If you have to replace the LX7 with another cam with bigger sensor...

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
One_Oldman_4U
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
If you have to replace the LX7 with another cam with bigger sensor...
Dec 11, 2013

...what will it be? For some reason, I don't foresee Pana replacing the LX7 now that m4/3 are getting smaller with the likes of the GM1 which I'm actually considering.

Something with similar size, IQ (compensating higher ISO to the LX7 fast lens, etc.) provision for external VF is optional, pancake lens that starts at 24mm to keep the size small.

All in all, I want a small size cam with bigger sensor.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --
LX7, FZ200, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-100 non PD

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AndyW17
Regular MemberPosts: 487Gear list
Like?
Re: If you have to replace the LX7 with another cam with bigger sensor...
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, Dec 11, 2013

RX100ii, if you had to do it today.

-- hide signature --

Andy

AndyW17's gear list:AndyW17's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus E-M1 Nikon D610 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AnalogJ
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?

Keep in mind that the lx7 outperforms the RX100 in certain areas BECAUSE of the smaller sensor and wider, faster lens.

wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?

RX100 for me.

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
wolfd
Contributing MemberPosts: 935Gear list
Like?
In reply to AnalogJ, Dec 11, 2013

AnalogJ wrote:

Keep in mind that the lx7 outperforms the RX100 in certain areas BECAUSE of the smaller sensor and wider, faster lens.

.... and that is why I prefer my LX7.

wolfd's gear list:wolfd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-7 Nikon D7000 +2 more
One_Oldman_4U
Like?
In reply to AndyW17, Dec 11, 2013

I had looked at the Sony RX100II, granted that it's an excellent camera, the 28mm is not wide enough for me. If it started at 24mm, I would have gotten one already. Thanks for the input.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
One_Oldman_4U
Like?
In reply to wolfd, Dec 11, 2013

The 24mm wide side of the LX7 is one of the main reason I picked this camera. I was hoping if there's one out there that starts with 24mm and have bigger sensor. I am following the GM1 with the 12-32mm kit lens but at this point still holding back trying to wait a replacement. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

ANAYV
Forum ProPosts: 10,618
Like?
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, Dec 12, 2013

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

The 24mm wide side of the LX7 is one of the main reason I picked this camera. I was hoping if there's one out there that starts with 24mm and have bigger sensor. I am following the GM1 with the 12-32mm kit lens but at this point still holding back trying to wait a replacement. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

Dont forget the added bonus of the Multi Aspect Ratio designed sensor.

Set to 16:9 , the LX7 shoots closer to 22mm wide.

Nice!

ANAYV

Cyril Catt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,228
Like?
In reply to ANAYV, Dec 12, 2013

ANAYV wrote:

One_Oldman_4U wrote: The 24mm wide side of the LX7 is one of the main reason I picked this camera. I was hoping if there's one out there that starts with 24mm and have bigger sensor. I am following the GM1 with the 12-32mm kit lens but at this point still holding back trying to wait a replacement. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting! -- RiK -- LX7, FZ200, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-100 non PD

Set to 16:9 , the LX7 shoots closer to 22mm wide. Nice! ANAYV

Also, the LX7's bayonet fitting can be used to attach even wider lenses, such as Panasonic's optional 18mm accessory lens for the LX5.

And the Multi Aspect Ratio capability is convenient when using the camera as a portable colour copier to speed archival research.

These are only some of the niche uses to which the LX7 can be put.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

AnalogJ
Regular MemberPosts: 413
Like?
In reply to Cyril Catt, Dec 12, 2013

ANAYV wrote:

One_Oldman_4U wrote: The 24mm wide side of the LX7 is one of the main reason I picked this camera. I was hoping if there's one out there that starts with 24mm and have bigger sensor. I am following the GM1 with the 12-32mm kit lens but at this point still holding back trying to wait a replacement. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting! -- RiK -- LX7, FZ200, Nikon 1 V1 with 10-100 non PD

Set to 16:9 , the LX7 shoots closer to 22mm wide. Nice! ANAYV

Also, the LX7's bayonet fitting can be used to attach even wider lenses, such as Panasonic's optional 18mm accessory lens for the LX5.

And the Multi Aspect Ratio capability is convenient when using the camera as a portable colour copier to speed archival research.

These are only some of the niche uses to which the LX7 can be put.

-- hide signature --

Cyril

To me, the LX7 is the perfect combination of size, quality and capability. And there probably won't be a Panasonic follow-up because all many can see is only sensor size.

Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?

If I had to replace my LX7 because something happened to it...I would get another LX7. I couldn't be happier with this camera. If I didn't need the reach sometimes I would probably get rid of my FZ200 and just keep the LX7. I will still have these two cameras years form now. I never get rid of anything. LOL

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
Zbyszek_Z
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Dec 12, 2013

I have very similar opinion about my LX7 + FZ200 combo. It is so good that I am going to stay with them for quite a few years.

You have open my eyes to RAW and SILKYPIX last week. If only I could learn how to use SILKYPIX in efficient and not too complex way...

Thanks for your all advices and readiness to help others.

All the best,

-- hide signature --

Zbyszek

Zbyszek_Z's gear list:Zbyszek_Z's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
One_Oldman_4U
Like?
@ ANAYV and Cyril Catt...
In reply to ANAYV, Dec 12, 2013

Yes indeed. The Multi Aspect Ratio sensor is one GREAT feature. Almost all my shots is with the 16:9 ratio to fill my laptop/pc screen and TV. I can always crop to 4:3 or 3:4 or 1:1 if need be.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

One_Oldman_4U
Like?
I do have both LX7 and FZ200. Just...

Ronomy wrote:

If I had to replace my LX7 because something happened to it...I would get another LX7. I couldn't be happier with this camera. If I didn't need the reach sometimes I would probably get rid of my FZ200 and just keep the LX7. I will still have these two cameras years form now. I never get rid of anything. LOL

Thanks. I also do have both the LX7 and FZ200 and they are great combination that compliment each other. Can't go wrong with these 2 in your arsenal of cameras.

I'm just looking forward just in case something happens to my LX7. I guess with the price dropping, I could get another LX7 to back up my current LX7

As ANAYV and Cyril Catt mentioned, the Multi Aspect Ration sensor is one excellent feature.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,428
Like?
Re: @ ANAYV and Cyril Catt...

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

Yes indeed. The Multi Aspect Ratio sensor is one GREAT feature. Almost all my shots is with the 16:9 ratio to fill my laptop/pc screen and TV. I can always crop to 4:3 or 3:4 or 1:1 if need be.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

I agree! Most of my shots are in the 4:3 mode but many more will be taken with the 16:9 mode because I am liking it so much. I think the Multi Aspect Ratio feature is under appreciated in this camera and in many reviews it is overlooked or misunderstood completely.

The camera as a whole is a gem and I think it will be very hard to top.

-Tim

hydrospanner
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: @ ANAYV and Cyril Catt...
In reply to Timj351, Dec 12, 2013

Barring some unfortunate circumstance that leaves me sans-LX7 within the next...year or so...if and when my LX7 dies of natural causes or is unjustifiably behind the tech curve, I'll likely replace it with a small ILC.  If this is 2-3 years down the road and there's no D400/D9000 released as a DX upgrade to my D300, I might very well completely overhaul my digital photo gear, selling off pretty much everything and going to a do-it-all mirrorless system, probably either Fuji X or m43.

Such a system, for me, would include a wide, mid, and long tele zoom set, as well as 2 or 3 fast compact primes, roughly covering the 28/35/50 equivalents, along with two bodies: a tiny, jacket-pocketable daily carry camera, and a full sized, fully capable model.

In Fuji, we're not quite there yet, but very well may be in 2-3 years, with a tiny body and an X-Pro 2 (or 3).

In m43, we're talking GM1 & EM-5 (or EM-1), with a collapsible zoom, long tele zoom, 20/1.7, and 14/2.5.

All of that being said, if the unthinkable should happen and my LX7 dies tomorrow, I'd likely either buy another LX7 if I found a good sale, pick up a Canon S120, or a GM1 with collapsible kit & 20/1.7.

...and I may have put too much thought into this hypothetical.

hydrospanner's gear list:hydrospanner's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D300 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: I do have both LX7 and FZ200. Just...

Ronomy wrote:

Thanks. I also do have both the LX7 and FZ200 and they are great combination that compliment each other. Can't go wrong with these 2 in your arsenal of cameras.

I'm just looking forward just in case something happens to my LX7. I guess with the price dropping, I could get another LX7 to back up my current LX7

As ANAYV and Cyril Catt mentioned, the Multi Aspect Ration sensor is one excellent feature.

-- hide signature --

Happy Shooting!
-- RiK --

The other thing that is amazing is that F1.4 Lens! Low light video is insanely good! My FZ200 is about the same as my Panasonic video camera indoors in low light. Grainy video but the FZ200 does beat the video camera when using longer focal lengths because of the constant F2.8. But with the LX7 and that lens. WOW! Same video is very clean, sharp and clear. Blows me away every time I shoot indoor video. What a great camera!

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
inti4444
Contributing MemberPosts: 812
Like?
In reply to AnalogJ, Dec 12, 2013

Don/t think so

John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,366Gear list
Like?
And, the LX7 price is dropping again

LX7 prices are hovering close to $300. now at the big retailers. It's hard to pass up and they may be discontinued soon. I've been looking back at my LX3 images from 2009 and they continue to impress.

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
In reply to wolfd, Dec 12, 2013

That's the reason I have a Canon G15 instead of the G1X.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads