Back up to EM-1

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Bonsainz
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?
Back up to EM-1
9 months ago

I have just got a EM-1 with the 12-40, plus the 60macro and the 20m pani 1.7, what I am asking would people recomend as a back to this camera,

What I am after is something small that I can either have in a pocket or carry bag. maybe with the 20m pani as the lense.

I look forward to seeing what other are doing in this suituation.

Bonsainz's gear list:Bonsainz's gear list
Leica C-LUX 1 Olympus E-M1
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,204Gear list
Like?
Re: Back up to EM-1
In reply to Bonsainz, 9 months ago

Bonsainz wrote:

I have just got a EM-1 with the 12-40, plus the 60macro and the 20m pani 1.7, what I am asking would people recomend as a back to this camera,

What I am after is something small that I can either have in a pocket or carry bag. maybe with the 20m pani as the lense.

I'm keeping my EM5 as my backup.

The GX7 would be a nice choice as well if you want something with EVF.

If you don't want an EVF and want something even smaller, there are many choices from the EP5 down to the tiny GM1.

What is the ideal size? What is the budget?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
drcPhoto
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?
In reply to EarthQuake, 9 months ago

After reading some of the reviews and seeing both photos and video from the Panasonic GM1, I would have to say that camera would be perfect as a backup camera.  Just be careful it doesn't soon become something you use more often too.  It has an amazing sensor and will give the EM-1 a good challenge and yet the camera is extremely light and perfect with something like the 17mm or 20mm lens on most of the time.  It is an amazing camera  in it's own right,

Dale

drcPhoto's gear list:drcPhoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Olympus E-M1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +21 more
Brendan Delaney
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?
In reply to drcPhoto, 9 months ago

Keeping my E-M5. Its very small and only worth £500 sale.

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Street, Urban and Documentary Photography

Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 24mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
LeeS
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
E-M5 sans grip

In the past, my E-M5 was never without grip as my most used lenses are the 12-35 and 35-100.  I used an E-PL5 as back up.  Now that I have the E-M1 which handles beautifully with those larger lenses, I find the ungripped E-M5 to be very nice with smaller lenses like the 17 1.8 or the 9-18.

I will probably sell the E-PL5.  The E-M5 is not that much larger than the E-PL5 and I appreciate the built in EVF, larger rear screen and superior IBIS.  For me the E-PL5 was not a good camera to back up a primary camera with the twin dial control system; I incurably turned the mode dial when intending to adjust aperture. Although there are many differences between the controls of the M1 and M5, the similarity of the two primary controls which fall to the thumb (aperture) and forefinger (EC) is a big advantage for me.

Lee

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
LeeS
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Re: E-M5 sans grip
In reply to LeeS, 9 months ago

Plus...E-M5 uses same battery and charger.

Also... my well worn E-M5 would not bring much on the used market 

Lee

LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Jeff Tokayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,930
Like?

I bought a mint condition E-P5. It complements my silver lenses. Without the VF4, it fits in a coat pocket. And it takes the same battery as the E-M1.

-- hide signature --

My nickel, since the penny is being discontinued...
Jeff.

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,517Gear list
Like?

In my opinion, the best camera as a backup to E-M1 is a Panasonic, and not another Olympus one, for the following reasons, and I think the GM1, LX7 are both good depending on the size and price you want:

- a silent shutter for church weddings, candids, etc

- better videos than Olympus cameras

- automatic correction of CA

- avoid purple spots when using the 7-14mm lens

- avoid rattlesnake sound when using lenses like the 25mm f/1.4

In other words, you will get the best of both worlds, i.e. use the E-M1 when you want to have the best IBIS for old lenses or non-stabilised M43 lenses or reasonable AF tracking, or use the Panasonic when you need nice video, silent operation, or less problems with Panasonic lenses, etc.

Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,062Gear list
Like?

I would say the best back up to the EM-1 would be another EM-1 set up with the exact settings. This would be particularly true if you are shooting jobs like weddings, or any job where a quick switch between cameras may be required.

As I have come up the line with Olympus cameras from the E-10, E-1, E-30, E-3, E-5, and now the EM-1, I always used my previous camera as my backup. However, when you are rushed, and haven't used the previous camera for months, it is easy to forget how to quickly change a setting on your previous camera.

I could never afford to have two of the same model cameras, but I think it is the best idea to do so.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?
My EM-5

which stays tucked up in its bag against the day the EM-1 has to go back, again, because of problems.

Its also very useful to carry with the EM-1 on those shoots when I want a wide angle / macro on one and the 75-300 on the other, being small enough and light enough to tuck in the side of my bag

Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list
Like?

I would say either an E-P5 or EM-5, so that you can use the same battery and get more or less the same images. I would probably use an E-P5 because it has one useful feature the EM-1 doesn't have: built-in flash.

As much as it is true that the GX7 is better for video in the codec sense, EM-1 has 5-axis stabilization and mic input, and that will produce more noticeable differences than the GX7's superior codec will, and in a tripod shoot, I think that GH3 > GX7 because of the articulating screen, mic input, and headphone output. Really, I don't think that it makes a lot of sense having a backup that requires you to learn an entirely new system. And really, there's nothing keeping you from doing that, but then it's not really a back up.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
Ep5 or em5 share batteries, always nice.
-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,089Gear list
Like?
Three choices come to mind (OK, a few more, but...)

E-M5 is almost at the level of the E-M1 sans grip... the controls should be familiar enough.

E-P5 exceeds the E-M5 in some specs, lacks the weather sealing, hump and some controls.

If you are willing to stray from the family, the GX7 looks like a capable camera, has an EVF w/o the hump.

Runner up would be E-PM2 for an E-M5 sensor in the smallest package.

My current backup is an E-PL1 w 14mm mounted, but in another year or two when I do buy the E-M1, my E-M5 will become my slimmer backup

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
lapdog99
Regular MemberPosts: 312Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 9 months ago

Yep, I use a GX7 as a backup to my EM-1.  The only thing I do miss is not having slow motion on the GX7, like on my wife's GH3

lapdog99's gear list:lapdog99's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
Paulmorgan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,708
Like?

Bonsainz wrote:

Fuji x100s

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,834Gear list
Like?

I'm still waiting for my E-M1 to arrive, but meanwhile I grabbed a PM2 on a great deal ($349 with two kit lenses) to serve as a backup. This little thing is a wonder, turning out very nice image quality on a jacket-pocketable camera.

All things considered, I'd rather have a EP5, but the PM2 is a steal, even at its regular selling price.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads