V1 vs D800 moonshot with same lens

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
wornish
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
V1 vs D800 moonshot with same lens
7 months ago

The Nikon 1 sensor might be small but it sure is good.

Here are two shots taken over the last two nights using the same lens 80-400mm AF-S set at F8 and 1/200 sec.  One with the V1 + FT1 adapter and the second using my D800.   To be fair the sky wasn't quite as clear on the second night with the D800 but even so the V1 sensor is amazing.  What do you think?

V1 400mm F8 1/200sec

D800  400mm  F8 1/200sec

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MPg1
Forum MemberPosts: 80
Like?
Re: V1 vs D800 moonshot with same lens
In reply to wornish, 7 months ago

I think that lens is very good!

The V1 with electronic shutter has a clear advantage reducing vibrations, but to compare really fairly you need to shoot both with the same sky.

I once made an HD video with the V1 and a 500mm lens fixed on a tripod, you see the moon crossing the frame from two opposite corners. Nice and fun to make (had to make a few trials to figure out the motion direction).

Congrats,

Marco

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
andrbar
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,718Gear list
Like?

Impressive, albeit the first one is oversharpened IMO, while the second one seems very slightly blurry, or is it my monitor?

I agree that the V1 sensor is really good.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --
 andrbar's gear list:andrbar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
JP Scherrer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,991
Like?
Did you reduce the V1 image....

....or enlarged the D800 one, as in you exemple both images are of the same size, which is not the reality !

Very difficult to compare images that have been manipulated !

J-P.

Photo Galeries at http://www.pbase.com/scherrer
Spherical Panoramas (360x180 degrees) at http://www.viewat.org/?sec=pn&id_aut=2489
Equipment list in profile

gvk
gvk
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

You should be able to get better results using the D800 with that lens. You are correct that the higher pixel density of the V1 will record even more detail with the same lens. Here is a comparison of 100% crops from images that I took a few months ago with the V1 and D800E using a 300 mm f/2.8 with TC-20E III. The V1 shot was taken at ISO 100, 1/80 and f/6.3. The D800E at ISO200, 1/160 and f/6.3.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

wornish
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?
In reply to gvk, 7 months ago

As I said in my post the two shots were taken on consecutive nights and there was some high thin cloud when I tried with the D800 so I think that was a factor in losing a bit of detail.

I am surprised that even with the TC-20E III you still managed to get superb detail, maybe my next buy.  Although I read that the 80-400 is great with the TC-14 but loses a bit with anything higher.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads