internet speed puzzle

Started 7 months ago | Questions
peter
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
internet speed puzzle
7 months ago

Hi,

I noticed that my main computer seemed to be very slow in accessing the internet so decided to carry out some checks.

I am running Win 7 Pro and my computer uses a cable connection via the house wiring. Normally I would expect a speed of around 5mbps but today it hovered around the 1 mark.

Using my laptop I checked the speed [wifi] and obtained a reading of just over 4 mbps.

This seems to suggest that the router is functioning OK.

Any thoughts on where to start checking?

Many thanks,

Peter

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663Gear list
Like?
Re: internet speed puzzle
In reply to peter, 7 months ago

Peter, the first thing I would try is to reboot the computer (and probably also the router and powerline network).  It's amazing how many problems are solved merely by rebooting the computer.  If that doesn't solve the problem, go into Device Manager and make sure that the driver for the ethernet adapter is OK.  Next would be to try plugging the computer directly into the router, bypassing the powerline network.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,098Gear list
Like?
Is this DSL? (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter
PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
BSell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747
Like?

Crazy as it may seem, have you updated your browser recently?  When I moved into the new house, my laptop showed a very ragged download via speedtest.net.  Cable guys said his stuff was good to go and left.

After updating Chrome and updating the router's firmware, the very ragged and slow internet speeds jumped up drastically and smoothed out to a very consistent speed, both down and up.

Can't verify the culprit, either Chrome or the Netgear router needed an update to 'play nice' with the Comcast cable internet.  Didn't matter which one did the trick as long as I got what I was paying for...

More on the powerline adaptor, you are plugged right into the wall; no surge protectors between the units?  Both outlets on the same circuit box?  I've had good success with the powerline adaptors on the same circuit box.  They were a life-saver in the situation and provided more than adequate through-put for my needs.  Much more speed and stability in the very dense housing at the time which the wi-fi couldn't punch through...

dad_of_four
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,326Gear list
Like?

Step One is to eliminate as many variables as possible.

Can you disable the Laptop WiFi and then plug the Laptop into the Cable Connection via the house wiring?

• If the speed of the laptop drops to 1mbps, then its your house wiring.
  • If the speed remains the same, its the Win7 Pro
 dad_of_four's gear list:dad_of_four's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
Pictus
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,590
Like?
digitalshooter
Like?
step one is knowing what he has and what he is paying for. (nt)
In reply to dad_of_four, 7 months ago
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?

First go to Speedtest.net site and run some tests. The closest server to you should produce your speed you are paying for or more. One across the country could be slower especially on Ping speed.
If you get good speed but everything still seems sluggish try another test.

Run-CMD and Ping some site far away like www.Microsoft.com

c:\Ping www.microsoft.com

It might still not be a good test if you are with ATT because everything is being blocked by their CO.

Next soft reboot your router and modem by unplugging them both. Next, plug back the router and let it boot completely for a few minutes. After, plug the modem and see if your speed improves.

If not call your ISP. Sometimes line is not clear or damaged. I had my line damaged several times by squirrels.

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,954
Like?
Re: internet speed ATT.Net
In reply to SushiEater, 7 months ago

Current so called pro speed?????   DTW, Mi.

ping  37

Dwnl  3.84

upld   0.98

faster than turtle running backwards.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

dad_of_four
Like?
Re: step one is knowing what he has and what he is paying for. (nt)
In reply to digitalshooter, 7 months ago

digitalshooter wrote:

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

Any chance you could explain what you mean?
The OP already stated he was getting over 4mbps on his wi-fi, and he expects about 5
So he knows what he has, and what he is paying for?

Nikon D70 Nikon D2Xs Nikon D700 Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +10 more
digitalshooter
Like?
What package is he paying for from his provider. ATT sold me 6 but

I only get 5.

We need to know what it should be per his contract.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

dad_of_four
Like?
Re: What package is he paying for from his provider. ATT sold me 6 but

digitalshooter wrote:

I only get 5.

We need to know what it should be per his contract.

The OP said "Normally I would expect a speed of around 5mbps "
But OK, let's say his contract says it should be 10.  Now how does he diagnose his slow Desktop speed?

peter
Like?
In reply to ABA DABA, 7 months ago

Hi,

Many thanks for the replies.

I have unlimited broadband and the usual speed is in the region of 5-6 mbps. Obviously this can vary according to the overall usage on the network at various times of the day.

Unfortunately I cannot move my PC and modem together hence the use of powerline connectors but I do have access to a couple of laptops and an Ipad.

I have tried the following:

Direct cabled connection to a laptop from the modem ...result a reading of below 1mbps

Wireless connection modem to laptop... result a reading in the region of 5mbps

Results for XP and Win 7 are similar[laptops one of each].

I have also tried different cables with no difference in the results

I have just run a speed check and obtained a ping of 43 and a download speed of 1.73 on my PC via the powerline setup.

The modem seems to produce the speed that I would expect on WiFi but a slow result with a direct or powerline connection.

Is it possible that the modem is the problem?

Peter

dad_of_four
Like?

Since the Laptop slows down on the powerline connector, you can eliminate your Main computer as the problem

Since the Laptop also slows down on direct Modem connection, you can probably eliminate the powerline connection as the problem.

That leaves the direct modem connection. I assume you have already powered off/on the modem?

Is this a modem that you "rent" from the cable company?  If so, call the cable company, ask to be transferred to the Internet technical support.  They often can run a diagnostic test on the modem.  They may very well just send you a new modem.

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,663Gear list
Like?

This is very strange.  The modem is the first item in the chain, followed by the router.  For the wireless connection to be giving good speed, the modem has to be good since it is before the wireless router.

Do you have a separate modem and wireless router or is it a "gateway" (combination modem/router in one box)?  Have you tried rebooting (power cycling) everything?

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
SushiEater
Senior MemberPosts: 1,566Gear list
Like?

So what you are saying is that wireless you get good speed but direct connection to the same modem you get low speed? In that case it is your modem. Is it all in one modem i.e. modem, router together?

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +9 more
digitalshooter
Like?
"normally" does not tell us what he is paying for! (nT)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

digitalshooter
Like?
again what do you have and pay for?

again, if you have DSL and the 6 meg package, call them and tell them.  My services went to garbage, appears that a tech moved my line down in a box somewhere.  They had to rebuild account online and all was back to normal.

DId your contract expire for a temp higher speed?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Digitalshooter

dad_of_four
Like?
Re: again what do you have and pay for?

digitalshooter wrote:

again, if you have DSL and the 6 meg package, call them and tell them. My services went to garbage, appears that a tech moved my line down in a box somewhere. They had to rebuild account online and all was back to normal.

DId your contract expire for a temp higher speed

Not trying to be rude, but did you carefully read the OP message?
He has the speed he normally gets when using his laptop over Wi-Fi in his house.
It's only when he connects directly (via LAN) to the modem that his speed suffers.

peter
Like?
Re: again what do you have and pay for?

Hi,

I have come to the conclusion that it must be the modem/router[one box]. If my broadband supplier was trying to disrupt my connection then the wifi connection would be poor too. I have tried turning everything off and rebooting and I have tried different powerline units all without any improvement.

The broadband supplier is always trying to get me to update to another package but that is only because I do not pay for broadband. When I originally signed up they were offering free  for life broadband now of course all the packages that they offer require payment. However as I said earlier wifi is as expected and I don't see how they could interfere with the LAN connection only.

Many thanks for all the advice I have been offered. It has prompted me to look at all aspects.

Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads