I wrote a Photoshop tutorial on Layer Masking

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
MichaelToyeImages
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
I wrote a Photoshop tutorial on Layer Masking
Dec 11, 2013

It's very useful for processing Monochrom files, but is just as relevant on all image files. The concept revolves around the idea that a single image wide process isn't always what you desire from an image instead that you can, for example, process a sky differently from the group of people, land or building underneath. And, of course, have them appear seamlessly in a single photo.

Click through to my blog to view.

Thanks for looking

Michael

MichaelToyeImages's gear list:MichaelToyeImages's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH
Cadder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,462
Like?
Re: I wrote a Photoshop tutorial on Layer Masking
In reply to MichaelToyeImages, Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for this. I'll definitely give it a try.

Cadder

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Lechero
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,331
Like?

MichaelToyeImages wrote:

It's very useful for processing Monochrom files, but is just as relevant on all image files. The concept revolves around the idea that a single image wide process isn't always what you desire from an image instead that you can, for example, process a sky differently from the group of people, land or building underneath. And, of course, have them appear seamlessly in a single photo.

Thanks for looking

Michael

Hi, Michael. I am lately trying to learn conversions using the zone system. Your tutorial is interesting and will certainly try it out. Thanks for your advise.

Best,

Eduardo

porrsha
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?

Michael,

Thanks for taking the time to generate the tutorial and then post a link. I think it works for you. You do disclaim the use of apeture and lightroom. My thought is that you get there easier on lightroom than processing by layers.

Just what works for me

Wayne

porrsha's gear list:porrsha's gear list
Leica D-LUX 3 Leica M Typ 240
MichaelToyeImages
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?
In reply to porrsha, Dec 11, 2013

Of course each to their own preferred process.

I've come from 10 years of photoshop and have got used to fine tuning images by tweaking the opacity on numerous layers before I settle to the specific look I'm after.

For instance, I might use 20% of a high structure filter in Nik SEP and 40% opacity for a silhouette styled filter. An odd combination together that would be difficult to reproduce in LR.

Michael

MichaelToyeImages's gear list:MichaelToyeImages's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 ASPH
Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,560
Like?
In reply to MichaelToyeImages, Dec 13, 2013

MichaelToyeImages wrote:

Thanks for looking

Michael

Thank you very much for this. I just used an offer they had on PS (for a yearly subscription), so I will try to start using it and tutorials like these are very useful. The concept of the layers and how you mix them is very flexible and opens new dimensions to pp for me.

Best, D

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads