Best settingson RX100M2 for taking pics of Xmas tree

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
lilia24
Forum MemberPosts: 81Gear list
Like?
Best settingson RX100M2 for taking pics of Xmas tree
10 months ago

I purchased the Sony RX110II whit comes with free course , unfortunately it will be after the NYE and I woud love to take a nice pic of my Xmas tree.

Sadly all the settings I tried don't do it justice and it doesn't look as nice on the pic as in real life.

Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,381
Like?
Re: Best settingson RX100M2 for taking pics of Xmas tree
In reply to lilia24, 10 months ago

lilia24 wrote:

I purchased the Sony RX110II whit comes with free course , unfortunately it will be after the NYE and I woud love to take a nice pic of my Xmas tree.

Sadly all the settings I tried don't do it justice and it doesn't look as nice on the pic as in real life.

With Christmas trees one is usually trying to make the lights look good.  To do that, you have to underexpose the picture (make it darker) so that the lights stand out more.   Use the camera with the mode dial in the "P" position and try a couple of pictures with the exposure compensation set to -1 or -2 EV.   If you haven't changed the meaning of any of the function buttons then you should be able to choose the exposure compensation value by pressing the bottom of the control dial on the back of the camera.

Don't forget to change the exposure compensation back to "0" when you're done.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lilia24
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 10 months ago

Thank you so much!

Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,326Gear list
Like?
Different exposure yield different effects!

It is digital so try braketing your exposures so that you get what you want.  This is what is great about digital photography is that taking multiple shots at different settings cost nothing.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 6,577Gear list
Like?

Did you try again, and were you successful?

What types of shots are you trying for?

Lights, as suggested? Seeing the lights and decorations? Seeing the tree, decorations, and gifts below?

If still unsuccessful, let us know more about what you want, and perhaps post a few shots that didn't work, that is always helpful. You will get more specific answers. How familiar are you with setting various things?

Are you getting enough of the tree in focus?

I made a condensed guide, and a short 2 page 'learn rx100' guide, 13 pages total. It may help you prior to your camera course. If you want, send me a private message with your email  and I will send them along.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
lilia24
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 10 months ago

and this one with -1EV

I made some pics with -1 and -2 EV as recommended but it doesnt look as good as in real life still.

I'd like for the whole and all the ornaments to be on focus

this is taken with the smart auto

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,381
Like?

lilia24 wrote:

From the pictures you took, it looks to me like there's some image blurring due to camera shake.   Because of the dim light the camera is using a fairly low shutter speed of 1/30 of a second, and with that slow a shutter speed you have to take care to hold the camera steady and not move it as you press the shutter button down.

So I think you have two choices - either try harder to hold the camera steady (or rest it on something while taking the picture), or use a higher shutter speed.

To use a higher shutter speed, put the camera's mode dial to the "S" ("shutter priority") position, and then rotate the rear dial to set the shutter speed.   As you rotate the dial, the shutter speed will be highlighted in orange at the bottom left of the LCD screen (if you don't see it there, press the "Display" function [top of the control dial] until you see it).   I'd suggest a shutter speed of 1/60 or 1/125.   The camera will automatically raise the ISO value (sensitivity of the sensor) to compensate for the shorter exposure - that may make the picture look a little noisier.

Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?
Re: Different exposure yield different effects!
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 10 months ago

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

It is digital so try braketing your exposures so that you get what you want. This is what is great about digital photography is that taking multiple shots at different settings cost nothing.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Use timer and set the camera on a table if you don't have tripod and consider much longer exposure. Bracket from +3 to -3 in incremts of 1, use widest aperture to get lowest ISO possible. That gives you best IQ, and tripod or table with timer eliminates motion blur from camera.

Consider using the twilight or nighttime fill flash mode or whatever it's called on RX100, and turn regular lights off and just use Christmas lights. That can come out really lovely from the right distance.

Try some shots with bounce flash (tilting back the flash with finger or rubber band so it points at wall or celing instead of subject depending on orientation of camera) . I think the bounce with just auto ISO, with a tripod (use regular rubber band slipped over the flash and over the bottom corner of camera body to hold it, works very well) will likely give you best result, based on the tree & room you've shown.

ooooh, also if you want to take a cool one, turn out the lights, set auto ISO, and max aperture, use tripod and take picture just using just the light of the christmss lights this can sometimes look kind of cool

Rehabdoc
Like?
Re: Different exposure yield different effects!
In reply to Rehabdoc, 10 months ago

I really think your best bet is bounce flash and manual focus, and you can tweak it a bit better if you use a tripod and timer too, but probably not even necessary.

jonl9
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?

The problem I had was not with the lighting, it appeared the tree lights confused the focusing.  I finally set the camera to manual focus in the second menu of the 'camera' set of menus.  MF was the last mode.

The camera snaps to an enlarged image of where you wish to focus, manually focus with the ring and the camera goes back to your picture view and you get it, a razor sharp image.

This is one amazing camera!

Jon

jonl9's gear list:jonl9's gear list
Sony RX100 II Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +2 more
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,326Gear list
Like?
No flash
In reply to Rehabdoc, 10 months ago

Any flash would ruin the images in my opinion

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
BubbaHotepUK
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

A lot of the problem is that you've a large dark area (the tree) against a large, paler background.  The eye is very good at compensating in high contrast situations, but the camera isn't so good.

I'd put a dark sheet around the back of the tree, rest the camera on a table or chair, set to aperture priority mode, close the aperture down to f8 to maximise front to back sharpness and take a longer exposure shot, using the self-timer to prevent camera shake.

BubbaHotepUK's gear list:BubbaHotepUK's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +1 more
elliottnewcomb
Like?

lilia24 wrote:

and this one with -1EV

I made some pics with -1 and -2 EV as recommended but it doesnt look as good as in real life still.

Nice tree, you are getting there. You have more time, so, practice makes perfect. Make notes of what you try that works, because, when you get it right, and later, when gifts go under the tree, you are going to want to take more pictures.

For the best result, control of sharp focus, control of Deep Focus, various types of shots, bright, dim, bounced flash: you need a tripod, if you don't have one, I suggest you either borrow or buy one.

Physical Setup

You have worked hard on the tree, I suggest a few modifications to the tree and background. Get up there and get that nice star on the top of the tree. With the star at the top, you may need to cut a few inches off the top to make it look right. Get behind, and straighten the curtain on the right side so it hangs straight and covers the cord. Straighten the power cord and stuff the extra wire and plug strip below the tree out of sight. Later, with gifts below, you can cover the wire for the shot. Move the things in the foreground on both sides out for the shot. Finally, if you can take the shot from a bit more to the right, then where the power cord plugs into the wall will be out of sight. If not, it can be blurred out later in software.

Camera Setup

It is hard to know how much you know about changing the settings, so here is more than you might need:

Self Timer

with a tripod, shutter speed is no longer an issue, but, even with a tripod, using self timer avoids shutter button shake, so I would use self timer (menu, camera, page 2, drive mode, 2 sec self timer)

Depth of Focus

rx100 can give too shallow depth of focus, so, you will need to control the Aperture. The higher the F number, the deeper the focus. You want enough to get the tree in focus. This means you need to shoot in either A mode (top wheel) or M mode. A is easier, I would try that.

A Mode

You pick the Aperture by turning the rear wheel (see it change in orange on the info line at the bottom of the lcd) The camera then picks the correct shutter speed and ISO. Tripod allows slow shutter, which allows lower ISO, which gives the best picture. With a tripod, it is easy to try progressively higher F numbers to get what you want. Watch the curtains in the back in each shot., see how in/out of focus compared to the tree, pick the f # that you like best.

Lighting

Now, if you try different levels of lighting, using A mode with your chosen Depth of Focus, the camera will automatically set/adjust the exposure for you. Room lights On. Can you dim the room lights? If not, you can have a few people stand behind you, like a wall, so the light bounces off the ceiling onto the tree, and less gets in, so the tree lights show more. Same as A, you can try more or less blocking.

Flash

Now you can turn the room lights off. You can force the flash to fire, you can adjust the strength of the flash, and, you can pull the flash back to bounce it off the ceiling. When using a tripod, and bending the flash back, using self-timer, it is harder to hold steady.

flash on/off: menu, camera, page 2, flash mode

flash strength: menu, camera, page 3, flash comp, make weaker or stronger. it needs time between shots to recharge the flash. otherwise, the strength will not be consistent shot to shot.

Whew.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100 Olympus Stylus 1
Rehabdoc
Like?
Re: No flash
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 10 months ago

Greg Gebhardt wrote:

Any flash would ruin the images in my opinion

Greg
Jax, FL

Really?

You think a bounce flash is worse than the current, harsh, single bulb left-toplight that's in the picture right now, casting those sharp shadows of the ornaments on the floor at the base of the tree? With the bottom of the tree clearly darker than the top?

I believe a bounce flash off the ceiling is like using an umbrella and will likely give a far more "natural looking" soft lighting on the whole thing than the current, terrible, single bulb setup we're looking at in the pictures.

I'm all for "natural lighting", but the lighting here is worse than what a ceiling bounce would give you.

Don't think of it as flash. Think of it as replacing the current crappy lighting with a softer lighting.

At any rate, can't hurt to try bouncing the flash and taking some shots. What do we waste by trying? Film? 2% of the battery charge? 30 seconds of time?

lilia24 wrote:

When using a tripod, and bending the flash back, using self-timer, it is harder to hold steady.

When using tripod, bounce flash can easily be done with a single rubber band. Just rotate it back with your finger, Then just throw the rubber band over the top of the stalk, right below the flash itself and the other end of the rubber band loop over either side of camera body. I always keep a rubber band with my tripod now. It requires very little force to hold back and doesn't damage the flash unit.

lilia24
Like?

Thank you for all the tips... priceless...yes my hands are very shaky

elliottnewcomb
Like?