Sigma 60 and owl

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,053Gear list
Like?
Sigma 60 and owl
7 months ago

If you're wondering how sharp the Sigma is, here's another example, slightly cropped.

This was a rescued barred owl, at a local display last Sunday. Hand-held and IS-1.

You won't get within ten paces of a live owl in the wild… but look at the feather detail, with 1:1 view.

Well worth the $200, I say.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Fujifilm FinePix IS-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,605Gear list
Like?
Thanks. That Sigma and my 14mm are my two favorite lenses.
In reply to Barry Stewart, 7 months ago

And I've got a lot of lenses. Nice owl.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
stinelise
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 60 and owl

Barry Stewart wrote:

If you're wondering how sharp the Sigma is, here's another example, slightly cropped.

This was a rescued barred owl, at a local display last Sunday. Hand-held and IS-1.

You won't get within ten paces of a live owl in the wild… but look at the feather detail, with 1:1 view.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Thanks for sharing Barry

Lots of detail in the picture. Im sure the out of focus area will course discussion, but to me it looks really nice. Get the feeling its sitting in a forest environment.

Stine Lise

stinelise's gear list:stinelise's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +6 more
nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,865Gear list
Like?
Awww that's really good

Barry Stewart wrote:

-- hide signature --

Barry

Man if you can get that close to the subject, its pure magic in sharp details. Drop dead gorgeous details. Phew, that is good, superb in fact.

All the best Barry and congrats on a top shot !!

Danny.

-- hide signature --
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,536Gear list
Like?

Very yummy owl. Sima 60 is the best for portraiture.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 5,423
Like?

Nice stuff. I shot an owl at close range with the 75. Unfortunately I had to use it wide open, so the DOF is very shallow. Yours shows much more detail.

MatsP
Contributing MemberPosts: 892Gear list
Like?

Very impressive shot of the owl. When looking at 100% you really see a lot of details, among them the photographer mirrored in the owl's eye!.

The Sigma 60 mm must be a very sharp lens.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Barry Stewart
Like?
Re: Thanks. That Sigma and my 14mm are my two favorite lenses.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 7 months ago

Thanks for dropping by, Cork. I used to sniff at 3rd-party lenses — but this one has challenged my thinking.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Barry Stewart
Like?
Stine
In reply to stinelise, 7 months ago

stinelise wrote:

Lots of detail in the picture. Im sure the out of focus area will course discussion, but to me it looks really nice.

None yet! I was in P-mode, as I was handing off the camera to my wife fairly often. F/5.6 was from the brain of the E-PL5 (another bargain). On my own, I likely would have chosen f/2.8… which may have had too fine a DOF for all the bird's details.

Get the feeling its sitting in a forest environment.

Yes, I could have lied about waiting in a hide for 8 hours for the shot, LOL! It was in a big garden center near our house. I cropped off a string of Christmas decorations.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart
Like?
Re: Awww that's really good
In reply to nzmacro, 7 months ago

nzmacro wrote:

Man if you can get that close to the subject, its pure magic in sharp details. Drop dead gorgeous details. Phew, that is good, superb in fact.

All the best Barry and congrats on a top shot !!

Danny.

Thanks Danny. Happy to please a discerning bird man!

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart
Like?
In reply to s_grins, 7 months ago

s_grins wrote:

Very yummy owl. Sima 60 is the best for portraiture.

I agree. I use it a lot… even for hockey and basketball. It's a crazy-good lens.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart
Like?
Martin, DOF
In reply to Martin.au, 7 months ago

Martin.au wrote:

Nice stuff. I shot an owl at close range with the 75. Unfortunately I had to use it wide open, so the DOF is very shallow. Yours shows much more detail.

I hope we won't now go to 150 comments on DOF, LOL!

As I mentioned to Stine above, it was just luck that it was F/5.6. I had it in P-mode, as I was passing the camera over to my wife quite often (toddler grandson in tow.)

Here is an F/5 shot, where the background is obliterated by the thin DOF. My wife wasn't happy with the effect until I told her that was the "professional" look! (Not much good for Facebook, though…)

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart
Like?
In reply to MatsP, 7 months ago

MatsP wrote:

Very impressive shot of the owl. When looking at 100% you really see a lot of details, among them the photographer mirrored in the owl's eye!.

You got me there, Mats! You can also see the ribs of the greenhouse roof… so I guess I couldn't fool you and say it was taken in the wilderness?

The Sigma 60 mm must be a very sharp lens.

Agreed. Christmas gift ideas, anyone? In western Canada, London Drugs is a great source.

-- hide signature --

Barry

watcher1
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?

Very nice capture. Looks very sharp: kudos to the lens AND the steady hand of the photographer! I too think the background adds a lot to the impact/"realism" of the image. Well done.

I really like owls. Here is a shot with the much maligned Panny 100-300 taken at over 200mm with a monopod. It is from a raptor rehab center in Sitka, Alaska.

watcher1's gear list:watcher1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +4 more
Barry Stewart
Like?
Watcher
In reply to watcher1, 7 months ago

Lovely pose and complimentary colour in the background.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Kim R
Forum ProPosts: 17,884
Like?

Nice image Barry.

I work hard at it but often shoot wild ones within ten paces. It is fun! 

-- hide signature --

_
( ' >
/ ) )
//'~ KimR
'The very fact that I find myself in agreement with you other minds perturbs me, so that I hunt for points of divergence, feeling the urgent need to make it clear that at least I reached the same conclusions by a different route.'
http://upload.pbase.com/image/73987816.jpg

jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 812
Like?

wow!

Beautiful details !

you managed to be quite close

I guess my copy is about as sharp as yours. I'll have to check with some bird or fur animal.

Barry Stewart
Like?
In reply to Kim R, 7 months ago

Kim R wrote:

Nice image Barry.

I work hard at it but often shoot wild ones within ten paces. It is fun!

Do you shoot them with a gun first? LOL! You must have a lot of time and patience... I envy that.

-- hide signature --

--

Barry

Barry Stewart
Like?
In reply to jf_tea, 7 months ago

jf_tea wrote:

wow!

Beautiful details !

you managed to be quite close

I guess my copy is about as sharp as yours. I'll have to check with some bird or fur animal.

Ah, so you've joined the Sigma 60 club too. If no available wildlife, a close-up of a child's face would be a fine test as well.

-- hide signature --

Barry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads