X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Cbbyosoy
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
4 months ago

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

If you can wait a few months you might see a price drop on the X-E2. I did not want to wait because I want to use it during the holidays, but there are several key improvements in the X-E2 that were worth the price difference to me. You will find those differences in nearly all the major reviews of the X-E2, and I think you will have the info you need for a decision.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

I bought the X-E1.  12 months from now, the X-E2 will likely be selling for $600 body only and $900 + kit lens just like the X-E1.

It was an easy decision for me because I have DSLR I can use when I need more focus speed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

The X-E1 was not fast/responsive enough (EVF, AF speed) for me to ditch my 5DII.  The X-E2 was.  You need to try both and decide.  Image quality will be the same between all 3 of those cameras (stunning.)

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spud0
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

I just picked up the x-e1 - I'm a fan of late adopting. Let the prices drop(a lot) and the bugs get worked out(firmware updates). Its not like the worlds going to end if you don't get the "latest and greatest". You already have perfectly good cameras and you just want the luxury of having another one that is more appropriate for carrying around.

Grab an x-e1 with kit lens and just upgrade to the x-e2 body when the x-e3(or whatever0 comes out and all the gear whores are tripping over themselves to sell the older model they used 5 times for half of what they paid. 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Spud0, 4 months ago

Spud0 wrote:

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

I just picked up the x-e1 - I'm a fan of late adopting. Let the prices drop(a lot) and the bugs get worked out(firmware updates). Its not like the worlds going to end if you don't get the "latest and greatest". You already have perfectly good cameras and you just want the luxury of having another one that is more appropriate for carrying around.

Grab an x-e1 with kit lens and just upgrade to the x-e2 body when the x-e3(or whatever0 comes out and all the gear whores are tripping over themselves to sell the older model they used 5 times for half of what they paid.

Really not a great deal of difference, I just posted a link to a video comparing the AF on another thread which may help you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFUChl0YDz4

  • Buffer is better if you do continuous shooting
  • Video slightly better specs, though still not really great.
  • EVF definitely better
  • Wifi (pointless feature as it stands)

On the flipside for the X-E1 you'll have better JPEGs & skin if you shoot people (X-E2 softens skin whether you like it or not) and currently better results in Lightroom.

If money is no object I'd get the E2 otherwise you can get the same quality (if not actually better in my mind) in a slightly slower functioning body for a lot, lot less. Perhaps giving you the option of a better upgrade path if the new rumoured X announced next month takes your fancy because you will not lose as much by being an early adopter.

You can spend the extra 450€ on a new lens too

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Spud0
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to stimpy, 4 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

I just picked up the x-e1 - I'm a fan of late adopting. Let the prices drop(a lot) and the bugs get worked out(firmware updates). Its not like the worlds going to end if you don't get the "latest and greatest". You already have perfectly good cameras and you just want the luxury of having another one that is more appropriate for carrying around.

Grab an x-e1 with kit lens and just upgrade to the x-e2 body when the x-e3(or whatever0 comes out and all the gear whores are tripping over themselves to sell the older model they used 5 times for half of what they paid.

Really not a great deal of difference, I just posted a link to a video comparing the AF on another thread which may help you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFUChl0YDz4

Buffer is better if you do continuous shooting

Video slightly better specs, though still not really great.

EVF definitely better

Wifi (pointless feature as it stands)

If money is no object I'd get the E2 otherwise not you can get the same quality in a slightly slower functioning body for a lot, lot less. Perhaps giving you the option of a better upgrade path if the new rumoured X announced next month takes your fancy because you will not lose as much by being an early adopter.

Thanks for the video comparison. Really shows how over stated x-e1 AF issues have been at times.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Spud0, 4 months ago

Spud0 wrote:

stimpy wrote:

Spud0 wrote:

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

I just picked up the x-e1 - I'm a fan of late adopting. Let the prices drop(a lot) and the bugs get worked out(firmware updates). Its not like the worlds going to end if you don't get the "latest and greatest". You already have perfectly good cameras and you just want the luxury of having another one that is more appropriate for carrying around.

Grab an x-e1 with kit lens and just upgrade to the x-e2 body when the x-e3(or whatever0 comes out and all the gear whores are tripping over themselves to sell the older model they used 5 times for half of what they paid.

Really not a great deal of difference, I just posted a link to a video comparing the AF on another thread which may help you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFUChl0YDz4

Buffer is better if you do continuous shooting

Video slightly better specs, though still not really great.

EVF definitely better

Wifi (pointless feature as it stands)

If money is no object I'd get the E2 otherwise not you can get the same quality in a slightly slower functioning body for a lot, lot less. Perhaps giving you the option of a better upgrade path if the new rumoured X announced next month takes your fancy because you will not lose as much by being an early adopter.

Thanks for the video comparison. Really shows how over stated x-e1 AF issues have been at times.

Yeah, that this is indoors in somewhat poor light as well. Outside is even faster. Plus you have manual focusing with focus peeking on X-E1.

To a lot of guys the focus speed isn't worth £450 extra.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gerard boulanger
Senior MemberPosts: 2,250Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

Fuji X-Pro1 at 1,070 Euros is for body only...

 gerard boulanger's gear list:gerard boulanger's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,033Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to stimpy, 4 months ago

Ten days ago I received my Fuji XE1. Since I live in Oaxaca, Mexico, the photographic center of the Zapotec world, I was not able to personally compare the Fuji XE1 and XE2. I wasn't even able to see either one. I had to read reviews, forum posts, and dither.

My Pentax DSLR was getting heavy and the button for changing lenses had fallen off. I can change lenses with a paper clip but Pentax refused to send me a new button and instructions. Sending the camera to the U.S. wasn't safe or practical.

So, I was hunting. Since I wasn't even sure I'd like a mirrorless system I went cheaper and got the Fuji XE1. I absolutely have to have an eyepiece and while the EVF is a poor substitute for the DSLR optical viewfinder it's not too bad once you get the hang of it.

I have been very pleasantly surprised. While I waited for my international bank transfer to complete and the camera to be shipped I read the User's Manual for the XE1. I thought I was ready.

Focusing. I'm still fiddling but it's much better than I expected. For me, it's a little better than my first DSLR. I'm older than some of the rocks you see where you live and with focus peaking I can manual focus. It's not bad. I can focus quite well outside in the sunshine and him my apartment with the AF properly adjusted for me.

Right now I'm going to opposite of most advice. When my focus area is the largest possible, which is what most seem to recommend, I am often out of focus with something in the background sharp as a tack. So, I have a smaller focus area. In my bedroom, curtain drawn, the XE1 will autofocus fine on almost anything. It will not autofocus on the bare wall.

I love setting the f/stop with the ring on the lens. I like the exp. comp, dial on the top of the camera. I shoot usually in Aperture Priority with shutter speed setting automatically. I've even been enjoying manual focusing with the focus peaking. For me, just for me, the Fuji XE1 has all the pluses I remember from 50 years ago with the nice advantages of the new age like setting the ISO instead of changing film and the zoom lenses. Sure, when I was twenty zooming with my feet was much more doable.

For me, the XE1 is just fine. I'll same the money for a 14mm lens or maybe the 35mm. Or, perhaps I'll save it to start towards a Fuji XE3.

Sadly, the XE1, XE2, and X Pro 1 are all nice cameras and the choice is yours. Whatever your choice is, I hope you're as happy as I am.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to gerard boulanger, 4 months ago

gerard boulanger wrote:

Cbbyosoy wrote:

I have a Canon EOS 30D and a 40D that I use for work (motor sport photography), but I wanted a lighter camera to carry with me basically everywhere I go.
I'm looking to buy either the X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1, but I'm finding it really hard to decide for one. The reason is the price. I can get the X-E1 with the kit lens for 750€, the X-Pro1 for 1,070€, and the X-E2 for 1,200€. 450€ between the X-E1 and the X-E2 is no joke.

Fuji X-Pro1 at 1,070 Euros is for body only...

Amazon uk you can get the X-Pro1 + 18mm lens for £950 plus a free lens of your choice (60 35 or 27), plus £50 credit with amazon.

When you consider

18mm is £429
35mm is £429
+ £50 credit

= £908

You are essentially getting the X-Pro1 for £42

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Halwick
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to stimpy, 4 months ago

Based on your youtube clip demonstration AF, seems not much significant difference between XE-2 and XE-1.

How is the AF in low light situations?  XE-2 better than XE-1 or X-Pro1?

I also have Canon FD mount legecy lenses that I'd like to use.

Which camera works best with manual focus legecy lenses?

I read the XE-2 has a split image manual focus feature that the XE-1 does not.   Is this feature worth getting the XE-2 over the XE-1?

Comments appreciated.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,219Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Halwick, 4 months ago

Halwick wrote:

Based on your youtube clip demonstration AF, seems not much significant difference between XE-2 and XE-1.

How is the AF in low light situations? XE-2 better than XE-1 or X-Pro1?

Not really.  It's better mainly in good light when the Phase Autofocus kicks in.  It's also quite a bit better in Continuous Auto-Focus, which operates differently (improved) on the E2.

I also have Canon FD mount legecy lenses that I'd like to use.

Which camera works best with manual focus legecy lenses?

Either will be fine.

I read the XE-2 has a split image manual focus feature that the XE-1 does not. Is this feature worth getting the XE-2 over the XE-1?

No.  They both do focus peaking, which I prefer to the split image manual focus.

Comments appreciated.

 bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,253Gear list
Like?
*Decide Soon Fuji X instant rebates end shortly.
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

You should only own as many cameras as you have hands and be able to be both a left and right eye shooter.

These cameras are great. If you have a concept of photography even better. These cameras do not have built in programs like 99% of every other camera out there so no relying on firework program to do the job etc.

You also will take the most advantage of these cameras by shooting manually when it comes to ISO and you selecting where the camera autofocuses. The Dynamic Range setting of these cameras is a menu setting, but not setting to Auto helps. All this is my opinion, but I think it is better with Fuji X products.

I can to this conclusion with the Fuji X20 as my first Fuji then did that with the XE-1.

Anyway,

Buy the XE-2 its the current camera. At the same time the firmware updates to the XE-1 are great. Their are a few things the XE-2 does now with no FW updates planned that make the experience a bit nicer, but do not effect the final photo if i recall correctly.

The Xpro is close to what the XE-1 is with a different type of viewfinder set up, but the resolution I think it better with the XE-1 to Xpro comparison.

I also find you need the hand grip to make the Fuji X cameras easier to hold and reduce shooting fatigue. I can not see myself not using the Really Right Stuff grip and baseplate Especially with the Fuji 55-200, big lens vs the body with out the grip.

The Fuji grip does not keep access to the battery or card like Really Right Stuff was and that was the decided deal breaker for me going with RRS.

These are all great cameras. You have to decide.

*Now is the time because rebates end in Dec 24 I think. SO selling your DSLR gear can pretty much get you an even exchange to get into the Fuji X system with a few lenses.

 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deardorff
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

I had an X-E1 and it was very nice. Just too darned small for me to use comfortably. I got an X-Pro1 and it is just fine.

Both take very good images and if anything the X-E2 is even better.

How it handles in hand is something to think about. I'm not located near any cameras shops - an 8+ hour drive to get to one that would have Fuji gear. So I bought knowing I could sell without taking a loss if I didn't like the X-E1. Everything about the image quality was fine - just the size made for an uncomfortable camera for me in use.

For info I am very comfortable with Canon 1D series bodies which I use a lot in my work and the Fuji X-pro1 is a nice addition as well as a nice change while feeling comfortable in use.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,134Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Cbbyosoy, 4 months ago

get the xp1, its still on offer till january. i wouldnt bother with the x-e2, its crap at jpegs, cant handle high iso, and isnt even as good as the x-e1, it looks like all the x-e2 prophets didnt quite get this one right, some are even returning them.

just read all the threads that are moaning about the x-e2 already.

best

pc

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography
also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

 meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to meagre offerings, 4 months ago

meagre offerings wrote:

get the xp1, its still on offer till january. i wouldnt bother with the x-e2, its crap at jpegs, cant handle high iso, and isnt even as good as the x-e1, it looks like all the x-e2 prophets didnt quite get this one right, some are even returning them.

just read all the threads that are moaning about the x-e2 already.

best

pc

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography
also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

Rubbish.  I could have bought either and I bought the X-E2.  You evidently don't know how to change JPEG defaults.  The only moaning about the X-E2 is from those that don't own one and are for some reason threatened by it.

And who are the X-E2 prophets??  A new super hero movie?

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,134Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

meagre offerings wrote:

get the xp1, its still on offer till january. i wouldnt bother with the x-e2, its crap at jpegs, cant handle high iso, and isnt even as good as the x-e1, it looks like all the x-e2 prophets didnt quite get this one right, some are even returning them.

just read all the threads that are moaning about the x-e2 already.

best

pc

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography
also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

Rubbish. I could have bought either and I bought the X-E2. You evidently don't know how to change JPEG defaults. The only moaning about the X-E2 is from those that don't own one and are for some reason threatened by it.

And who are the X-E2 prophets?? A new super hero movie?

Sal

thats strange, the glut of threads posted by unhappy x-e2 owners (theres the clue, owners!!!!) would suggest that they actually do own that particular model and are not very happy with what the camera is delivering .

im just pleased i went for the xp1.

best

pc

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography
also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

 meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to meagre offerings, 4 months ago

meagre offerings wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

meagre offerings wrote:

get the xp1, its still on offer till january. i wouldnt bother with the x-e2, its crap at jpegs, cant handle high iso, and isnt even as good as the x-e1, it looks like all the x-e2 prophets didnt quite get this one right, some are even returning them.

just read all the threads that are moaning about the x-e2 already.

best

pc

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography
also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

Rubbish. I could have bought either and I bought the X-E2. You evidently don't know how to change JPEG defaults. The only moaning about the X-E2 is from those that don't own one and are for some reason threatened by it.

And who are the X-E2 prophets?? A new super hero movie?

Sal

thats strange, the glut of threads posted by unhappy x-e2 owners (theres the clue, owners!!!!) would suggest that they actually do own that particular model and are not very happy with what the camera is delivering .

im just pleased i went for the xp1.

best

pc

-- hide signature --

http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography
also a proud member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

Please provide some links to the glut of X-E2 owners that are not very happy. And I'm not talking about the Internet people who all "say" they used to own the cameras in question.

Do you actually own an X-E2?  I do, it's an excellent camera.

Thanks.

Sal

 Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1, X-E2, or X-Pro1?
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

Please provide some links to the glut of X-E2 owners that are not very happy. And I'm not talking about the Internet people who all "say" they used to own the cameras in question.

That's really strange, you are expecting others to do your own research for you. You've done this to me in another thread .. expected me to spend time collecting information for you and presenting it back to you.

Here is a polite suggestion for you - do your own research and come to your own conclusions. This is what I and others have done, you should think about doing the same.

I believe the X-E1 is sharper than the X-E2 due to the extra elements in front of the X-E2's photosites that the light has to pass through which the X-E1 doesn't have. And reports are appearing from X-E2 owners that tell the X-E2 does not render colors (especially skin tones) as good as the X-E1. Skin tones on the X-E1 is classic Fuji (utterly superb).

The X-E2 is a great camera, but I for one am extremely pleased I've got an X-E1 and did not upgrade to the X-E2. For me the X-E1 is the better camera of the two and a very good buy - but that's only my opinion.

 BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads