Would you go... 12-40mm or 17mm + 45mm on EM-1?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Richard Lomas
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Would you go... 12-40mm or 17mm + 45mm on EM-1?
Dec 11, 2013

Hi all.

Looking to lean on some experience from the group here and get some general thoughts.

Using an EM-1:

Would you go with the new 12-40mm Pro zoom only...

..or a combo of primes, in my case the 17mm & 45mm (I realize this doesn't cover precisely the same range).

I keep reading how great people think the 12-40 is, but I'm curious "how great" relative to going with some primes to cover a similar range.

Thank you for your thoughts and please be easy on me!  I'm a 1st time poster!  

Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,234Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you go... 12-40mm or 17mm + 45mm on EM-1?
In reply to Richard Lomas, Dec 11, 2013

I have all three lenses. If I could have only one, I would take the 12-40 unless you really need the faster maximum aperture for low-light performance and can live with the fixed focal length. The lens renders out-of-focus areas beautifully, but of course has more DOF than the other two lenses. Also, the 12-40 is weathersealed, making it the logical choice for adverse conditions.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sbszine
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?
12-40 + 75/1.8 (n/t)

No text

sbszine's gear list:sbszine's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Jasonmon
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

I think it depends on yourself.

I have the 17mm & 45mm on my EM-5. I like 17mm f1.8's small size and focal length, and the focus speed is fast, and also f1.8, good for low light. I only use the 45mm sometimes.

When shooting for events, I prefer to have 1 lens that can zoom. You don't want to miss the moment when changing lens (unless you have 2 bodies, no need to worry about changing lens).

I don't have the 12-40mm now, but I would love to have one in future. And I'm still gonna keep my 17mm and 45mm, because of f1.8 and size.

If I were you, I would take the 12-40mm with EM-1, because of it's versatility and, it's weather sealed with the EM-1. The other 2 prime lens are not weather sealed.

-- hide signature --

My Speak Art blog.

Jasonmon's gear list:Jasonmon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Digitall
Regular MemberPosts: 411Gear list
Like?

Buy the 12-40 first and then the primes. Anyway, the 12-40 + 75mm is a good combo.

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,137Gear list
Like?

Richard Lomas wrote:

Hi all.

Looking to lean on some experience from the group here and get some general thoughts.

Using an EM-1:

Would you go with the new 12-40mm Pro zoom only...

..or a combo of primes, in my case the 17mm & 45mm (I realize this doesn't cover precisely the same range).

I keep reading how great people think the 12-40 is, but I'm curious "how great" relative to going with some primes to cover a similar range.

Thank you for your thoughts and please be easy on me! I'm a 1st time poster!

If you have any experience at all, you should go with what you already like. Everyone shoots differently and it makes no sense to try to adopt someone else's style to add a few lines of resolution to an image ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +16 more
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
always go primes
In reply to Torsten Hoff, Dec 11, 2013

Torsten Hoff wrote:

I have all three lenses. If I could have only one, I would take the 12-40 unless you really need the faster maximum aperture for low-light performance and can live with the fixed focal length. The lens renders out-of-focus areas beautifully, but of course has more DOF than the other two lenses. Also, the 12-40 is weathersealed, making it the logical choice for adverse conditions.

I have only one word for you: 1.8

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Bonsainz
Regular MemberPosts: 123Gear list
Like?

Go with the 12-40 to start fantastic lense then add what you want, This is what I have done now got the pani 20m 1.7 and the 60m macro.

Camera is the best that I have ever used and now selling my D600.

Bonsainz's gear list:Bonsainz's gear list
Leica C-LUX 1 Olympus E-M1
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,665Gear list
Like?

It's up to how you like to shoot.

I have the primes. I like primes and I want the fast aperture. They are small enough to carry several. That said, I will buy the zoom too at some stage. There are times when convenience and speed become a priority. For events where I don't want to miss a shot, or family travel where I don't want to keep them all waiting, having it all in one lens is an advantage.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,410Gear list
Like?
17 as the widest is somewhat limiting

Not having a long lens means you can crop and still maintain some detail (depending on how much you crop). Not having a wide lens means many scenes you simply cannot capture.

So independent of whether you feel the need for zoom like I do with primes you should cover something from 12mm onwards. 17 as the widest too often doesn't cut it for general use.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
oooooh - nice call, but
In reply to sbszine, Dec 11, 2013

My current 99% coverage kit is the 12-40 + Panasonic's 35-100. I was hoping the upcoming (next year) Olympus 40-150 2.8 would supplant the 35-100, but if we can believe first looks, it's just too big.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +9 more
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,028Gear list
Like?
+1 (nt)
In reply to Paul De Bra, Dec 11, 2013
-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +9 more
Brendan Delaney
Contributing MemberPosts: 648Gear list
Like?
Re: +1 (nt)
In reply to RealPancho, Dec 11, 2013

If YOU dont know whether YOU prefer a zoom or two primes, I can't help you.........

-- hide signature --

www.brendandelaneyphotography.com
Street, Urban and Documentary Photography

Brendan Delaney's gear list:Brendan Delaney's gear list
Leica M-Monochrom Leica M Typ 240 Leica APO-Summicron-M 75mm f/2 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to Torsten Hoff, Dec 11, 2013

Torsten Hoff wrote:

Agree 100%

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D600 Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?

Going with primes means you trade a bit of flexibility for size and speed. I've used primes almost exclusively all my life and find the risk of missing a shot due to not having the right focal length less than the risk of missing a shot due to the lens being too slow. YMMV, as always.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 11,214Gear list
Like?

I have these three lenses. The f1.8 of the 17 and 45 is nice in low light. Plus the shallow dof of the 45 f1.8 is nice. Still I end up using the 12-40 f2.8 most of the time and carry the PL 25/f1.4 for low light.

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +26 more
CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?

It seems like you should have a preference one way or another.

I have all three lenses. The 12-40 would probably be the logical choice, but I'd take the 17mm if I could have one. If the 45mm came with it, I'd take it, but I don't shoot long that much. To be honest I really like having the smaller size and I'd rather not carry around the 12-40 all the time.

I'm leaving a trip this Saturday for three and half weeks and all I'm taking with my E-M1 is the 12-40 and 17mm. Tempting to leave the 12-40 at home though.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +22 more
lambert4
Senior MemberPosts: 1,385Gear list
Like?
Which better suits your uses?

I think IQ you will be happy either way, but form factor in the primes is small and inconspicuous as well as low light you are talking 2 stops of light that is significant.  But if weather sealed was a selling point for you with your EM1 then the choice has to be the 12-40.

I personally am working to get the 12-40 and will most likely part with the 45/1.8 but I will keep my 17/1.8 I like the FL and did extensive shooting and looking at my images to see which FL was my most popular.  I sat between 15mm and 20mm predominantly.

Stand alone the 12-40 offers the most range and weather sealed.  I would recommend looking through your image library and seeing where your comfort zone is.

-- hide signature --

Here's to learning something new everyday, and remembering it the next.

lambert4's gear list:lambert4's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
JoanOfMay
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
In reply to CharlesTokyo, Dec 11, 2013

Hi, such questions are always interesting. What if ... . With my E-M1 I also bought the 12-40 (price reduction in combination with the E-M1) and used it on several outings (had to return it for exchange because of left-sided decentering, now waiting for its replacement) and loved it very much. It is really a wonder lens, I think, also because it focusses so close by. That is very valuable to me, the ability to go from close-up to infinity, and not just at one fl., but at all. It may be a bigger lens to hold, but if it is the only one you bring, well, should that matter. It is of course not as in-conspicuous as a 17mm 1.8 in black. Which also focusses close. And is f/1.8. I have that lens too and don't consider selling it at all, because I need it for musea and the likes. But on walks, give me a 12-40. Thanks. The 45 I had and already sold, because of this 12-40. I felt I didn't need that one any longer, but that is also because I have the 60 and 75. Still, even if I had not had these, I would have sold that 45. Never really liked it, actually prefer the 12-40 at 40, even though it isn't equally sharp at 40. Maybe even just because of that. It is nice at 40mm. I also have the 12mm, but I am inclined to say, that if one doesn't need its smaller size, the either f2 or f2.8 isn't a big deal, at least not for me. But indeed, for its smaller size for discreet indoor use, I shall keep it. And because I love it. It renders cooler then the 12-40, that is in jpeg. But a combination of 12-40 and a 17 is just wonderful, I think. It is all wonderful of course, the problem lies in limiting yourself if you can't afford it all. I never think not being able to bring it all in one time is not the problem: it is great to be able to choose from your arsenal what to bring. Happy choosing!:-)

JoanOfMay's gear list:JoanOfMay's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
SpikeT
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?

I did a quick comparison against some other MFT lenses here:

http://www.microfourthirds.info/2013/12/olympus-12-40mm-review/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads