Used lens, is this ok?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
ordkhntr
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?
Used lens, is this ok?
11 months ago

I bought a used lens from BH and I received it today. I am kinda concerned about scratches on the lens and wanted to see if it is something I should be concerned about. It was rated as an 8+, any wear is suppose to be only cosmetic. Will these scratches be seen in the photos? Should I send it back? Is it no big deal?

Thanks for your help

RJ

ordkhntr's gear list:ordkhntr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9500 Nikon D40 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Used lens, is this ok?
In reply to ordkhntr, 11 months ago

Scratches or marks like that on the front element of a lens rarely have an effect, except in flare prone situations. Use a lens hood to minimise that.

But if you are unhappy, send it back.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Carsten Pauer 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,347
Like?

Never seen so much Scratches on a Lens-Glass.
I would Send them back...

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 11 months ago

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

Never seen so much Scratches on a Lens-Glass.
I would Send them back...

Yeah I would be sending it back too.

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
chris102
Senior MemberPosts: 1,398Gear list
Like?

ordkhntr wrote:

I bought a used lens from BH and I received it today. I am kinda concerned about scratches on the lens and wanted to see if it is something I should be concerned about. It was rated as an 8+, any wear is suppose to be only cosmetic. Will these scratches be seen in the photos? Should I send it back? Is it no big deal?

Thanks for your help

RJ

Did ya get a good deal on it? Is it a rare lens you are unlikely to find again easily? Do you REALLY need it? 2 yes answers says keep it.  Like CFinn said, the scratches will not have much effect on the picture, but they may make you feel bad about the lens, so it's gonna be a personal decision.  I suspect that you want to send it back, or you wouldn't have gone to such trouble to illuminate the scratches and ask here.

-- hide signature --
 chris102's gear list:chris102's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB +3 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,307Gear list
Like?

ordkhntr wrote:

I bought a used lens from BH and I received it today. I am kinda concerned about scratches on the lens and wanted to see if it is something I should be concerned about. It was rated as an 8+, any wear is suppose to be only cosmetic. Will these scratches be seen in the photos?

That's REALLY easy to determine - take several photos in different lighting conditions & apertures.

Should I send it back? Is it no big deal?

Evaluate the pictures and decide for yourself whether or not 1) the scratches make a difference in the IQ and 2) you are comfortable with the scratches even if they don't show up in images.

Mark

Vegar Beider
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

ordkhntr wrote:

Thanks for your help

RJ

Hello ordkhntr!

Sorry about your lens! This article will give you an idea how scratches on a lens will be visible in photos.

http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

Regards

Vegar Beider's gear list:Vegar Beider's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7
ordkhntr
Like?
In reply to chris102, 11 months ago

Got a good deal.......$150 for it. It certainly isnt rare, and I could do without it. After reading that article it doesnt look like it would really affect the IQ. But I think I might still return it. It just isnt how I take care of stuff. Might look into a Tamron or other 3rd party lens.

Nikon Coolpix S9500 Nikon D40 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
ordkhntr
Like?

Forgot to mention.....The lens is the Nikon 18-105 3.5-5.6

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?

ordkhntr wrote:

Got a good deal.......It just isnt how I take care of stuff.

Good deal or not... I wouldn't carry anything that battered around. Better pay a higher price and get something more cared for.

You may or may not see effect of the scratches in your photos, but it certainly won't improve them.

I would send it back...

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads