I have the X100 but am tempted with XPro1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
birket
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
I have the X100 but am tempted with XPro1
7 months ago

I've had the X100 for a few years now and I have enjoyed it. However, I keep seeing offers for the XPro1 with 18mm lens plus a 'free' extra lens (for less than a grand) and am VERY tempted. My colleague and friend has the XPro1 after using and being impressed with my X100 a year ago.

I guess my question is if anyone knows it an XPro2 is around the corner. Is it worth waiting would you say? Is anyone else waiting?

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.blinkimage.com

birket's gear list:birket's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,509Gear list
Like?
Re: I have the X100 but am tempted with XPro1
In reply to birket, 7 months ago

birket wrote:

I've had the X100 for a few years now and I have enjoyed it. However, I keep seeing offers for the XPro1 with 18mm lens plus a 'free' extra lens (for less than a grand) and am VERY tempted. My colleague and friend has the XPro1 after using and being impressed with my X100 a year ago.

I guess my question is if anyone knows it an XPro2 is around the corner. Is it worth waiting would you say? Is anyone else waiting?

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich

Rumours are CES in Jan for new announcement. I would wait, personally. You could either pick up a new Xpro2 or a very good deal on an Xpro1.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D800
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
birket
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57even, 7 months ago

57even wrote:

Rumours are CES in Jan for new announcement. I would wait, personally. You could either pick up a new Xpro2 or a very good deal on an Xpro1.

Interesting to know. I will try to resist until then!

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich

birket's gear list:birket's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
JdKen
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?

The deals right now on the X-Pro1 are pretty good in the UK (as you said) so if the lenses you'd get are ones you'd buy anyway then you're looking at an incredibly inexpensive camera body. Calumet are including the leather case as well for 949.00.

JdKen's gear list:JdKen's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504
Like?

birket wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich

The answer is simple. Since you are debating weather or not you should wait, you should just wait. As time goes by, the price of used/old-stock goes down and the probability of new cameras coming to market goes up. You already have a very capable camera that in many ways is better than the XPro1. The X100 has the silent leaf shutter, is capable of high speed flash sync, is smaller, it's lighter and has a built in flash. If you have the WCL, you have another focal length and it's much smaller than any of the XF lenses. Since you already have a great camera there's no reason why you shouldn't wait until you have all your choices on the table.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

Rumors are that a new more rugged camera with weather seals will be announced in January, along with two weather sealed lenses on a new lens roadmap. Also, rumors are that there will be a X-Pro1S upgrade and a Pro2 at a much later date.

these are rumors. But by the last week or January we should have official announcements and new road map. Of course new camera announcements also means another month or more before availability and longer than that for Raw support.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +8 more
Mike Guffin
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 7 months ago

mr moonlight wrote:

birket wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich

The answer is simple. Since you are debating weather or not you should wait, you should just wait. As time goes by, the price of used/old-stock goes down and the probability of new cameras coming to market goes up. You already have a very capable camera that in many ways is better than the XPro1. The X100 has the silent leaf shutter, is capable of high speed flash sync, is smaller, it's lighter and has a built in flash. If you have the WCL, you have another focal length and it's much smaller than any of the XF lenses. Since you already have a great camera there's no reason why you shouldn't wait until you have all your choices on the table.

I have found this to work for me... If I'm on the fence about something, I wait... If I know what I want, I don't hesitate... I have an X100, and wanted an X-Pro1, so I got it... Wondering about the X-Pro2 never entered my mind... if it did, I'd wait...

Mike Guffin's gear list:Mike Guffin's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
kodachromeguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 529Gear list
Like?
Re: No really good XPro1 deals in USA

I have not seen anything that attractive for USA buyers. All the vendors have the X-Pro1 and 35 mm for about $1500, but there is no free lens offer (just some money off if you buy another lens at the same time).

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

kodachromeguy's gear list:kodachromeguy's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1
ejw07
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Guffin, 7 months ago

Get the Xpro1 its still a good camera and then sell off the X100 to purchase the Xpro2 (that's if it comes out)  no one knows what's going yet. But the Pro1 is an awesome camera ..got the Xe2 and pro1  and they compliment each other.

ejw07's gear list:ejw07's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800E Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
alexmitchellphoto
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 7 months ago

If you really think about why not what for the Xpro 3 or 4 or 5? live for today, buy it at a great price, I did and still use my x100. I have been a pro photographer for 38 years and used Rollieflex, Hasselblad, and Nikon for all of those years, but I love using my fuji's

Alex

Zaax
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

You could get an WCL-X100 adapter for your X100 and that would give you a f/2.0 28mm lens for a cost of around $310.00. i bought one for my X100 and love it. Am not tempted in the least to get the 18 for my X-E1.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=wcl-x100&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/lens/conversionlens/x100wideconversionlens/

-- hide signature --

Zack S
Shoshin ni modoru - go back and remember the feeling of being a beginner
Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/10025089@N05

Zaax's gear list:Zaax's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +13 more
cheddargav
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,489Gear list
Like?
Re: No really good XPro1 deals in USA
In reply to kodachromeguy, 7 months ago

I have not seen anything that attractive for USA buyers. All the vendors have the X-Pro1 and 35 mm for about $1500, but there is no free lens offer (just some money off if you buy another lens at the same time).

-- hide signature --

The Kodachromeguy

Makes a pleasant change for us in the UK to get a good deal
To the OP, I say get it. I think this deal is superb, I'm going to get one as soon as I free up some cash!
Yes there'll be updates and replacements, but at great cost. This is too good to miss
--
www.twitter.com/gavphotography

cheddargav's gear list:cheddargav's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
JdKen
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zaax, 7 months ago

Supposing you'd actually want the 18mm and 60mm. Those two lenses (after the £100 cashback on each) would cost around £700. If you went for the deal with Calumet where you get the body, 18mm, free 60mm and leather case you'd pay £949. Since the case goes for around £150 the X-Pro 1 "costs" £100.

JdKen's gear list:JdKen's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

Going with the consensus here. At this point the prudent thing to do is wait. CES is nearly here. Fuji will make announcements. No matter what the announcements are they'll change the landscape. At the very least we should expect to see some more price drops on the current X Pro 1.

Oh, and on the 18mm, since it came up. I own one and I really like it. It gets maligned for chromatic aberration and blur at the corners, but it's actually a very crisp lens. It's quite capable as a B&W shooter and I especially like shooting it in a 1:1 aspect ratio. When using the native aspect I find the corners are far from unacceptably soft, and even when I notice some extra softness it isn't much of an issue since the 18mm angle of view allows plenty of room for cropping down to 23mm equiv'. It focuses quite close as well, making it an interesting option for SFX shots of objects and people.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Fujifilm X10 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
DJF77
Regular MemberPosts: 357Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zaax, 7 months ago

The xpro1 is a bargain NOW! when the  xpro2 is released no doubt it will be in the region of £1400 / £1500 body only. I would snap up the present deal offered buy Fuji.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to DJF77, 7 months ago

DJF77 wrote:

The xpro1 is a bargain NOW! when the xpro2 is released no doubt it will be in the region of £1400 / £1500 body only. I would snap up the present deal offered buy Fuji.

Why? CES is about six weeks away. If it were six months you'd have a point, but the prices on X-Pro 1 bodies aren't going to go up between now and then and depending on what Fuji does at CES there may be a more attractive option or an even cheaper X-Pro 1. Six weeks or so seems like a small price/risk to take.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Fujifilm X10 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,504
Like?
In reply to Mike Guffin, 7 months ago

Mike Guffin wrote:

mr moonlight wrote:

birket wrote:

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Rich

I have found this to work for me... If I'm on the fence about something, I wait... If I know what I want, I don't hesitate... I have an X100, and wanted an X-Pro1, so I got it... Wondering about the X-Pro2 never entered my mind... if it did, I'd wait...

Same reason I never picked up the X100s. I was on the fence on weather or not I should trade up. So I didn't trade up. I just kept shooting with my X100 and along came a FW upgrade!

Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 409Gear list
Like?

Whatever you'll decide , just keep your X100 , it's a cult

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marx81, 7 months ago

Marx81 wrote:

Whatever you'll decide , just keep your X100 , it's a cult

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Exactly!  Don't give up your X100, you will regret it!

I was torn between getting the X-E1, X-Pro 1, or X-E2.  I opted for the X-E2.  There is always something new around the corner, however with CES next month, wait it out and see what happens.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads