GPS on F770EXR ?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 5,982
Like?
GPS on F770EXR ?
4 months ago

I'm planning to buy one last EXR camera, on the assumption that Fujifilm is going to discontinue the sensor. I would like an X10 with bigger LCD and without viewfinder, but it obviously is not going to happen. XF1 lens failure stories scare me.

The F900EXR seems the obvious choice, but it does not have GPS, which is more important to me than ultra-fast autofocus. I have three SD card readers, so wireless is not critical (yet). So here's my question:

If you have an F770EXR, does the GPS work well enough that you can use it productively?

On my old F550EXR, it did not. Took a very long time to acquire satellite triangulation, and sometimes it never did. Whereas the GPS on the Panasonic TS and Nikon AW models works well.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm XF1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,805
Like?
Re: GPS on F770EXR ?
In reply to CAcreeks, 4 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

I'm planning to buy one last EXR camera, on the assumption that Fujifilm is going to discontinue the sensor. I would like an X10 with bigger LCD and without viewfinder, but it obviously is not going to happen. XF1 lens failure stories scare me.

The F900EXR seems the obvious choice, but it does not have GPS, which is more important to me than ultra-fast autofocus. I have three SD card readers, so wireless is not critical (yet). So here's my question:

If you have an F770EXR, does the GPS work well enough that you can use it productively?

On my old F550EXR, it did not. Took a very long time to acquire satellite triangulation, and sometimes it never did. Whereas the GPS on the Panasonic TS and Nikon AW models works well.

My original F550's GPS worked like your old F550, so poorly that I exchanged it, and that one worked reasonably well. My F770's GPS seemed to work better but I never compared them because I don't normally use the GPS unless I'm traveling. The GPS had been disabled on both cameras for more than a year so I enabled both quickly (active only when powered on) and then powered them off. About an hour later I had them out in a park, powered them on simultaneously and took a picture within a about five seconds and then waited for signs that the GPS got a satellite fix. The F770 took 45 seconds and the F550 took 115 seconds. The sky seemed blue and pretty clear but I didn't look at it very closely. When I returned to that location about 40 minutes later and examined the sky it appeared that the entire sky was slightly obscured by a thin cloud cover, but nowhere was it so dense that the blue was replaced by white.

It seems like a good time to buy an F770EXR. I don't know if you saw a recent forum link to Rakuten's sale price (they say that they used to be known as buy.com), but they apparently still have white F770's for $146.89. I thought that I'd wait for the F900's price to drop, but this F770 is starting to look a little better, since it may be the last of the EXR cameras with GPS.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/fujifilm-finepix-f770exr-digital-camera-white/246007852.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CAcreeks
Like?
In reply to photoreddi, 4 months ago

Thanks Monsieur Reddi, 45 seconds is acceptable. My buddies with TS4 and AW100 sometimes take longer than that, probably due to trees, but I think both those models are faster in a clearing.

White for $147? Wow, red is at least $70 more and white would be my second preference after red.

The F770EXR also does Raw, but having tried it a few times, it's something I probably would never use.

photoreddi wrote:

My original F550's GPS worked like your old F550, so poorly that I exchanged it, and that one worked reasonably well. My F770's GPS seemed to work better but I never compared them because I don't normally use the GPS unless I'm traveling. The GPS had been disabled on both cameras for more than a year so I enabled both quickly (active only when powered on) and then powered them off. About an hour later I had them out in a park, powered them on simultaneously and took a picture within a about five seconds and then waited for signs that the GPS got a satellite fix. The F770 took 45 seconds and the F550 took 115 seconds. The sky seemed blue and pretty clear but I didn't look at it very closely. When I returned to that location about 40 minutes later and examined the sky it appeared that the entire sky was slightly obscured by a thin cloud cover, but nowhere was it so dense that the blue was replaced by white.

It seems like a good time to buy an F770EXR. I don't know if you saw a recent forum link to Rakuten's sale price (they say that they used to be known as buy.com), but they apparently still have white F770's for $146.89. I thought that I'd wait for the F900's price to drop, but this F770 is starting to look a little better, since it may be the last of the EXR cameras with GPS.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/fujifilm-finepix-f770exr-digital-camera-white/246007852.html

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,466
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, 4 months ago

CA, just use you 550 and spend the money on a new carbon paddle!!

CAcreeks
Like?
In reply to Sactojim, 4 months ago

Sactojim wrote:

CA, just use your 550 and spend the money on a new carbon paddle!!

On the Chetco (southernmost river in Oregon) I was taking this photo when a frog jumped in my boat, and while trying to get it back to land, I dropped my F550 in the water. A buddy dove in and retrieved my red(!) camera from the bottom of a deep pool. The SD card and electronics were OK but the lens assembly was not.

Brian Vogt with mere fiberglass paddle

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads