Just received my 5D III, cream dress is white

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
JAG007 Regular Member • Posts: 130
Just received my 5D III, cream dress is white

I have just received my new 5D III and am still playing around with it.  This dress is cream, but it appears white.  My WB was on auto and I only used natural light.  The walls of the room are light grey.  The ISO was 640 with a shutter speed of 1/500 at f4.  I dropped my shutter speed but it did not make much difference.  Any advice will be appreciated.

JAG007's gear list:JAG007's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
saralecaire Regular Member • Posts: 383
Re: Just received my 5D III, cream dress is white

It does look cream, perhaps you monitor's color balance is a bit off.

DBCossini
DBCossini Regular Member • Posts: 431

Yeah, looks cream to me as well.

DBCossini's gear list:DBCossini's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Boiler_Jack Regular Member • Posts: 137

It looks Cream Colored on my monitor as well-

Boiler_Jack's gear list:Boiler_Jack's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
JAG007 OP Regular Member • Posts: 130

Many thanks for your responses, I will see if I can get my Macbook Pro calibrated.

JAG007's gear list:JAG007's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +3 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 20,141
pink tone

On my calibrated monitor, it appears cream colored and the walls are indeed a light shade of gray. On my cheap uncalibrated monitor it appears white (slight pink tone maybe) and the walls looks a tad gray/blue.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

goosel
goosel Senior Member • Posts: 1,808
calibrated monitor

on my calibrated monitor the dress is cream and the WB looks OK.

PhotoKhan Veteran Member • Posts: 9,700

I have an Eizo CG243W, duly calibrated.

It shows cream, no doubt.

There seems to be a very, very light touch of blue cast in the WB.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

It also looks cream on my uncalibrated office monitor (Eizo FlexScan L768)    WB looks normal to me.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
bigdaddave Senior Member • Posts: 1,163
The advice is the same as ever

Shoot RAW and if possible include a color chart or something white or neutral grey and set the WB later on for max accuracy

Aussie Rod Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Re: The advice is the same as ever

it's cream and cool in temp..

AOKH
AOKH Senior Member • Posts: 2,675

qianp2k wrote:

It also looks cream on my uncalibrated office monitor (Eizo FlexScan L768) WB looks normal to me.

+2

-- hide signature --

Regards. Anders

AOKH's gear list:AOKH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +14 more
mistermejia Senior Member • Posts: 3,340

I am at work, and here on my cheap uncalibrated dell monitor it does look kind of white, i see some cream, but it is very light.  So it must be your monitor

mistermejia's gear list:mistermejia's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Grant Senior Member • Posts: 1,976

If you want correct colors use custom WB. It's not the camera.

Grant's gear list:Grant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +13 more
The Photo Ninja Senior Member • Posts: 2,239
Just warm it up a bit in post...

That's part of the art.

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 20,705

Take off the lens and shout into the opening, Hey, you dumbo automatic white balance system, smarten up.

Or learn the very basics of photography.

BAK

Zee Char Forum Pro • Posts: 10,882

NEC monitor calibrated using NEC SpectraView. Looks good to me as well.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter +3 more
waitformee
waitformee Regular Member • Posts: 194

BAK wrote:

Take off the lens and shout into the opening, Hey, you dumbo automatic white balance system, smarten up.

Or learn the very basics of photography.

BAK

haha.... I think the camera is thirsty, need to drink some water via that opening.

-- hide signature --

You take beautiful photos and I make beautiful memories for you.

waitformee's gear list:waitformee's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon Df
tim73
tim73 Regular Member • Posts: 446
Before recalibrating your screeen...

The eye is amazingly good at adapting to lighting conditions, so that objects appear the same colour whether lit by midday sun or by incandescent bulbs.  But set your camera's white balance to manual, and you'll see that the real colour of a scene can vary enormously.

So a paper print will look "right" under all kinds of lighting, because the colour balance of the light reflected from the print is the same as the ambient light.  However a computer screen is not reflective, and doesn't match its colour balance to the ambient lighting.  If the colour balance of the room does not match that of the monitor, then the eye will perceive shifted colours on the screen.  This is particularly noticeable with near-grey shades like your dress.

The solution is simple: make sure the computer screen is the dominant light source in the room, and put large grey borders around the photo so that your eye adapts to the colour balance of the screen.  This is why most photo software (and also this forum, presumably) has lots of grey around the loaded image.

Incidentally, calibrating your monitor will make its colour balance more consistent, so that dark greys are the same colour as light greys.  But it will not help it to match the ambient lighting.  In my experience most modern screens are pretty good even uncalibrated.  Cheaper laptop screens can show colour shift according to viewing angle, but this cannot be fixed by calibration.

MaxN Forum Member • Posts: 89

Just exactly what color is cream? It probably means a little yellow. But by the numbers the dress in this image has almost equal values RGB or CMY, tending to just a touch more Cyan. So I say the camera may have auto balanced it out to white for you.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads