Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm: First Limited Series Zoom Lens

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
wjwncpro_Ds
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,984
Like?
Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm: First Limited Series Zoom Lens
9 months ago

B&H is touting the Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm as a "First Limited Series Zoom Lens". If this is a first of series, what is the lineup for the rest of the "Limited Zoom Lens" series???

MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,718
Like?
Re: Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm: First Limited Series Zoom Lens
In reply to wjwncpro_Ds, 9 months ago

wjwncpro_Ds wrote:

B&H is touting the Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm as a "First Limited Series Zoom Lens". If this is a first of series, what is the lineup for the rest of the "Limited Zoom Lens" series???

An HD Pentax DA 40-80mm F2.8-4.0

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Demoguy
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Like?

wjwncpro_Ds wrote:

B&H is touting the Pentax HD Pentax DA 20-40mm as a "First Limited Series Zoom Lens". If this is a first of series, what is the lineup for the rest of the "Limited Zoom Lens" series???

Possibly the DA HD 24-85mm F2.8-4.5 LTD.

Demoguy's gear list:Demoguy's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Nikon D300 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +20 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,415Gear list
Like?
In reply to Demoguy, 9 months ago

Don't forget the DA 10 - 20 1.8 Ltd.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 9 months ago

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

A 10-20 range gets my vote, though it will need to be f4 to keep the size moderate.  Then the 40-80 followed by the 80-200, etc.

MightyMike
Like?
In reply to klimbkat, 9 months ago

klimbkat wrote:

ozdean wrote:

-- hide signature --

A 10-20 range gets my vote, though it will need to be f4 to keep the size moderate. Then the 40-80 followed by the 80-200, etc.

So a 10-20mm F4.5, a 20-40mm F2.8-4.0, a 40-80mm F2.8-4.0 and an 80-200mm???

The 80-200mm is a bit oddball... I suppose an 80-200mm F2.8-4.0 would work but an F4 constant is too similar to the 60-250mm F4 and an F4-5.6 is too similar to the 50-200mm F4-5.6

Alright i guess an 80-200mm F2.8-4.0 works or should it be an 80-160mm F2.8-4.0???

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

wjwncpro_Ds wrote:

The Limited series of lenses is comprised of the 15, 21, 31, 35, 43, 70 and 77 millimeter prime lenses, and now includes the 20-40mm zoom lens.

The 20-40 is the first time a zoom lens has been built to the Limited lens type, and this is all B&H is saying. Don't read any more into it than that.

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,591Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 9 months ago

Finally a serious answer! Everybody else is in April fool's mode today. Lol!

Recap: first Zoom of the Limited series

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
MightyMike
Like?

Bill Robb wrote:

wjwncpro_Ds wrote:

The Limited series of lenses is comprised of the 15, 21, 31, 35, 43, 70 and 77 millimeter prime lenses, and now includes the 20-40mm zoom lens.

The 20-40 is the first time a zoom lens has been built to the Limited lens type, and this is all B&H is saying. Don't read any more into it than that.

Party pooper

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193
Like?

First I've heard of it. Did a bit of research and test result seem to put it behind the larger, but less expensive sigma 18-35. Seems like pentax would have a larger market share if they came down to the lens price paradigm they had back in 2009. Small, well built lenses are not uncommon anymore, particularly those that sacrifice performance for size.

Omega_Leader
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, 9 months ago

Toccata47 wrote:

First I've heard of it. Did a bit of research and test result seem to put it behind the larger, but less expensive sigma 18-35. Seems like pentax would have a larger market share if they came down to the lens price paradigm they had back in 2009. Small, well built lenses are not uncommon anymore, particularly those that sacrifice performance for size.

These two lenses are so different it's amazing reviewers are comparing them. Just look at the size. The 20-40mm is a high end kit lens. The Sigma is a monster, a very nice monster but much more of a specialized lens.

Omega_Leader's gear list:Omega_Leader's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
Plakanina
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
In reply to Omega_Leader, 9 months ago

Omega_Leader wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

These two lenses are so different it's amazing reviewers are comparing them. Just look at the size. The 20-40mm is a high end kit lens. The Sigma is a monster, a very nice monster but much more of a specialized lens.

KIT LENS ? A kit lens  ( not always bad quality) is one that is inexpensive and is usually sold with camera body. The DA20-40 is no kit lens.

Plakanina's gear list:Plakanina's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,193
Like?
In reply to Plakanina, 9 months ago

Plakanina wrote:

Omega_Leader wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

KIT LENS ? A kit lens ( not always bad quality) is one that is inexpensive and is usually sold with camera body. The DA20-40 is no kit lens.

Kit lenses come in a kit and only limited edition kits have come with limited lenses as far as I'm aware.   So, this lens doesn't quite fit. An 30-60 equivalent zoom is a really weird range to go with. When was the last time you thought, geez, I really need a variable aperture short normal zoom when there are all these primes lying around?

Anyway, 18-35 is damn close to 20-30…certainly close enough to make a comparison. Yes, it weighs 1.75lbs but the range and speed make it more compelling for me. I would rather see pentax bring out something useful (for me), say a 28mm f1.8 lens, a decent up to date crop sensor normal. But then I would also have them bin the 31 too.

Leandros S
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
You forgot the 40 (nt)

Bill Robb wrote:

wjwncpro_Ds wrote:

-- hide signature --

No amount of perceived entitlement can replace actual expertise.

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,591Gear list
Like?
In reply to Plakanina, 9 months ago

Plakanina wrote:

Omega_Leader wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

KIT LENS ? A kit lens ( not always bad quality) is one that is inexpensive and is usually sold with camera body. The DA20-40 is no kit lens.

Like the Canon 24-105 f/4 L?

Or the Hassy 80/2.8?

I think they should have kitted it with the K3. There are many pros who are tired of lugging their 5Ds with 24-70...

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, 9 months ago

Toccata47 wrote:

Plakanina wrote:

Omega_Leader wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

Kit lenses come in a kit and only limited edition kits have come with limited lenses as far as I'm aware. So, this lens doesn't quite fit. An 30-60 equivalent zoom is a really weird range to go with. When was the last time you thought, geez, I really need a variable aperture short normal zoom when there are all these primes lying around?

What in the world does "only limited edition kits have come with limited lenses" mean?  There is no such thing in the recent Pentax world as a "limited edition kit" as far as I am aware nor is there any connection of particular bodies to particular limited-series lenses, thus, this lens is not a "kit lens" under even this "unusual" definition.  The term "kit lens" has a well-accepted meaning (basic, low cost, standard  lens).  This zoom covers two of the existing limited primes that each cost more than 50% of the 20-40.  If the IQ and rendition is roughly equivalent to the 21 and 40 (plus weather resistance), the cost seems well justified, particularly considering that your get 22-39 mm as a "bonus."  As for switching back and forth between those primes that are "lying around" in wind, cold, rain, snow, etc, my response is no thanks.  Horses for courses . . .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads