X-E2 - another review and jpeg DR observations ...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Kq77
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
X-E2 - another review and jpeg DR observations ...
4 months ago

Hello,

In the latest X-E2 review - Tech Radar has shown poor results in jpeg dynamic range section.

The XE-2 results are the worst among competing camers, and what is the most courius (to me), much worse the X-E1?

The results are supported by words: "The relatively low dynamic range scores of the X-E2 reflect our findings in the real world, where highlights can be lost a little early [...]"

It's to early to have my own observarations so I have to rely on this graphs - especially because they look very profi

The results for the RAW are OK (ACR) but I have bought this camers for OOC JPEG, to simplify my workflow (life ;-)) and I was quite happy what my already-sold X-E1 produced.

Any suggetions ? Forget OOC JPEGs ? forget this review? Correct in-camera settings ?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/fuji-x-e2-1189190/review/5#articleContent

Best Regards,

Kriss

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,196Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2 - another review and jpeg DR observations ...
In reply to Kq77, 4 months ago

I skimmed the article. First, no where does it say at a glance anyway what Dynamic Range was set to. I know you can not use Auto most of the time. It was not clear what photography experience the shooter has. Plus, you can not buy anything based on a line graph.

Whatever....

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kq77
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

I skimmed the article. First, no where does it say at a glance anyway what Dynamic Range was set to. I know you can not use Auto most of the time. It was not clear what photography experience the shooter has.

True, but they compared XE-2 to XE-1 so I assume that the test procedure could be similiar.

Plus, you can not buy anything based on a line graph.

Whatever....

For sure, I already have bought XE-2 based on my experiences with XE-1

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 4,912Gear list
Like?

Kq77 wrote:

Hello,

In the latest X-E2 review - Tech Radar has shown poor results in jpeg dynamic range section.

The XE-2 results are the worst among competing camers, and what is the most courius (to me), much worse the X-E1?

The results are supported by words: "The relatively low dynamic range scores of the X-E2 reflect our findings in the real world, where highlights can be lost a little early [...]"

It's to early to have my own observarations so I have to rely on this graphs - especially because they look very profi

The results for the RAW are OK (ACR) but I have bought this camers for OOC JPEG, to simplify my workflow (life ;-)) and I was quite happy what my already-sold X-E1 produced.

Any suggetions ? Forget OOC JPEGs ? forget this review? Correct in-camera settings ?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/fuji-x-e2-1189190/review/5#articleContent

Best Regards,

Kriss

Well, you COULD start with the DPR review. It explains everything. It's simply the default contrast curve in JPEG. You can change both highlight and shadow range in the menu.

Measuring default anything is no indication of DR.

X-E2 DR in RAW is exactly the same as X-E1, and you can emulate X-E1 JPEGs by reading the manual.

Based on this review, I don't think Tech Radar is much use for anything.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,333Gear list
Like?

Kq77 wrote:

Hello,

Best Regards,

Kriss

Hi, since you own the X-E2 and previously used an X-E1 why are you asking us to tell you IQ comparisons. Who cares what one poorly executed Internet test claimed. You could also quote the dozens of reputable reviews that say the X-E2 jpegs are the best in any camera. Again, who cares?

You have the camera, read the manual, adjust the defaults, take some pictures and look at them.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Kq77
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

Hi, since you own the X-E2 and previously used an X-E1 why are you asking us to tell you IQ comparisons. Who cares what one poorly executed Internet test claimed. You could also quote the dozens of reputable reviews that say the X-E2 jpegs are the best in any camera. Again, who cares?

As I wrote "It's to early to have my own observarations ..." For sure, I will have it in near future, but now I wanted to share with you how others compare X-E2 to X-E1 and what conclusions they have .

You have the camera, read the manual, adjust the defaults, take some pictures and look at them.

OK, I will read the manual (I knew I've forgot something ;-).

Sal

BTW. The review as a whole is very positive to the XE-2

BR,

Kriss

FrankB2
Forum MemberPosts: 62
Like?

. . . .  forget this review? . . . .

I think you've got it there.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to FrankB2, 4 months ago

Sorry to say but there is a review in a UK magazine right now that says the same, putting it well below the em5 and em1.I read last night will try to find a scan

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?

Kq77 wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

As I wrote "It's to early to have my own observarations ..." For sure, I will have it in near future, but now I wanted to share with you how others compare X-E2 to X-E1 and what conclusions they have .

OK, I will read the manual (I knew I've forgot something ;-).

Sal

BTW. The review as a whole is very positive to the XE-2

BR,

Kriss

One thing regarding DR is VERY different between the E1 and E2. When set to AutoDR, the E1 will fairly quickly move to DR400 in a contrasty situation while the E2 will remain at DR200 for the SAME light/subject. As a matter of fact, I'm not sure you can get the E2 to move beyond DR200 on the Auto setting.

SO... if DR Auto was turned on for both tests, the E1 could be using a different DR setting than the E2.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Fujifilm X-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
John Carson
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,953Gear list
Like?
In reply to FrankB2, 4 months ago

FrankB2 wrote:

. . . . forget this review? . . . .

Graphs in TechRadar always seem to be weird.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Sal Baker
Like?
In reply to John Carson, 4 months ago

John Carson wrote:

FrankB2 wrote:

. . . . forget this review? . . . .

Graphs in TechRadar always seem to be weird.

-- hide signature --

john carson

These cameras can be fine-tuned for almost any desired look.  It's a shame that the current trend is for reviewers to compare cameras based on default settings.  The defaults are probably determined by the marketing departments and don't usually represent the real abilities of the cameras.

Sal

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
notdarkyet
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 4 months ago

I am a one week owner of this cam. Is DR something you have to set for every shoot? For instance tonite I have a Boat Parade shoot . Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Sal Baker
Like?
In reply to notdarkyet, 4 months ago

notdarkyet wrote:

I am a one week owner of this cam. Is DR something you have to set for every shoot? For instance tonite I have a Boat Parade shoot . Any suggestions?

-- hide signature --

Charlie

Hi, you might want to set it to 100, which is off, until you can play with the other setting amounts.  I only shoot RAW and it has no affect on RAW files so I can't help help much more.

Sal

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,549Gear list
Like?
In reply to notdarkyet, 4 months ago

notdarkyet wrote:

-- hide signature --

Charlie

I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably sound very stupid about the cameras but dynamic range is probably the most complicated thing about the Fuji cameras.

No two people seem to be able to agree what is the best setting and no two people seem to get the same results.

I have an X-E1 and, personally, I've decided to just set the DR on auto and forget about it.

Adjusting it for every photo situation is ridiculous and chances are you won't get it right with manual adjustments anyway.

Ed B's gear list:Ed B's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 40D Fujifilm X-E1
notdarkyet
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to Ed B, 4 months ago
-- hide signature --

I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably sound very stupid about the cameras but dynamic range is probably the most complicated thing about the Fuji cameras.

No two people seem to be able to agree what is the best setting and no two people seem to get the same results.

I have an X-E1 and, personally, I've decided to just set the DR on auto and forget about it.

Adjusting it for every photo situation is ridiculous and chances are you won't get it right with manual adjustments anyway.

Yeah, I wanted a fairly simple camera like my x100 as i am fairly simple minded!  Less I have to worry about the better.

Charlie

Absolutic
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,628Gear list
Like?

Tech Radar traditionally has the worst least reliable reviews in industry.  To the point, that they often have absolutely opposite results of everyone else.   There are many examples.   Don't even bother reading their reviews.   I'd trust my grandma who never shot a camera, more

Absolutic's gear list:Absolutic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
EugeneC
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?

Kq77 wrote:

Hello,

Best Regards,

Kriss

I have not tried Silkypix on the X-E2 jpegs but did make a direct comparison of a Silkypix processed X-E2 Raw file and the very latest LR upgrade. The latest LR is far superior to Silkypix showing very satisfying green sharpness etc. So, maybe it's Silkypix at fault. I personally have not noticed any X-E2 deficiency in DR compared to the X-E1.

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 +9 more
JCP_76
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 4 months ago

stimpy wrote:

Sorry to say but there is a review in a UK magazine right now that says the same, putting it well below the em5 and em1.I read last night will try to find a scan

Except you're not sorry are you? You seem to be revelling in such topics IMO.

Carsten Pauer 2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,478Gear list
Like?
Any suggetions ?

Buy the X-E2 and make Your own Decision.

forget this review?

Good Idea, most of the Reviews are Sponsored...
...and i Think here are to much "new" Users there want to make the Camera "Down".

Carsten Pauer 2's gear list:Carsten Pauer 2's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F700 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads