How to avoid unwanted image viewer/managers?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Questions
shu246
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
How to avoid unwanted image viewer/managers?
Dec 11, 2013

OK - I'm a 'retro' guy.  That's what the Fuji X10 is all about - right?

To store my stuff, I use Windows Explorer and put the stuff where I doggone want to.  For viewing my pics, I use Irfanview.  For tinkering I use GIMP.

So I tie the X10 to the computer (WinXP or Win7) with the USB cable.  The camera and computer get together and bring up some strange and very primitive viewer.  Even opening the camera and card in Windows Explorer do not give me the option to open the jpg's in Irfanview.

Disclaimer - have not yet tried loading the Fuji provided viewer/managers from the CD came with the camera.  Past experience with the programs that came with other digital cameras was not pleasant.

Yes, if I take the chip out of the camera and plug it into a card reader, I can bypass the camera and the annoying viewers it invokes.  But I dislike to be flipping the camera door open and removing the chip every time I want to look at the last dozen or so shots.

Is there any way to stop the X10 and Windows from opening these unwanted file viewer/managers?

shu246's gear list:shu246's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Fujifilm X10 Epson Stylus Photo R2000
ANSWER:
Fujifilm X10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
patchotoole
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?
Re: How to avoid unwanted image viewer/managers?
In reply to shu246, Dec 11, 2013

What version of Windows are you using?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,110Gear list
Like?
In reply to shu246, Dec 11, 2013

Try this.

Right click on an image, then click "Open With".

At the bottom of the menu click on "Choose Default Program..."

dick's gear list:dick's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Fujifilm X-S1
shu246
Like?
In reply to dick, Dec 12, 2013

Using WinXP and Win7.  The customary Rt-click menu to "Open with", "Chose default Program", etc. is not available.  The camera software gets between the computer and the memory card.  The choices Windows shows are only what the camera wants to show.

Had a bad feeling about this when I read in the Owner's Manual something like "Just connect your camera to the computer with the USB cable, and the camera will do the rest.  Fuji has decided where to put your pictures on the computer and how you can look at them."

Also had a bad feeling when I read that the camera formats the memory card differently from Windows formatting.

I'll use a directory sync program to mirror the camera memory chip to a directory on the computer hard drive.  Shouldn't take much time just to transfer in any new pictures.  Once the pictures are in the computer I'll be able to view and work them as I wish.

-shu

Fujifilm FinePix E550 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Fujifilm X10 Epson Stylus Photo R2000
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 900Gear list
Like?
In reply to shu246, Dec 12, 2013

shu246 wrote:

Using WinXP and Win7. The customary Rt-click menu to "Open with", "Chose default Program", etc. is not available. The camera software gets between the computer and the memory card. The choices Windows shows are only what the camera wants to show.

Had a bad feeling about this when I read in the Owner's Manual something like "Just connect your camera to the computer with the USB cable, and the camera will do the rest. Fuji has decided where to put your pictures on the computer and how you can look at them."

Also had a bad feeling when I read that the camera formats the memory card differently from Windows formatting.

I'll use a directory sync program to mirror the camera memory chip to a directory on the computer hard drive. Shouldn't take much time just to transfer in any new pictures. Once the pictures are in the computer I'll be able to view and work them as I wish.

-shu

Can you post a screen shot of what pops up when you plug your camera into the USB port?

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
dick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,110Gear list
Like?

shu246 wrote:

Using WinXP and Win7. The customary Rt-click menu to "Open with", "Chose default Program", etc. is not available. The camera software gets between the computer and the memory card. The choices Windows shows are only what the camera wants to show.

My Windows 7 works exactly as I outlined.

I never connect my camera to my computer. If some virus or other bad thing corrupts your camera firmware you could have serious problems.

I use a card reader. It's very simple and I even change cards in the middle of the night. When I am leaving a fire or other incident, I open the trunk, take a spare card out of my pocket and change it right there. Then I'm ready for the next fire.

Fuji has decided where to put your pictures on the computer and how you can look at them."

Windows 7 does much the same with their %&^#$ libraries. I just ignore them and sort things out the way I want them.

dick's gear list:dick's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Fujifilm X-S1
patchotoole
Regular MemberPosts: 483
Like?

shu246 wrote:

Had a bad feeling about this when I read in the Owner's Manual something like "Just connect your camera to the computer with the USB cable, and the camera will do the rest. Fuji has decided where to put your pictures on the computer and how you can look at them."

I'll use a directory sync program to mirror the camera memory chip to a directory on the computer hard drive. Shouldn't take much time just to transfer in any new pictures. Once the pictures are in the computer I'll be able to view and work them as I wish.

-shu

I think you are anthropomorphising things a bit here. You sound pretty peeved.

It is windows that decides what to open when you connect any device on it. And windows that decides what program to use when opening a filetype. Not the camera software. I'm sure you said you hadn't installed it given your bad feelings about it.

So I think you need to change the autoplay settings so when you connect the camera via USB the correct program launches. On Win7 go to control panel, show all of the control panel settings and go to autoplay settings. You haven't said what the 'primitive' viewer is but see if you can see it listed here. And change it if so. At the very least set it so it doesn't launch anything until you figure out which program you want to launch. And make sure that you have right file associations as Dick said.

If none of that works, do as already mentioned, get some screen grabs and let's see what is happening.

shu246
Like?
In reply to patchotoole, Dec 12, 2013

Thanks. Working with the "autoplay" cleaned things up a bit.

In the screen-shots below I have connected to a WinXP computer by USB:
..Sony digital pocket recorder, with extra SD memory chip;
..XD memory chip from Fujifilm E550, in a card reader
..Fujifilm X10 camera

The XD card shows as removable memory, drive (G:). Windows Explorer expands the directory structure found on the chip. Context Menu (right-mouse-mash) for the "100_FUJI" directory shows a generous assortment of actions to take.

Likewise, Context Menu for the individual .jpg files shows a full range of possible actions.

In contrast, the X10 camera shows as a "device" rather than a removable memory. There is no Drive Letter assigned. Context Menu shows a very limited choice of actions. Windows Explorer expands the X10 device to show pictures on the SD card, without showing the card itself.

(IIRC the intervening card *was* shown in Windows Explorer's Directory Tree expansion until I adjusted the "Autoplay" choice to be "take no action." None of the three choices available for Autoplay are useful: a program for catalogging scanned business cards, and two other scanner associated programs.)

Likewise, the Context Menu choices for individual files on the X10 camera are few, and not particularly useful.

FWIW I did load the Fuji provided software on a Win7 laptop, just to check it out. The action to transfer pictures to computer put them in "My Pictures" (a place I never use for any purpose), in a subdirectory labled with the date, and thoughtfully assigned a different number to each file from the number assigned in the camera.

For a couple of decades we owned and operated a photocopier dealership. I understand that products are designed for the 95th percentile customer. Many products include "features" in which the customer will find no "benefit."

Once the hardware is developed, the software to make it do a lot of fantastic things does not add much incrementally to the total production cost. So in selling those copiers, if a capability of the machine was not one that the customer was likely to use, best leave it unsaid rather than have to explain why it was not costing him much to have it there.

The problem comes when a "feature" that was designed as a "benefit" for the 95th percentile customer turns out to be a "bug" for the odd 5 percent. (Sir, if you don't like the white-wall tires we can special order you some black-walls, but it's cheaper just to buy these and mount them with the white-walls inside.)

I can live with that. Cheers, and Thank You.
-Shu

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 13,764Gear list
Like?

Check the camera settings to make sure it presents itself to windows as a 'Mass Storage Device', it will then be assigned a drive letter.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 900Gear list
Like?

Looks like you are getting things under control

If you click on 'Start' and then click on 'Devices and Printers' in the right hand panel I suspect you will see an icon for your X10 camera there.

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,694
Like?
In reply to shu246, Dec 13, 2013

shu246 wrote:

Thanks. Working with the "autoplay" cleaned things up a bit.

The problem is that Fuji stopped letting users determine what type of device their cameras would present to Windows many years ago. One of my 9 year old Fuji cameras had three USB mode options in the menu, DSC (mass storage), Web Cam and Pictbridge (for printing directly from the camera). The next version of the camera dropped web cam support, and the model after that dropped mass storage mode, which is the mode that presents the memory card to the computer as a logical disk drive that has an associated drive letter. Instead, it got PTP/MPT support which automatically recognizes whether the camera is connected to a computer or a printer. But instead of presenting the entire card to the computer, it only lets the computer see what's contained within the DCIM folder, and if I'm not mistaken, only allows file transfers from the camera to the computer. I could be wrong about this since I use card readers at least 99.999% of the time.

So if you want to access the entire memory card, I don't think that you'll be able to do it with the X10. You'll have to remove the card from the X10 and either put it into a card reader or put it into another camera that still supports DSC Mass Storage mode. I just put my X10's card into a recent Ricoh camera, connected the camera to the computer's USB port, and the computer immediately saw the entire X10 memory card.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads