in manual lens.

Many , many thanks

robbinsbox

We should see the announcement for the 85mm sometime in Spring, with two more FE lenses (a Sony Zeiss ultra wide zoom and a Sony G macro being the other two).

Since 85mm is a FF portrait FL, I think the plan was to launch FE bodies before Any FE lenses although, it would have been better for Sony to have announced this lens as well with the camera bodies.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
There is no info and FE lenses only for a while

Sorry, but Sony is focusing on FE lenses now.  They work with APS and FF without reduced resolution and they can be priced higher.  If they were to work on an 85mm lens today for APS, they would then have to duplicate the effort to create an FE version that would cost more but similar in size.  There si no incentive to create APS lenses that undercut FE lenses in price.  ALL camera companies are struggling to be profitable.

robbinsbox
Like?

yeah, because of price.. A zeiss is way to much. in theory a dedicated apc lens would be quite a bit smaller/lighter too. less glass i suppose.

+1 for something like the 85mm 1.8 or 100mm 2

thx for replies

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

yeah, because of price.. A zeiss is way to much. in theory a dedicated apc lens would be quite a bit smaller/lighter too. less glass i suppose.

+1 for something like the 85mm 1.8 or 100mm 2

thx for replies

The choice of 85mm is preferred on FF (APSc equiv would be 55-58mm). This is also the reason behind only one of the plastic fantastic trio for A-mount being for FF (85mm).

And if there is a plan to launch FF, it makes sense to hold on from releasing lenses on FF focal lengths that can be shared with APSc. We already see this issue with 24/1.8, 35/1.8 and 50/1.8 lenses which are all APSc. In fact, my wishful thinking is that Sony creates FE version of all three. And 85/1.8 would have been the fourth.

I think Sony has way too many APSc primes especially now that FF sensor has arrived.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,344Gear list
Like?

robbinsbox wrote:

This lens can and should be FE, it will fill both needs for APS-C and Full Frame users, and since it is an 85mm it will make very small impact on size and cost supporting both formats.

For 24mm f/1.8, make dedicated FE vs E lens, for 50mm and longer just make FE (again, not much size difference or cost difference between FE vs E lenses at longer focal lengths).

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 912
Like?

robbinsbox wrote:

Many , many thanks

robbinsbox

I think a full frame lens at f 2.8 with good performance wide open would be best. Such a lens could be made at the same thickness as the SEL 1.8/50, about 30 mm longer and not much heavier.

sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?
In reply to viking79, 9 months ago

viking79 wrote:
This lens can and should be FE, it will fill both needs for APS-C and Full Frame users, and since it is an 85mm it will make very small impact on size and cost supporting both formats.

Agree with you Eric.

Also... many of us in FE land really want an 85 or 90 PDQ.

robbinsbox
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

too many primes? over 50mm there is nothing. That s not a gap, not a chasm, its a void. No portrait lens.

the zeiss will cost a cool £1000-1500. Not a lens to mess around with.

Cant just be me that wants a reasonably sharp (not outstanding) cheap telephoto, 75mm and up.

I guess you are right tho. It will be FE. Nothing against FE, just that weight is not needed and it will not be priced for trash like me:)

Help us Sigma...

And thx for the helpful replies

robbinsbox
Like?
In reply to 120 to 35, 9 months ago

viking , thats interesting. i didnt know that the size difference would be negligible FF to apsc...

BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

Meh, I'm just getting the Samyang 85mm F/1.4.  Cheap and sharp, and should be incredible with my Metabones Speed Booster.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,460
Like?

I don't see much reason for both FF and APS lenses in 85mm. I expect the difference in size and price would be pretty small and, as someone said, a FF is somewhat future proof -- still usable if you want to move to FF someday and also likely to hold resale value better.

My personal vote would be for a FF 85 2.8 -- I think that could be relatively compact and affordable, as well as being a first-quality lens. The A-mount 85 2.8 is certainly small and cheap enough, but has a solid reputation for image quality.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

EinsteinsGhost
Like?

too many primes? over 50mm there is nothing. That s not a gap, not a chasm, its a void. No portrait lens.

the zeiss will cost a cool £1000-1500. Not a lens to mess around with.

Cant just be me that wants a reasonably sharp (not outstanding) cheap telephoto, 75mm and up.

I guess you are right tho. It will be FE. Nothing against FE, just that weight is not needed and it will not be priced for trash like me:)

Help us Sigma...

And thx for the helpful replies

I would love it if it were cheap but I doubt Sony will compromise build and attributes... More along the lines of 55mm f/1.8. As a two mount consumer, I am already sold on Sony Zeiss 55/1.8 Sonnar FE over A-mount 50/1.4 Planar. I suspect the same might apply to 85mm.

When I said Sony already makes too many APSc primes, I meant it. Canon, Nikon and Sony are three manufacturers offering both APSc and FF bodies. Only Sony actually has an APSc prime lineup on both mounts. IMO, overlapping FL should be covered by an inclusive lens which means FF as it will support both. So, zooms make sense with crop sensor amd even some very wide FL like 16mm and 20mm. But beyond that, I think it should all be FE (on E-mount) and non-DT on A-mount.

Size, weight and cost difference should be negligible also supported by a larger base now (Helping FF).

Sigma, if chooses to go for an 85, will also make it FF lens. In fact Sigma's options for APSc primes are very limited too. Note how Sigma selected its trio for DN (mirrorless) lenses: 19, 30, 60. This translates to a popular trio of 28, 45, 90mm focal lengths on range finder cameras.

Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 9 months ago

Gato Amarillo wrote:

I don't see much reason for both FF and APS lenses in 85mm. I expect the difference in size and price would be pretty small and, as someone said, a FF is somewhat future proof -- still usable if you want to move to FF someday and also likely to hold resale value better.

My personal vote would be for a FF 85 2.8 -- I think that could be relatively compact and affordable, as well as being a first-quality lens. The A-mount 85 2.8 is certainly small and cheap enough, but has a solid reputation for image quality.

Gato

-- hide signature --

silvermirage.com

It also has a reputation for slow-ish AF... and it's only f2.8.

I keep hoping that one day (now that there's an incentive with all these Canon lens owners getting A7/7r) Metabones or someone would come up with a Canon EF to FE adapter allowing full focusing speed, then I could use the super fast focusing, excellent Canon EF 85/1.8 USM. Losing that lens is one of my biggest regrets on jumping the ship.

If that doesn't happen, I will look at the A-mount 85/2.8 before getting the (most likely 2-3x as expensive) FE lens... when it appears.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to Amamba, 9 months ago

Gato Amarillo wrote:

Gato

-- hide signature --

silvermirage.com

It also has a reputation for slow-ish AF... and it's only f2.8.

I keep hoping that one day (now that there's an incentive with all these Canon lens owners getting A7/7r) Metabones or someone would come up with a Canon EF to FE adapter allowing full focusing speed, then I could use the super fast focusing, excellent Canon EF 85/1.8 USM. Losing that lens is one of my biggest regrets on jumping the ship.

If that doesn't happen, I will look at the A-mount 85/2.8 before getting the (most likely 2-3x as expensive) FE lens... when it appears.

The 85/2.8 being a FF lens, on FF camera is comparable to 55/1.8 on an APSc. When I need a portrait lens, I go with Sigma 70/2.8 (105mm, f/4 FF equiv) and it provides just enough DOF. So my personal view on an 85mm lens is really for a short tele that is fast not necessarily for shallower DOF) so hopefully an f/1.8 to also keep size in check (compared to f/1.4).

I believe the A-mount 85/2.8 uses Sonnar formula (although it isn't badges a Zeiss). I used to have a Jupiter 9 (?) which was a Sonnar design as well, 85/2 in that case. But as with older fast lenses, the wide open performance was washed out (low contrast) and magically very good at f/2.8.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,890Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 9 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Many , many thanks

robbinsbox

We should see the announcement for the 85mm sometime in Spring, with two more FE lenses (a Sony Zeiss ultra wide zoom and a Sony G macro being the other two).

Since 85mm is a FF portrait FL, I think the plan was to launch FE bodies before Any FE lenses although, it would have been better for Sony to have announced this lens as well with the camera bodies.

There have been predictions of an 85mm lens for NEX going back about 3 years. It just never happened. Why? A Rokinon version was discussed a while back.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50817380

Sony's  commitment to APSC-NEX was never really 100%. Not in firmware updates or in offering enough good lenses. I hope that situation improves in the future.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,028Gear list
Like?
Re: There is no info and FE lenses only for a while
In reply to DT200, 9 months ago

DT200 wrote:

Sorry, but Sony is focusing on FE lenses now. They work with APS and FF without reduced resolution and they can be priced higher. If they were to work on an 85mm lens today for APS, they would then have to duplicate the effort to create an FE version that would cost more but similar in size. There si no incentive to create APS lenses that undercut FE lenses in price. ALL camera companies are struggling to be profitable.

Sony's own A-mount 85mm lens is Full Frame. Granted, it is 'only' f/2.8 but it is fairly cheap.

We all would welcome a f/1.8 85mm E-mount lens. I would expect it to cover FF. I doubt that covering FF would neither hamper lens design nor increase pricing much...

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads