Nikon's answer to Canon's EOS M2.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Debankur Mukherjee
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Nikon's answer to Canon's EOS M2.
4 months ago

Dear All,

Canon's EOS M has been updated to EOS M2 and Canon did quiet a good job in the M series , it may have its own drawbacks which needs to be addressed but the size is really impressive. Will Nikon ever come out with a body like the EOS M series, it did the same with Coolpix A but with a fixed prime lens and I think its quiet overpriced.

Kindly discuss your ideas and suggestion / wish for a EOS M2 like Nikon body.

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

D.Mukherjee

Debankur Mukherjee's gear list:Debankur Mukherjee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
Re: Nikon's answer to Canon's EOS M2.
In reply to Debankur Mukherjee, 4 months ago

Why would they answer?  The EOS M is a dog.  If it wasn't being sold for $300 with a lens, it wouldn't sell.

I'm guessing the EOS M2 is a dog too, because Canon is not even bothering to sell it in most markets.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 3,505Gear list
Like?

The EOS M is probably the worst mirror less camera available.

Nikon would need to develop yet another new range of lenses if it went APSC ( short flange and mirror less) with a new camera.

I can't see this happening.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +5 more
Dr Wu
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Actually, I think it is Canon's decision to limit the M2 to certain markets which may be the more notable aspect of the M2 introduction.  As some have noted in other threads, Nikon 1 cameras, lenses and accessories appear to becoming harder to find and/or there appears to be a growing sense that retailers are administering stock very carefully.  Speaking personally, as much as I am watching the price of certain possible Nikon 1 purchases (e.g., lenses, FT-1), I am monitoring stock levels, possibly ready to 'pull the trigger' if the price is right or stock appears to be disappearing.

My point is this:  Nikon has explicitly indicated it is re-thinking the 1 series which has led to much speculation as to what that might mean exactly.  I do not know whether Canon has ever made a similar comment, but it may be that, in respect of these 2 companies, slowest to enter the mirrorless marketplace, will pick-and-choose where product is distributed and levels of distribution such that, for example, the North American market may be less well served, so to speak, with Nikon/Canon mirrorless product, than other markets such as Asia.

MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,208
Like?
In reply to dual12, 4 months ago

dual12 wrote:

Why would they answer? The EOS M is a dog. If it wasn't being sold for $300 with a lens, it wouldn't sell.

I'm guessing the EOS M2 is a dog too, because Canon is not even bothering to sell it in most markets.

On release the AF was aweful though it seemed to have improved close to some other alternatives(if not the 1 series) with firmware since then. In Japan it actually sold very well indeed getting Canon a good chunk of the mirrorless market in just a few months. What the Canon really does seem to have in its favour is excellent value for money when it comes to lenses.

The reality IMHO is simply that low end mirrorless in the west is a massive flop, some of the higher end bodies sell reasonably well but the smaller viewfinderless bodies are really only selling well in Japan(and perhaps elsewhere in the east).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads