Prices of Sigma lenses going down?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
TyphoonTW
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
Prices of Sigma lenses going down?
8 months ago

Yesterday I went to a local photography store to see if they had the Tokina 11-16 available for test on my D7100. The price for that lense was a bit higher than B&H but pretty average for a brick and mortar store. Just for fun I asked what was the price for the Sigma 8-16. The lens was not available so the boss called his dealer and after a quick phonecall he gave me a price that was actually 50$ cheaper than B&H.

I found that to be quite surprising and he told me that most  Sigma lenses are going down in price.

Needless to say that with the small difference in price I'm starting to be interested in the 8-16 (I originally discarded it for the price), but I was wondering if anyone else has some information about Sigma pricing!

-- hide signature --

This is where I write stuff: http://randomibis.wordpress.com/
This is where I upload stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
This is my stuff: Nikon D7100 + 18-55mm VR + 50mm f1.8

TyphoonTW's gear list:TyphoonTW's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,371Gear list
Like?
Re: Prices of Sigma lenses going down?
In reply to TyphoonTW, 8 months ago

I think so too. I was considering the Sigma 105mm OS macro when launched but it was quite expensive. I looked again recently and it is now very reasonably priced. I am now considering it again and will probably get it when Christmas is out of the way.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brev00
Senior MemberPosts: 5,592Gear list
Like?

If you check out the Sigma website, you will see a link to the sale prices on many lenses:

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/instant-savings?link=dec-m-02-instant-savings

There are instant savings on top of the price reductions.  When you press 'Find a Dealer', they provide links to a few internet sites with the prices offered there (the same or close).  These prices do not dictate what your brick and mortar store will sell them for, but, I would be surprised if B & H is higher. Some of the prices look very good to me but some lenses are not available at the discounted rate (17-70 C and other new ones).

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, 8 months ago

slimandy wrote:

I think so too. I was considering the Sigma 105mm OS macro when launched but it was quite expensive. I looked again recently and it is now very reasonably priced. I am now considering it again and will probably get it when Christmas is out of the way.

-- hide signature --

You mean the Sigma "150" OS...?

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?

TyphoonTW wrote:

Yesterday I went to a local photography store to see if they had the Tokina 11-16 available for test on my D7100. The price for that lense was a bit higher than B&H but pretty average for a brick and mortar store. Just for fun I asked what was the price for the Sigma 8-16. The lens was not available so the boss called his dealer and after a quick phonecall he gave me a price that was actually 50$ cheaper than B&H.

I found that to be quite surprising and he told me that most Sigma lenses are going down in price.

Needless to say that with the small difference in price I'm starting to be interested in the 8-16 (I originally discarded it for the price), but I was wondering if anyone else has some information about Sigma pricing!

-- hide signature --

This is where I write stuff: http://randomibis.wordpress.com/
This is where I upload stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/
This is my stuff: Nikon D7100 + 18-55mm VR + 50mm f1.8

It's a little premature to think that the price of all "SIGMA" lenses is on a decline because of a few (at best) instances! It's a little difficult to find proof of such a trend w/o looking at a lot of data, of which neither you, nor any typical consumer has. The executives of such companies have the data, to which none of us are privy to...

A 'sale' is something different. All companies do that...

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,934Gear list
Like?
In reply to hypercore360, 8 months ago

There are bound to be all sorts of deals on the manufacturers' websites at this time of year, in addition to the e-vendors and big box sources.  Just to report on 2 websites I looked at, Olympus willl sell you an m4/3 40-150 zoom for only $119 and Sony will sell you a NEX-3 w/16-50 for $369, rather than the very low $399 Best Buy, B&H, and Adorama were offering.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,371Gear list
Like?
In reply to hypercore360, 8 months ago

hypercore360 wrote:

slimandy wrote:

-- hide signature --

You mean the Sigma "150" OS...?

No, had that and sold it. Great quality but a bit big for my liking.

I mean the 105mm OS macro. Not as bulky or heavy as the 150 and more useful for doulbe use as a portrait lens.

-- hide signature --

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Michael Benveniste
Senior MemberPosts: 1,712Gear list
Like?

TyphoonTW wrote:

Perhaps Sigma is reacting to the strengthening of the dollar?

Yen per Dollar, 1 year chart.  (Courtesy Bloomberg)

-- hide signature --

I miss the days when I used to be nostalgic.

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +29 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 1,723Gear list
Like?

Aside from the sales/rebates that Sigma has going on right now, they also have a very different pricing structure than Nikon.

Nikon more or less sets minimum prices on its cameras and lenses; this is why you rarely see them advertised below a given price point from any authorized reseller.

Sigma, however, does not do this, and as a result you see a lot more variability in price on their lenses. For example, the 35mm f/1.4g has a msrp of $1499, and you never ever see it listed at that price.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Mistur
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 8 months ago

"Sigma, however, does not do this, and as a result you see a lot more variability in price on their lenses. For example, the 35mm f/1.4g has a msrp of $1499, and you never ever see it listed at that price."

Just purchased the Sigma 35 f1.4 for $899 in Canadian dollars. I initially planned on getting the Nikon 28 f/1.8 but  when I saw the Sigma at that price I went with it. I brought my Df with me to the camera store and tested focus, it was bang on sharp and already had the latest firmware upgrade.

Mistur's gear list:Mistur's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Alpha 7S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
virtualkyr
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 8 months ago

Not too long ago BandH was selling the newest Sigma 70-200 F2.8 for $999!

Kind of wish I had snagged one at that price.

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLR: Nikon D90
Lenses: Tokina 11-16 F2.8, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, and 35mm F1.8
Compact: Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30 and 30-110
Video: Sony NX5U, Canon HV40, GoPro Hero2, Adobe CS5 Production Premium

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads