Raw files in Aperture - cleanup

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
flylow47
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Raw files in Aperture - cleanup
Dec 11, 2013

I've been shooting raw for 4 years now and have a few thousand raw files in my Aperture 3.5 library - some of the older ones are actually in a referenced iphoto library.  I don't need them anymore, and last night I did some searches for raw files and exported all of the raw files into "high" quality JPEGS for all periods before this year. My thought was to then delete the raw files from aperture, import the JPEGS back into their parent folders, and empty the Aperture trash.  Is this the best way to accomplish what I'm wanting to do?

flylow47's gear list:flylow47's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Johanfoto
Senior MemberPosts: 2,924
Like?
Re: Raw files in Aperture - cleanup
In reply to flylow47, Dec 11, 2013

flylow47 wrote:

I've been shooting raw for 4 years now and have a few thousand raw files in my Aperture 3.5 library - some of the older ones are actually in a referenced iphoto library. I don't need them anymore, and last night I did some searches for raw files and exported all of the raw files into "high" quality JPEGS for all periods before this year. My thought was to then delete the raw files from aperture, import the JPEGS back into their parent folders, and empty the Aperture trash. Is this the best way to accomplish what I'm wanting to do?

Don't! Did you also throw away the negatives after you got your prints when you were shooting on film?

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DiploStrat
Contributing MemberPosts: 758Gear list
Like?

Scholars differ on this, but I agree with Johan - don't ever, not with a gun to your head, delete an original RAW file. (At least not one that surveyed the original quality scan.)

The are like negatives, you never know when you may want them again. I recently scanned thousands of slides, many well over thirty years old. And besides, you may find a software that you like better than Aperture, in which case you will want to be able to take full advantage.

To the news you can use, get another HD (USB 2.0 drives are extremely inexpensive) and move the old images to a new Aperture Library on that drive. Performance won't really be an issue and you can leave the drive powered down most of the time.

Save those memories!

Best wishes.

-- hide signature --

DiploStrat

DiploStrat's gear list:DiploStrat's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10 Nikon D60 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +6 more
PStu
Regular MemberPosts: 317Gear list
Like?

I purchased a script from Aperture Expert for a few dollars that automates the whole process:  exports as JPEG, imports the JPEG, moves the RAW to the trash folder.  I've done that to a number of RAW files that I judged were low-value, mostly pictures that might have gone into the trash folder for aesthetic reasons but document a moment.  I've also used that to clean up some of the TIFF and PSD documents created by plug-in software where I still have the original RAW file.

PStu's gear list:PStu's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,713
Like?

flylow47 wrote:

I've been shooting raw for 4 years now and have a few thousand raw files in my Aperture 3.5 library - some of the older ones are actually in a referenced iphoto library. I don't need them anymore, and last night I did some searches for raw files and exported all of the raw files into "high" quality JPEGS for all periods before this year. My thought was to then delete the raw files from aperture, import the JPEGS back into their parent folders, and empty the Aperture trash. Is this the best way to accomplish what I'm wanting to do?

Rawhide for Aperture is cheap and available from the App store. It does exactly what you want with lots of options re deletion tagging etc. I use it all the time to jpeg images I don't want to throw away but are not good enough for publishing.

Rawhide for Aperture

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 11,217
Like?

flylow47 wrote:

You could just throw away the masters/originals of the photos (or rather put them on an external drive that you then put away into a drawer). You would need to set the preview size to the maximum resolution you want to retain. Only problem is that Aperture won't export images with original missing. This can be side-stepped by simply dragging the images out of Aperture. And if you want to use Aperture's options to tailor exported images in size, quality or other parameters, you could re-import simply by dragging them backing into the project (don't know if that makes them referenced, though) and auto-stack by capture time.

flylow47
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brandon birder, Dec 11, 2013

Rawhide looks like it will do what i need, and I bought it. However, I could use some help in picking out the right option. I find the help screen less than intuitive.  I'm interested in keeping the full size edited JPEGs on my master hard drive and putting the raw files on an external drive. Which option should I select?

External space is not a concern. I have 3 externals on my iMac (6TB) with plenty of room available.

flylow47's gear list:flylow47's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads