The reasons I bought the NEX 6

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
rodderslw
Regular MemberPosts: 187Gear list
Like?
The reasons I bought the NEX 6
Dec 11, 2013

Just came back from a fishing trip to Perth, Australia. Very happy with my NEX 6. It fits my needs for decent IQ in a small package with an EVF. Given all the fishing equipment I can't take lots of camera gear. The following travel kit suited my needs perfectly:

* NEX6

* PZ 16-50 - great travel compact zoom especially for daytime use

* SEL35f18 - for better image quality, low light and shallow depth of field

* Polerising filter

* spare battery (I never ran out during a day) spare SD cards, lenspen, cloth and remote.

* Ultrapod (small tripod) I never used it this trip.

* All (except for ultra pod) fits into the small Lowpro Streamline 100 bag…brilliant! And all goes into the carry on luggage and then the fishing bag when on the boat.

Down side: I put the camera in auto mode and pop up the flash to hand to friends so they can take a picture but the fill flash did not cope well with the strong light and the shaded faces. Maybe spot metering in A mode woule be better?

Constructive comments/critique welcome on the pix

Did not use the lens correction here because I like the curve of the horizon.

Most processed in Lightroom.

rodderslw's gear list:rodderslw's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony a6000 +3 more
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sidebyside
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: The reasons I bought the NEX 6
In reply to rodderslw, Dec 11, 2013

You got some good shots there rodderslw.  It also looks like you had a good day of fishing.  Good going.

There's been lots of positive feedback on the nex 6 here lately.  I think that's a good thing because this is an e-mount forum - both FF and APS-C should be able to share the same space and our love of photography.

Andy

sidebyside's gear list:sidebyside's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlexBakerPhotoz
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

I'm a full frame Nikon guy, but wanted a pocket sized camera with at least an APS-C size sensor and after lots of research and holding lots of cameras, I also decided on a Nex-6 and I'm glad I did. I also got a Fotodiox Pro adapter that allows me to use all my Nikon lenses manually if I want to.  Nex-6 - in the pocket!

-- hide signature --
 AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list:AlexBakerPhotoz's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D600 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +15 more
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,227
Like?

Experiment a little with the built in flash as a fill flash. In bright sunlight you'll probably have to increase the flash intensity. You can increase it up to +2 EVF, which is often (not always) enough.

You may want to experiment with decreasing the EV of your basic exposure at the same time you increase the EV of the flash. Play around with different settings, before you go on your next boat trip. That way, you won't have to fiddle too much while you're on the boat.

If you have an external flash which is able to function as a slave flash, the built in flash can trigger your external flash. But first, experiment with increasing the intensity of the built in one.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

richard NO
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

Nice shots there, i really love the dog photo:) The Nex-6 should keep you company for a long while. Good choice with the 35mm F/1.8 OSS, it is really great and sharp.

-- hide signature --

Photography for me is not about recreating what i saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way i want to see the world
Cheers!
Richard Larssen http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberdogleg/
-------------------

richard NO's gear list:richard NO's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,644Gear list
Like?

Terrific work! You show off your ability and this camera very well indeed!

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Nikon 1 V2 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +6 more
rodderslw
Like?
In reply to bill hansen, Dec 11, 2013

bill hansen wrote:

Experiment a little with the built in flash as a fill flash. In bright sunlight you'll probably have to increase the flash intensity. You can increase it up to +2 EVF, which is often (not always) enough.

You may want to experiment with decreasing the EV of your basic exposure at the same time you increase the EV of the flash. Play around with different settings, before you go on your next boat trip. That way, you won't have to fiddle too much while you're on the boat.

If you have an external flash which is able to function as a slave flash, the built in flash can trigger your external flash. But first, experiment with increasing the intensity of the built in one.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Cheers Bill, appreciate the feedback.Yes I will try upping the flash power and decreasing the EV. I will check if this can be done in auto mode because when fishing I often need to hand the camera to friends so auto mode is handy. A slave flash (which I have) is not an option in this case.

In ref to the other comments about praise for the NEX6 I admit I posted in part because I felt there needed to be some balance to all the FF hype. I think APSC has a lot of further potential to acheive high IQ in a small format. At the same time I don't want to fall into the consumer trap of buying a new camera system every year. In fact I was relativley happy with my C3 until it was stolen.

Regards,

Rodney

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,598Gear list
Like?

"Down side: I put the camera in auto mode and pop up the flash to hand to friends so they can take a picture but the fill flash did not cope well with the strong light and the shaded faces. Maybe spot metering in A mode woule be better?"

I wonder if using HDR would help with the shadowed areas?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Dec 11, 2013

captura wrote:

"Down side: I put the camera in auto mode and pop up the flash to hand to friends so they can take a picture but the fill flash did not cope well with the strong light and the shaded faces. Maybe spot metering in A mode woule be better?"

It would, but it's not a good idea to use that mode when giving to friends, as it needs to be held still for 3 photos.

Be sure DRO is turned on. It will brighten shadows. Otherwise, try RAW and have more leeway in making adjustments.

Normally, the built in flash works well for fill for me, but maybe it's too bright on the water like that?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
imarollingstone
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,624Gear list
Like?
In reply to rodderslw, Dec 12, 2013

I agree, the NEX-6 is a great compromise.  With the 16-50 it's compact with decent range.  Having a viewfinder in bright light is a real plus.  I  didn't realize it until after I purchased the camera that is has some really nice advanced features like AF adjust, Rear Sync and can fire flashes wirelessly.

It also can work as a backup to my SLRs with LEA2 adapter helping to reduce the load when I want to carry a more serious camera.

-- hide signature --

Shawn

imarollingstone's gear list:imarollingstone's gear list
Sony RX100 II Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 +21 more
BEARMYLOVE
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?

What a handsome dog. Is it a boy or girl? I have a female German Shepherd .

Jesper Frickmann
Regular MemberPosts: 358Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Dec 12, 2013

As for the fill in flash, it does not work well on bright days, because shutter speed is limited to 1/160 with flash. I normally shoot in A mode, and I got some completely overexposed pictures until I figured out what was going on.
I bought the camera after reading this review: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-alpha-nex-6/4505-6501_7-35437771.html
I agree with everything that Lori Grunin said about this camera. I am very happy with it.

Jesper Frickmann's gear list:Jesper Frickmann's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
captura
Like?
In reply to GaryW, Dec 12, 2013

GaryW wrote:

captura wrote:

It would, but it's not a good idea to use that mode when giving to friends, as it needs to be held still for 3 photos.

Be sure DRO is turned on. It will brighten shadows. Otherwise, try RAW and have more leeway in making adjustments.

Normally, the built in flash works well for fill for me, but maybe it's too bright on the water like that?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Never had problems with using it. The 3+ photos happen quickly and the camera seems to compensate for the slight movement in between. You are right about trying DRO.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jesper Frickmann, Dec 12, 2013

Jesper Frickmann wrote:

As for the fill in flash, it does not work well on bright days, because shutter speed is limited to 1/160 with flash. I normally shoot in A mode, and I got some completely overexposed pictures until I figured out what was going on.
I bought the camera after reading this review: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/sony-alpha-nex-6/4505-6501_7-35437771.html
I agree with everything that Lori Grunin said about this camera. I am very happy with it.

I would like to invest in a 49mm ND filter for these occasions. If I were to buy just one ND filter, what would be the recommendation as far as numbering goes for the top photo posted by the OP and using a flash as fill in?

BTW - Very nice photos, OP.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
captura
Like?
In reply to Jesper Frickmann, Dec 12, 2013

Jesper Frickmann wrote:

Living in cold dark Canada I have not much need for an N.D. filter but perhaps in your case, where it is so bright? I don't know, but if you are shooting at F11 or higher that can create it's own set of problems.

nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,003Gear list
Like?

10 out of 10 for the big smile you put on my face

Excellent shots and good humour as well in these IMO. That is a FISH !! Nice catch. The second shot is timing at its best, that brings a smile and tells a story at the same time. Nice work. The doggy, well we love love it here, beautiful shot.

All the best and great to see thanks.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
 nzmacro's gear list:nzmacro's gear list
Sony Mavica CD1000 +10 more
rodderslw
Like?
In reply to captura, Dec 12, 2013

captura wrote:

Jesper Frickmann wrote:

Living in cold dark Canada I have not much need for an N.D. filter but perhaps in your case, where it is so bright? I don't know, but if you are shooting at F11 or higher that can create it's own set of problems.

Thanks to all for the comments. I have an 8stop ND filter but did not take it on this trip and anyway I tend to use a polerizing filter when on a boat. The Aussie sun is pretty harsh so I think the 1/160 shutter speed has somthing to do with it. I'll keep trying a few different things.

The dogs name is Randy and he's quite a character and photogenic I think. I used the SEL35f18 for this shot, indoors with some late afternoon light. I think I can see the difference in quality between this lens and the pancake zoom…but both are handy!

For the fishermen out there those fish are Samson fish and they are brutal. We were jigging for them in 100m of water over some wrecks and getting them to the boat was PAINFUL with about 12kg of drag. I could not lift my arms higher than my shoulders after that session. A nice pain.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,253Gear list
Like?

I went back and looked at the EXIF and the shutter speed is 1/160 or less!  So, flash should have worked, unless it just wasn't strong enough.  ???

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,838Gear list
Like?
In reply to rodderslw, Dec 13, 2013

Nice fishing shots! Gotta love a big slippery fish.

As to your flash not working, it is likely due to lack of power not the metering mode. Shooting at f8-f11 ISO 100 is too much for a tiny flash.  You would be better off with a full sized flash.  My Nikon sb800 can do f11 light to 9 feet full power and that is a GN 125 ISO 100 flash.  That tiny GN 18 iso100 flash just can not compete with the sun. It Is the right idea, but underpowered.  Is it worth getting a full sized flash for outdoor use?  YES!  But that means batteries and a bit more stuff!

Nice fish!  Nice dog!

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads