RX10 Long Exposure

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jameswyatt
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?
RX10 Long Exposure
8 months ago

I'm just getting in to long exposures.  This is one of my first attempts.  I had a great subject but obviously I need more practice.

jameswyatt's gear list:jameswyatt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Biological_Viewfinder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,194
Like?
Re: RX10 Long Exposure
In reply to jameswyatt, 8 months ago

It looks funny to me.

I would suggest that you try f/6.3, ISO-400, connected to a remote using Bulb for about 60 seconds.

The reasoning here is that all lenses, including the $2000 full-frame f/2.8 lenses have "a sweet spot", and this is typically at around f/6.3 and everything should be sharper.

The remote will get your hands off the camera and it also allows you to shoot past 30 seconds. This is quite useful because starting with an aggressive ISO brings distortion in faster. Usually lots of distortion isn't as uniform as when ISO noise is less chaotic.

Think of ISO as a volume control on a stereo system; it doesn't take long for it to get too loud and once it does, there is so much distortion that tonal clarity is gone and whole sections of the sound spectrum begin to sound more and more like only noise instead of music.

If you start with a less distorted version and enhance it by time instead, then the distortion (noise) should be less obvious and in some cases nice enough to be viewed as a texture rather than a problem. In other cases noise can be reduced enough so that an image is acceptable.

A little controlled distortion is okay. We distort our pictures anytime we post-process them. As long as we don't take it too far, the result is more pleasing than the camera's original output.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,067Gear list
Like?

Keep going, you do all the work, I get to learn something about it, I never tried it either.

Curious, why that focal length? Was that for the end of the pier?

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bejersey
Forum ProPosts: 11,650
Like?
Set the RX10 at the lowest ISO

If you are using a tripod or other ways to secure the camera it's best to set the iso to 80.

Rick

elliottnewcomb
Like?
Re: Set the RX10 at the lowest ISO
In reply to Bejersey, 8 months ago

Bejersey wrote:

If you are using a tripod or other ways to secure the camera it's best to set the iso to 80.

Rick

Even with a tripod, I use self timer to avoid shutter button shake.

And, you can use the flash, cut it's strength way back, (menu, camera, pg 3, flash comp) and pull it back with your finger if you want to bounce it. Maybe to get a little light on more of the front of the decorations, Wait between shots, it needs a bit of time to recharge due to the small battery, otherwise, the flash strength will not be consistent.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

jameswyatt
Like?

Great advice all.  I really like thinking of ISO as volume on a radio (nice).  After the fact I was also thinking that I should have opened the aperture more and used the ND filter if it was needed.  I used the long focal to catch stars and airplanes.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Biological_Viewfinder
Like?

jameswyatt wrote:

Great advice all. I really like thinking of ISO as volume on a radio (nice). After the fact I was also thinking that I should have opened the aperture more and used the ND filter if it was needed. I used the long focal to catch stars and airplanes.

Also, any zoom lens has sweet spots as well. But this is more difficult to nail down. Some lenses are great only on 1 end, some like the Nikon 18-200mm are good at both ends but terrible from the middle toward the tele. Some like the Nikon 70-300mm are soft at the long end.

Until this lens is tested more, we won't know what it's strong and weak focal lengths are at. My guess was that you would be okay with your chosen focal length.

I would like to see you try this again James.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

elliottnewcomb
Like?

jameswyatt wrote:

Great advice all. I really like thinking of ISO as volume on a radio (nice). After the fact I was also thinking that I should have opened the aperture more and used the ND filter if it was needed. I used the long focal to catch stars and airplanes.

I read here that focusing on infinity/stars can be problematic, full zoom might not give good focus. As you have a tripod, and framing is not too exact, I would think Manual Focus would be the sure thing if something in the sky is bright enough.

others?

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 8 months ago

elliottnewcomb wrote:

jameswyatt wrote:

I read here that focusing on infinity/stars can be problematic, full zoom might not give good focus. As you have a tripod, and framing is not too exact, I would think Manual Focus would be the sure thing if something in the sky is bright enough.

others?

You're right. Ideally, get out there during or before twilight, so you can set up your focus while you can still see the camera. You could use a flashlight, but believe me when I say that it's just easier to get it right before dusk is done. Then set it for manual focus and leave it alone.

If you're already out in the dark, then it would be nice to know if just-before-infinity works well enough. That's been my experience, but I'll have to see if the Rx10 behaves the same.

-- hide signature --

jameswyatt
Like?
A couple more attempts.

Biological_Viewfinder
Like?
Re: A couple more attempts.

Thanks James. These are lots better.
I'm a bit concerned about the blue halos around the lights. The effect makes it look sort of like a negative or anti-light or something.

But that noise is back in control again. I just read a B&H purchase review where the photographer had the large noise you had on your original posted image; so I am relieved that you could adjust it out.

jameswyatt wrote:

-- hide signature --

MingTyh Maa
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 6 months ago

For a long exposure on AV, why does the RX10 not allow a shutter speed slower than 8 sec?  I have to go to full manual to set a shutter speed slower than 8 sec.

MingTyh Maa's gear list:MingTyh Maa's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
nannyg
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
In reply to jameswyatt, 6 months ago

For night-time shots you will see some star trails after about 15 seconds on close inspection & after about 30 seconds it becomes obvious. So if you want to avoid that, you will have to adjust your aperture and ISO to keep the shutter speed under about 15-20 seconds.

elliottnewcomb
Like?
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, 6 months ago

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

Thanks James. These are lots better.
I'm a bit concerned about the blue halos around the lights. The effect makes it look sort of like a negative or anti-light or something.

The Halo's of stationary objects? You might want them, but if you don't: Are you turning Steady Shot OFF for tripod shots, and starting with self timer shutter activation to avoid initial shake? Was it windy? On a bridge that moves? My tripod has a hook for extra weight to stabilize it for long shots, never tried it. You can fill a gallon bottle with water, dirt, whatever you can figure out to hook on there for stability.

But that noise is back in control again. I just read a B&H purchase review where the photographer had the large noise you had on your original posted image; so I am relieved that you could adjust it out.

jameswyatt wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads