Anyone using Zeiss 16-35mm F2.8 on A7R?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,588Gear list
Like?
Anyone using Zeiss 16-35mm F2.8 on A7R?
7 months ago

I am wondering if the Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM (SAL1635Z) lens is any good on an A7r?

Greg.

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin Muehlemann
Contributing MemberPosts: 880Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone using Zeiss 16-35mm F2.8 on A7R?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 7 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

I am wondering if the Sony Vario-Sonnar T* 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM (SAL1635Z) lens is any good on an A7r?

Greg.

I do use this lens with LA-E4. Works like a charm

Martin Muehlemann's gear list:Martin Muehlemann's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to Martin Muehlemann, 7 months ago

How would you rate the performance of this lens? Is it sharp to the corners at 16mm?

I am looking to find a replacement for my Nikon14-24mm F2.8ED which has been a mainstay for me for some time. It haas bad edge smearing on the A7r.

Greg.

Hawaii-geek
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,814Gear list
Like?
Astrophotographer,

How would you rate the performance of this lens? Is it sharp to the corners at 16mm?

I am looking to find a replacement for my Nikon14-24mm F2.8ED which has been a mainstay for me for some time. It haas bad edge smearing on the A7r.

Greg.

Greg,

Use your Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 with adapter on the A7r ... I have not yet but think it would be awesome.

I am shooting with the 16-35mm f2.8  .. need to shoot more with it.    but there is something about the 14-24mm f2.8 that I feel is better.  Have not shot enough with the 16-35 ZA to nail what I am "not" connecting with.  and have not yet with the A7r+LAEA4.

But, then again I was not a big fan of the 24-70mm f2.8 ZA vs the Nikon 24-70 f2.8  but that was on the D800 vs a99.

Am of the opinion  Sony needs to do A-mount   14-24 f2.8 and Re-Do there 24-70 Weather Sealed and optimized for 36mp and at least 54mp.

Sony needs a Holly Trinity. Period.  and ALL Weather Sealed.  and all optimized for High Res. Sensors.  Sony wants respect, that will do it.    Well , along with a PRO  Fast AF  A-Mount at 36mp.      ...   Did I say FAST CAF ?

Just my opinion,

HG

-- hide signature --
 Hawaii-geek's gear list:Hawaii-geek's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R +15 more
Martin Muehlemann
Like?

Greg.

Well

Let me put it this way. There are two lenses on earth, UWA which are at the top of the list and other which fall down

1. Nikkor 12-24
2. Olympus ZD 7-14 (14-28)

Those have a very good corner sharpness

The Zeiss is not bad, but it does not reach the level of the Nikkor or the Oly. But at least I can say that it is better than all the three Canon's I had

Until the day Sony brings a native FE UWA I will keep this one because for me it the best UWA in the Sony system.

Cheers
Martin

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Astrophotographer 10
Like?
Re: Astrophotographer,
In reply to Hawaii-geek, 7 months ago

I have the Nikon 14-24 and as you say its an amazing lens. Sadly it does not work well on the A7r. I got bad edge smearing and way out of focus on the left and right 20% of the image. I can post samples if you want. Not sure why that would be. I used the Metabones Nikon adapter.

It reduced when stopped down but still a problem. Also I need it really at F2.8 as well.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?

The Oly is an APS or Micro 4/3rds or full frame?

Greg.

UnderDriven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

I thought you initially said the Nikon 14-24mm appeared to work well. Did further testing reveal problems?

I am surprised that it would not work well on the A7R. It is not a rangefinder lens, so it should be fairly telecentric (also, it was designed to work with a digital sensor, not film). Are you seeing any problems on telephoto lenses, or only with the 14-24mm wideangle?

-- hide signature --

“The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!” --Henri Cartier-Bresson

UnderDriven's gear list:UnderDriven's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
UnderDriven
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?

Martin Muehlemann wrote:

Let me put it this way. There are two lenses on earth, UWA which are at the top of the list and other which fall down

1. Nikkor 12-24
  2. Olympus ZD 7-14 (14-28)

The Olympus is not surprising, since one of the main design goals for the 4/3 system was telecentric lenses (light rays arrive perpendicular to the sensor plane). However, I am surprised that the Nikon 14-24mm would have issues, since it was designed for use with digital sensors without offset microlenses...

-- hide signature --

“The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks!” --Henri Cartier-Bresson

UnderDriven's gear list:UnderDriven's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A57 +9 more
Martin Muehlemann
Like?

The Oly is an APS or Micro 4/3rds or full frame?

Greg.

The ZD7-14 is a Four-Third lens from the Super High Grade line

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?

My a7R just hit the door today and I also have the 16-35mm and adapter. I'll let you know.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

ELSELS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, 7 months ago

cosmonaut wrote:

My a7R just hit the door today and I also have the 16-35mm and adapter. I'll let you know.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

-- hide signature --

Camera Equipment, Computer Gear and more

Congratulations - (Sounds like a nice combination).

+1

Please let us all know the results, inquiring minds - would like to know?

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to UnderDriven, 7 months ago

Let me take the comment about the 14-24mm Nikon back. It was pointed out to me by another that others have had good results from this lens with A7r. I am now thinking its my adapter after back to back tests with my D800E and 2 different adapters on the A7r.

I am getting variable results and there is some minor play in the adapter. I am looking at getting a Novoflex one and see.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to UnderDriven, 7 months ago

Yes my initial quick look shot seemed OK. Then I shot a nightscape panorama with it and when I was processing the images I was shocked to see the stars as long streaks out towards the edges of the image.

I have just checked it again and I am uncertain about it. I can get half decent results so because its a heavy and large lens some flex is occuring in the adapter. I am looking at getting a Novoflex adapter to see if that handles it. It would be great if I can get it working 100% as its such a great lens.

I'll let you know. Probably within a few days.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, 7 months ago

Yes that would be great. I look forward to your results. Would you mind posting a few images from it at 16mm and F2.8?

Greg.

hip2
Regular MemberPosts: 449Gear list
Like?

Hi Greg,

does this happen at all focal lengths ?

-- hide signature --

- The French HiP -
Paris through 'purple' glass http://hip2.free.fr/
My humble galleries http://www.flickr.com/photos/hip1

hip2's gear list:hip2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +44 more
Martin Muehlemann
Like?

Yes that would be great. I look forward to your results. Would you mind posting a few images from it at 16mm and F2.8?

Greg.

Here we go

A99 with 16-35Z and A7r with LA-EA4 and 16-35Z

Both shot @F/2.8

No PP applied. Straigt RAW out of Camera and exported with LR5.3 (Final)

200 ISO 1/500s Exposure f/2.8 Aperture 16mm Focal Length SLT-A99V Camera

A99 + 16-35Z

200 ISO 1/320s Exposure f/2.8 Aperture 16mm Focal Length ILCE-7R Camera

A7r + 16-35Z

The A7r pictures are generally warmer than the ones from A99

Cheers

Martin

120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?

Let me take the comment about the 14-24mm Nikon back. It was pointed out to me by another that others have had good results from this lens with A7r. I am now thinking its my adapter after back to back tests with my D800E and 2 different adapters on the A7r.

I am getting variable results and there is some minor play in the adapter. I am looking at getting a Novoflex one and see.

Greg.

For best results, your adapter should be exactly the correct length. This can be checked by verifying infinity focus (on the moon) coincides with the infinity hard stop on a fully functional manual Nikon lens.

arcaswissi99
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?

Hi Martin,

although 2,8 the quality on the border is really nothing to write home about. To be honest for me neither A99 nor A7r are usable with 2.8 with this lens. As I am still not sure if I shall buy the A7R - very good sensor but many not so nice habits - this lens is also a matter of interest for me - at least until now.

-- hide signature --

Erni

arcaswissi99's gear list:arcaswissi99's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Astrophotographer 10
Like?
In reply to hip2, 7 months ago

You know I am now thinking after doing some more testing this afternoon that this is more an adapter issue. I am planning on getting a Novoflex Nikon adapter and see if that helps. Its a large and heavy lens and I think there is some flex and the lens is pretty intolerant of misalignments.

Also the distance of the adapter may be off a tad.

Greg.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads