Cost for new LCD?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Hibiki Rush
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?
Cost for new LCD?
11 months ago

Was hoping someone might know what the monetary damage from Ricoh service might be for an LCD replacement on the GR? Had a fall and unfortunately the GR now has a cracked LCD. Even the GGS cover didn't help it...
Though I do have damage protection for 90 days with my credit card, and wonder if this is something that might be covered... Hm.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,004
Like?
Re: Cost for new LCD?
In reply to Hibiki Rush, 11 months ago

Hibiki Rush wrote:

Was hoping someone might know what the monetary damage from Ricoh service might be for an LCD replacement on the GR? Had a fall and unfortunately the GR now has a cracked LCD. Even the GGS cover didn't help it...
Though I do have damage protection for 90 days with my credit card, and wonder if this is something that might be covered... Hm.

For some models lcd screens are available on the web very cheaply - the same ones are used in some NEX models, the GRDIII, GXR and the Canon 50D.  However fitting them is not a good idea as there is a "trick" to getting them in - not the least that static electricity can screw the whole camera up without using proper technicians care and knowledge.

I don't know of the GR screen but it might also be available.  Not recommending the self-repair practice but maybe someone with good camera repairs skills might venture a repair.

However the best course of action is a back to base repair and there have been mixed stories on just how good the response is from Ricoh authorised repair centres.

If you can disclose your country of location someone can probably chip in with some more information.

The Australian distributor CR Kennedy has been very helpful with two lcd replacements for me (different cameras - same type of screen) when they suffered from screen coating degradation.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rondom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,484
Like?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 11 months ago

Well, the way I read it the op is asking the cost of repair that ricoh would be charging. No mention of DIY...

which is what I would recommend too. I did change the LCDs on my GRD3 twice, and I would not recommend it to anyone. On the other hand my understanding the gxr bodies were easier to open up for the same purpose. I have a feeling that the gr will be somewhere in between: neither as tricky as GRD 3 nor as easy as Gxr.

Hibiki Rush
Like?
In reply to rondom, 11 months ago

rondom wrote:

Well, the way I read it the op is asking the cost of repair that ricoh would be charging. No mention of DIY...

which is what I would recommend too. I did change the LCDs on my GRD3 twice, and I would not recommend it to anyone. On the other hand my understanding the gxr bodies were easier to open up for the same purpose. I have a feeling that the gr will be somewhere in between: neither as tricky as GRD 3 nor as easy as Gxr.

Not against this idea, but the problem is I could not find any GR screens on eBay... Not sure if there are other sources.
I think I will send it in at least for an estimate and see what Ricoh quotes, and see if my Damage Protection on my card would cover it (never attempted it before so no idea!).
Will follow up when I get it figured out. Thanks for the advice.

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213
Like?
I don't know, but they do charge @200 for a new lens assembly.

Just a data point.

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,004
Like?

Hibiki Rush wrote:

rondom wrote:

Not against this idea, but the problem is I could not find any GR screens on eBay... Not sure if there are other sources.
I think I will send it in at least for an estimate and see what Ricoh quotes, and see if my Damage Protection on my card would cover it (never attempted it before so no idea!).
Will follow up when I get it figured out. Thanks for the advice.

I think the conseus is - get it fixed for you by an expert.

I only mentioned that the GRDIII (same as GXR screens) are readily available and cheap as a matter of covering the bases.  But although some have actually done this and reported on it the exercise is not for the faint hearted or not electronically wise.

The GRDIV screen is different and I have no knowledge if it is the same screen as in the GR.  But in any case I agree that there may not be GR screens easily available.  Maybe the GXR and GRDIII screens were made commonly available as replacements because of the degrading coating issue thaat the early ones suffered from?

I surmise that the screen in the GR is a Sony-made part and as such if Sony made them available as a batch for the repair industry then there should be some method of identifying the correct screen.

This still leaves the official repair as your best option.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

mickcivic
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

Hibiki Rush wrote:

If it's damage protection, and your camera is damaged, why wouldn't it be covered?

I know with American Express, it is incredibly easy to file a claim and get a credit on your account within a week.

I recently had to send in my GR and, long story short, I didn't get it back for 53 days. Because I had a brain fart and didn't buy it with my American Express card.

Use the credit card protection and sell the broken one for parts, or get it fixed and hang on to it, or sell it.

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
yonsarh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

I don't know about GR, but since I had LCD replacement for JVC camcorder's, they ask about 100$ more or little less.  So for digital cameras, I think it would be about the same/ or similar.

Hibiki Rush
Like?
In reply to mickcivic, 11 months ago

mickcivic wrote:

Hibiki Rush wrote:

If it's damage protection, and your camera is damaged, why wouldn't it be covered?

I know with American Express, it is incredibly easy to file a claim and get a credit on your account within a week.

I recently had to send in my GR and, long story short, I didn't get it back for 53 days. Because I had a brain fart and didn't buy it with my American Express card.

Use the credit card protection and sell the broken one for parts, or get it fixed and hang on to it, or sell it.

I've never used the damage protection before so don't really know how likely it is that it will be offered? I guess it just seems one of those features that sounds too good to be true! But AmEx cards usually come with great benefits so it should be fine I just need to get paperwork processed.

Regarding the repair time -- yikes, that is quite long! I am leaving for an Asia trip on 1/13 and was hoping to get it by then, seems like I might be needing to buy a replacement in the interim... Interestingly enough, I sent a 35mm Sigma lens over for repair due to focus being off, I think it was sent back out within 2 days of it being received. I did request a rush process due to travel so I'm not sure if that had an effect, but I was really surprised at how quickly the repair was done. Ricoh hasn't even sent over an estimate yet and they've had it for about a week now...

mickcivic
Contributing MemberPosts: 554Gear list
Like?

Hibiki Rush wrote:

mickcivic wrote:

Hibiki Rush wrote:

I've never used the damage protection before so don't really know how likely it is that it will be offered? I guess it just seems one of those features that sounds too good to be true! But AmEx cards usually come with great benefits so it should be fine I just need to get paperwork processed.

Regarding the repair time -- yikes, that is quite long! I am leaving for an Asia trip on 1/13 and was hoping to get it by then, seems like I might be needing to buy a replacement in the interim... Interestingly enough, I sent a 35mm Sigma lens over for repair due to focus being off, I think it was sent back out within 2 days of it being received. I did request a rush process due to travel so I'm not sure if that had an effect, but I was really surprised at how quickly the repair was done. Ricoh hasn't even sent over an estimate yet and they've had it for about a week now...

If you did buy it with American Express, I would file the claim immediately.

You could have the credit back on your card in a week's time.

It's definitely NOT too good to be true--it's simply insurance that you pay for when you pay your American Express fee--you're entitled to it as a cardholder, and only one of the many benefits they offer.

I put in a few claims for my former boss (one example was an iPad that was dropped and cracked) and each time went off without a hitch.

I put in one claim for myself for a little cheapie digital camera that cost $100. I dropped it accidentally, filed a claim, and had the credit on my card within 5-6 days.

The most trouble I ever ran into was then American Express asked for a picture of the iPad. I snapped a picture, emailed it to the rep asking for it, and we were done--we had a credit in a matter of days.

I only WISH I had bought my GR with my American Express card. When I had dropped it and the lens assembly fell apart, I was within the 90 days, but alas, I didn't buy it with AmEx, I bought it with a Mack Warranty and went through Mack. It took FOREVER.

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads