My new GR arrived!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Ecorone
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
My new GR arrived!
9 months ago

Thanks again for the people who contributed to my previous thread when I was deciding to buy the GR.

First impressions: this thing is awesome. I haven't been able to shoot anything of note yet, but the raw images at ISO3200 are fantastic. Heads and shoulders above any other pocket cam I've used.

One question: The image review on the LCD seems like it's based on a very low resolution pre-generated image. Is there any way to zoom into a reviewed image with the goal of critically judging focus?

The lens is sharp and has very little distortion.

Now, when I leave my heavy bulky gear at home, I feel like I've got a D7000 with a prime lens in my pocket. Can't wait to shoot more with it!

Ecorone's gear list:Ecorone's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
msgf4pt5
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Re: My new GR arrived!
In reply to Ecorone, 9 months ago

One question: The image review on the LCD seems like it's based on a very low resolution pre-generated image. Is there any way to zoom into a reviewed image with the goal of critically judging focus?

Shoot in RAW+. This will give you a full res jpg you can zoom in for inspection.

BTW congrats on your new GR you will enjoy it much!

msgf4pt5's gear list:msgf4pt5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ecorone
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
In reply to msgf4pt5, 9 months ago

msgf4pt5 wrote:

Shoot in RAW+. This will give you a full res jpg you can zoom in for inspection.

BTW congrats on your new GR you will enjoy it much!

Thanks for the advice!

Ecorone's gear list:Ecorone's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
Parkettpolitur
Forum MemberPosts: 55Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ecorone, 9 months ago

I've always considered that a bug, to be honest. I'd like to be able to shoot RAW only and still get a usable preview in the form of a temporary JPEG embedded in the RAW or something - just to check sharpness, exposure etc. On my DP2 Merrill, for example, I exclusively shoot RAW and still get great preview images in-camera. Not sure why the GR doesn't work that way; it's the only reason I keep shooting RAW+. I hope Ricoh fix this in a firmware update - or maybe there's a setting I've overlooked?

Anyway, congrats on the GR, it's an amazing camera

Parkettpolitur's gear list:Parkettpolitur's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Ricoh GR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads