Best prime for 60d, indoor/lowlight?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
mattakramer
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Best prime for 60d, indoor/lowlight?
8 months ago

I have a 60d and the canon 15-85mm. I like it but need something better for indoor shots with normal indoor lighting.

I was interested in the new sigma 30mm 1.4 when it was first announced but it sounds like reviews are mixed. Is that the best option for a low light prime or is there is something better that I should be looking at?

I don't think I would want anything more narrow than 30mm since I'll be using this for family shots indoor on a crop sensor.

I'd like to buy something this weekend so it's in by Christmas. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ktownbill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939
Like?
Re: Best prime for 60d, indoor/lowlight?
In reply to mattakramer, 8 months ago

mattakramer wrote:

I have a 60d and the canon 15-85mm. I like it but need something better for indoor shots with normal indoor lighting.

I was interested in the new sigma 30mm 1.4 when it was first announced but it sounds like reviews are mixed. Is that the best option for a low light prime or is there is something better that I should be looking at?

I don't think I would want anything more narrow than 30mm since I'll be using this for family shots indoor on a crop sensor.

I'd like to buy something this weekend so it's in by Christmas. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Look at the exif data of the images you've taken so far with your 15-85mm and let that be a starting point of what FL lens to get. 30mm on a crop is not very wide. I think your files will bear this out.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup

If you aren't looking for the narrow depth of field that a prime lens offers you can always stay with your 15-85mm and shoot high ISO. What is it about the 15-85 that you don't like? It is an excellent lens.

-- hide signature --

Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?

You seem to be a prime candidate for the fastest APS-C zoom lens in the world. Sigma 18-35/1.8 ART, that way you don't need to decide on a FL since this lens is considered to be an equal alternative to 18,20,24,30 and 35mm primes.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

mattakramer
Like?
In reply to wazu, 8 months ago

I like the 15-85 but it doesn't do a great job in low light especially moving people/pets indoors. I like its focal length range and IQ for outdoor shots.

I would like a more shallow depth of field for family pictures inside that the 15-85 doesn't offer.

Does the sigma zoom vs fixed 30mm deliver better quality less focus issues? It's quite a bit more expensive.

mattakramer
Like?

Bump

Chngster
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
In reply to mattakramer, 7 months ago

Hi Matt, any luck? I'm in the same position as you (70D + 15-85mm) and looking for a fast indoor/night prime with good DOF.

I really like the look of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, but am scared off by all the talk about back/forward auto focus issues that seems to be going around some forums.

In the end what did you go with?

Chngster's gear list:Chngster's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,251
Like?
Is it time to consider a 6D?
In reply to mattakramer, 7 months ago

mattakramer wrote:

I like the 15-85 but it doesn't do a great job in low light especially moving people/pets indoors. I like its focal length range and IQ for outdoor shots.

I would like a more shallow depth of field for family pictures inside that the 15-85 doesn't offer.

Does the sigma zoom vs fixed 30mm deliver better quality less focus issues? It's quite a bit more expensive.

I'm in sort of a similar position. I own a 60D and most of my photography is family events that are inside. Thus far, I depend on bounced flash because my fastest lens (17-55 f/2.8 IS) isn't fast enough to shoot with natural light, at a usable ISO.  (Well, I also have an EOS-M + 22 f/2.0 (no IS) but that is barely borderline, once you derate it because you can't jam it against your face to gain stability.)

I've seen several threads about FF vs. crop and frankly the FF adherents make a compelling case for situations like this:

1. 6Ds don't cost much more than high end crop cameras. Especially when they are on sale (which unfortunately isn't the case now. But they do go on sale periodically.)
  2. A 6D gives you approx. two more stops of high ISO.  Look at the ISO comparisons in the DPReview 60D camera review.  Set ISO to 6400, select the 6D as one of the other cameras and move the test point to somewhere dark.
  3. Midrange prime lense (50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8) aren't that expensive. But become super-powered when you give them two more stops of ISO. Compared to how they behave on a 60D.
  4. Shallow DOF...

I don't know.  A 6D + new lenses does cost money.  But I don't know if there is an affordable lens that will get a 60D to where you want to go.  This might explain why you never got many responses to your question.

Wayne

Jonathan Brady
Senior MemberPosts: 1,732Gear list
Like?
Re: Is it time to consider a 6D?
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 7 months ago

I've found with the M that I need about twice the usual recommended shutter speed to obtain sharp images. The M's effective focal length is about 35mm which means roughly a shutter speed of 1/70 for me. The usual recommendation for minimum shutter speed for portraits is 1/60. So, if you're following conventional wisdom for portraits (1/60), and your hand holding ability is similar to mine, the M should be fine.

Jonathan Brady's gear list:Jonathan Brady's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +12 more
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,251
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Brady, 7 months ago

Jonathan Brady wrote:

I've found with the M that I need about twice the usual recommended shutter speed to obtain sharp images. The M's effective focal length is about 35mm which means roughly a shutter speed of 1/70 for me. The usual recommendation for minimum shutter speed for portraits is 1/60. So, if you're following conventional wisdom for portraits (1/60), and your hand holding ability is similar to mine, the M should be fine.

The 22mm lens (35mm FF equiv.) lens is a bit wide for head shot portraits.   I still submit that it is tight trying to find a workable combination of lens, shutter speed, and ISO than works (without flash) in typical inside lighting when using a crop camera.   (Without posing.)   Speaking as a crop camera owner that doesn't own a (digital) FF camera.

Wayne

Jonathan Brady
Like?
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 7 months ago

Wayne Larmon wrote:

Jonathan Brady wrote:

The 22mm lens (35mm FF equiv.) lens is a bit wide for head shot portraits. I still submit that it is tight trying to find a workable combination of lens, shutter speed, and ISO than works (without flash) in typical inside lighting when using a crop camera. (Without posing.) Speaking as a crop camera owner that doesn't own a (digital) FF camera.

Wayne

Agree 100%.

Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +12 more
Kaso
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
In reply to Chngster, 7 months ago

Chngster wrote:

Hi Matt, any luck? I'm in the same position as you (70D + 15-85mm) and looking for a fast indoor/night prime with good DOF.

Chiming in... I use a Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM with my 70D and thoroughly enjoy its excellent performance for stills. I also use a Canon 35mm f/2 IS USM.

In the meantime, I dream about the 24mm f/1.4L II USM, 50mm f/1.2L USM and 85mm f/1.2L II USM.

mattakramer
Like?
In reply to Chngster, 4 months ago

Chngster wrote:

I really like the look of the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art, but am scared off by all the talk about back/forward auto focus issues that seems to be going around some forums.

In the end what did you go with?

Resurrecting this old thread. I'm leaning towards the sigma 35mm 1.4. It will give a good focal range on a crop for  indoors shots and the reviews seem stellar. after reading so me comments I do now wish I would have looked at full frame cameras but I didn't so I'm working with what will be best based in the 60d, plus if I get a FF later, the 35 will still be nice.

Is is there anything better than this lens or anything just as good but cheaper? I'm open to suggestions since this runs 899, but unfortunately it looks like the sigma 30mm isn't getting the same reviews and consistent focusing like the 35.

Thanks!

Rakumi
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,151
Like?
few years back, i chose canon 28mm 1.8
In reply to mattakramer, 4 months ago

I needed it for the same reasons as you.  Had to be wide as possible  because it was for indoor low light.  Also needed to be fast (1.8 or better) but with fast focusing.  Well upon doing research, i felt 28mm 1.8 was the best option.  I like reading at least 1 professional review, and at least 2 sets of customer reviews (usually amazon and bhphoto).

It has become my most used lens.  Not my general purpose lens but most used because we will all find ourselves visiting family or going to family functions and your wide prime will always be the answer for these task.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

Rakumi
Like?
35mm 2.0 IS
In reply to Rakumi, 4 months ago

Also check this lens out.  Came out way after i got the 28mm 1.8 and its price has dropped to about 90 bucks more than the 28mm 1.8 and both below the Sigma price.  The canon 35mm use to be even higher but at only a bit more than the 28mm, it is possibly canons best low light lens because of the image stabilization with such a large aperture.

-- hide signature --

Darkness is the monster and your shutter is your sword, aperture your shield and iso your armor. Strike fast with your sword and defend well with your shield and hope your armor holds up.

mattakramer
Like?
Re: 35mm 2.0 IS

Also check this lens out.  Came out way after i got the 28mm 1.8 and its price has dropped to about 90 bucks more than the 28mm 1.8 and both below the Sigma price.  The canon 35mm use to be even higher but at only a bit more than the 28mm, it is possibly canons best low light lens because of the image stabilization with such a large aperture.

-- hide signature --

From what I've read the sigma 35 appears to be significantly sharper than the canon 35 f2. I like the idea of having IS, I have it on my 15-85, but I'm not sure it will make a huge difference on indoor family shots. I could be wrong?

arty H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,007
Like?
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 4 months ago

I like the Canon 35f2 IS on my 60D for indoor low light portraits. It works great at F2, and there are very few instances where the light is not adequate witch this combination. I also,have the Canon 50 F1.4. It is also sharp, but I get a lot more use from the 35.

The 35 F2 IS is a very sharp lens, with fast and accurate AF.

Rakumi
Like?

IS on a slow lens adds little help for indoor people shooting.  I actually read just a moment ago that the 35mm IS is very sharp.  Also compare the prices.  I think i would go for the 35mm IS because i feel the benefit of fast lens with IS is rare.  You cant go wrong with either.

-- hide signature --

aramgrg
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?

6D with 35 IS is simply the best as of now, you can't beat it with any crop sensor and lens combination, at any price point. It will give you +2 more stops on your 60d+1.6x wider view. So if you need indoor performance, consider this option.

aramgrg's gear list:aramgrg's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC
Jonathan Brady
Like?

-- hide signature --

From what I've read the sigma 35 appears to be significantly sharper than the canon 35 f2. I like the idea of having IS, I have it on my 15-85, but I'm not sure it will make a huge difference on indoor family shots. I could be wrong?

I'm not sure where you read it was significantly sharper, but that would be an overstatement, IMO.

Is it sharper? Yeah. Are you EVER going to look at a well focused image from the 35mm f/2 IS USM shot wide open and wish it was sharper? Probably not.

As soon as the 35mm f/2 IS USM hits the Canon refurb store, I'm selling my 35 ART for it. I want the IS and smaller size/weight. I will miss the extra stop of light though.

mattakramer
Like?
In reply to Jonathan Brady, 4 months ago

-- hide signature --

I'm not sure where you read it was significantly sharper, but that would be an overstatement, IMO.

Is it sharper? Yeah. Are you EVER going to look at a well focused image from the 35mm f/2 IS USM shot wide open and wish it was sharper? Probably not.

As soon as the 35mm f/2 IS USM hits the Canon refurb store, I'm selling my 35 ART for it. I want the IS and smaller size/weight. I will miss the extra stop of light though.

Are you finding yourself getting blurry photos on the Sigma 35 from not having IS. My assumption was that the IS would make a difference on video but not so much on stills at that focal length. I have a friend who shoots the 35L without IS and haven't heard any negatives, but to be fair I've only shot a lens that has IS.

I like the idea of being able to get really shallow DOF with the sigma at 1.4.

What are the real world pros/cons of the canon 35 f2 vs sigma 35 1.4?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads