Df : Massive price hike in UK

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498Gear list
Like?
Df : Massive price hike in UK
10 months ago

Not sure if something like this has already been posted but here goes. I suppose if I lived in USA I wouldn't have to put my mom on the market to be able to afford one.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-news/540193/nikon-defends-uk-price-of-new-df-dslr
--
They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Re: Df : Massive price hike in UK
In reply to starman1969, 10 months ago

Not a lot of change then

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Andy Cam
Regular MemberPosts: 284
Like?
In reply to romfordbluenose, 10 months ago

John Walshe told Amateur Photographer: ‘Many factors influence the final price of products in the UK - this includes but is not limited to tax, tariff, exchange rates* and logistics.'

*In other words "You whiney limey b$^*ds aren't stupid enough to splash out $1000s on a camera and NOT complain when it develops a manufacturing fault"

Charmed. Go f^(K yourselves Nikon!

Skatterball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022
Like?

Not sure if I buy his response but having said that, I am glad I'm in Canada where the Df is about the same price as the U.S.

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,505Gear list
Like?

The only excuse he gave that made sense was logistics. Tax was taken into account in the price comparison as was exchange rate. Tbh I don't know what he meant by tariff. I can definitely see however that it is considerably more challenging to ship something from Japan to the UK than it is to the USA. Not sure it's £700 per unit more difficult though.

JWReagan
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

So it's about 2,290 before VAT, compared to the 1,866 here in the states. The 425 or so probably comes down the importation costs along with taxes or duties. The US charges zero to manufacturers for importing their goods, I think that is the main reason for cost differences between the US and European countries.

JWReagan's gear list:JWReagan's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D5100 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +8 more
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,498Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 10 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

The only excuse he gave that made sense was logistics. Tax was taken into account in the price comparison as was exchange rate. Tbh I don't know what he meant by tariff. I can definitely see however that it is considerably more challenging to ship something from Japan to the UK than it is to the USA. Not sure it's £700 per unit more difficult though.

How much is a flight to NY?

Maybe pick one up at the airport, stay for a long weekend of photography with the Df then come back. I'm not sure if a foreigner can claim back the sales tax at a US airport but a resident should, and that would be an even better deal for them.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Inars
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
In reply to JWReagan, 10 months ago

Yes, and how much copies country get + sellers profit. In my country optional Df price is 3270 euros. It's something D800E + 50/1.4 kit.

Inars's gear list:Inars's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?

starman1969 wrote:

How much is a flight to NY?

Maybe pick one up at the airport, stay for a long weekend of photography with the Df then come back. I'm not sure if a foreigner can claim back the sales tax at a US airport but a resident should, and that would be an even better deal for them.

nope and nope.

I was on the street by the Garden a couple years ago when some brits came up asking for directions to B&H. I replied, but it is Saturday. So what they said... They went apoplectic when I told them it was closed on Saturdays - flying out the next morning and had planned to buy big...

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,210Gear list
Like?

I am very sympathetic to anyone being asked to layout more.

But I must confess, before doing the math (vat/tax) I had thought there was a bigger gap than there is.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Hmm1000
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 10 months ago

No one has commented on what the Nikon rep says in his last paragraph. His point is that the street price is set by the retailers -- isn't it? Ie the shops know British buyers will pay inflated prices for the first three months or so, and then won't be that irritated when the price drops to a price comparable to the USA. This is what always seems to happen …

Hmm1000's gear list:Hmm1000's gear list
Nikon 1 V2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads