Like?
Re: Photos on Dpreview copyright?
In reply to Bill Robb, 11 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

Any way to upload a photo so others can't download them in galleries on this site?

Only upload as 72dpi and watermark. I have recently been shown how to save all images that are on the web and its TOO easy! I double watermark now.

Ummm, what good is 72 dpi going to do?

To the OP, if you post it to the internet, it is there for the taking. If you don't want it taken, don't post it.

Ho, Hum, here we go again another 'debate' about dpi...

The poster is confused, you seem to be trying to turn this into something it isn't. Why is that?

An image at 750x500px 72dpi,

The important part here is the 750x500 pixels. The 72dpi is meaningless.

72 dpi v's 300dpi does have meaning when you want to interpolate and print ..I don't see a 5x7 print as a threat.

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

Bill Robb wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Not sure why you felt a need to point that out, as from the rest of that post it should be pretty obvious that I understand the realities of the internet. Even so, it is not always immaterial. If a medium sized company in the U.S. were to steal some of your work, you do have a chance of getting some repayment, not a great one, but some chance at least. If it's a company from a lot of (but not all) other places, then yeah, copyright might as well not exist.

I pointed it out because people seem to get their panties all twisted about their copyrights, but then they put their images in places where they are begging people to lift them. If I leave my truck running with the keys in it and someone steals it, yes, my truck has been stolen, but my insurance won't cover it because I have exercised contributory negligence. Your copyright is only good if you can police it and enforce it. Good luck with that.

FYI If you go to: images.google.com and drag and drop an image from your computer into the search box, google will search to find a duplicate and list the websites it was found on. I'm not saying it can fully police the web, but it gives us a help at tracking down where our images may have ended up.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, 11 months ago

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

Any way to upload a photo so others can't download them in galleries on this site?

Only upload as 72dpi and watermark. I have recently been shown how to save all images that are on the web and its TOO easy! I double watermark now.

To the OP, if you post it to the internet, it is there for the taking. If you don't want it taken, don't post it.

The poster is confused, you seem to be trying to turn this into something it isn't. Why is that?

72 dpi v's 300dpi does have meaning when you want to interpolate and print ..I don't see a 5x7 print as a threat.

-- hide signature --

No, the number of pixels is all that matters. A 500 x 750 pixel file is a 500 x 750 pixel file no matter what dpi is assigned to it.

If you don't see someone lifting a file and printing it without your permission as a threat, you aren't taking this as seriously as you pretend to be.

Bill Robb
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Not sure why you felt a need to point that out, as from the rest of that post it should be pretty obvious that I understand the realities of the internet. Even so, it is not always immaterial. If a medium sized company in the U.S. were to steal some of your work, you do have a chance of getting some repayment, not a great one, but some chance at least. If it's a company from a lot of (but not all) other places, then yeah, copyright might as well not exist.

I pointed it out because people seem to get their panties all twisted about their copyrights, but then they put their images in places where they are begging people to lift them. If I leave my truck running with the keys in it and someone steals it, yes, my truck has been stolen, but my insurance won't cover it because I have exercised contributory negligence. Your copyright is only good if you can police it and enforce it. Good luck with that.

FYI If you go to: images.google.com and drag and drop an image from your computer into the search box, google will search to find a duplicate and list the websites it was found on. I'm not saying it can fully police the web, but it gives us a help at tracking down where our images may have ended up.

-- hide signature --

Except that it plain and simply doesn't work, and even if it did, most lifted images are just sitting on someone's hard drive.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 31,678
Like?

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

ttbek wrote:

-- hide signature --

Except that it plain and simply doesn't work, and even if it did, most lifted images are just sitting on someone's hard drive.

If they are just sitting on someone's hard drive, where is the problem?

-- hide signature --

Bob

Bill Robb
Like?
In reply to bobn2, 11 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

ttbek wrote:

-- hide signature --

This is a good question. Of the tens of millions of images that are uploaded to the net on a daily basis, I suspect that there are only a very small handful that are ever actually lifted and used for anything other than someone's wall paper.

If someone likes one of my pictures enough to do that with it, God bless them, it's one of the biggest compliments I can receive.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 31,678
Like?

Bill Robb wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

ttbek wrote:

-- hide signature --

This is a good question. Of the tens of millions of images that are uploaded to the net on a daily basis, I suspect that there are only a very small handful that are ever actually lifted and used for anything other than someone's wall paper.

If someone likes one of my pictures enough to do that with it, God bless them, it's one of the biggest compliments I can receive.

Exactly, and if you've put a little signature on it, everyone sees your name when they look at the wallpaper. It's a little piece of fame.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Clueless Wanderer
Like?

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

-- hide signature --

No, the number of pixels is all that matters. A 500 x 750 pixel file is a 500 x 750 pixel file no matter what dpi is assigned to it.

If you don't see someone lifting a file and printing it without your permission as a threat, you aren't taking this as seriously as you pretend to be.

So what's the answer? Leave all your images on your own hard drive's until the day you die? print them out and stick them on your wall and charge the public admission to see them?
If I want to make sales I have to put the images online.
Contrary to what you may believe, there is definitely no pretend to my copyright protection attitude as it took me two week's to develop my water marking system. I have double water mark's, the largest of which is made up of lightened AND darkened pixels, through 7 shades as an attempt to thwart water mark removal via pixel brightness adjusting and water mark removal software. I developed the water mark with these nasty programs in mind
There is only so far I can go without destroying the viewer's experience and this is the line I have drawn. If people want to go to all the trouble of water mark removal to be able to print 5x7 well that's not a threat to my wanting to sell that same image as 20x30 inch print. If they want to remove the watermark and use the image elsewhere online, then they are committing an offence under copyright law and also a separate offence by removing the watermark.

-- hide signature --
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,332Gear list
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are wrong about ppi (it is not dpi, by the way).  You aren't going to get a 300 ppi, 7x5 print with an image that starts out at 750x500.  Without interpolating, at best you'll get 100 ppi as it will have to be 1) cropped to 700x500 for the correct ratio and 2) 700 pixels divided by 7" is only 100 pixels.  So regardless of what the image is set to, there are only 100 pixels per inch to work with.  Sure, it can be interpolated but then you're working with pixels that weren't there to begin with and so there is detail lost.  It won't look as good as starting out with an image that is 2100 x 1500.

Mark

Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 11 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

I'm sorry, but you are wrong about ppi (it is not dpi, by the way). You aren't going to get a 300 ppi, 7x5 print with an image that starts out at 750x500. Without interpolating, at best you'll get 100 ppi as it will have to be 1) cropped to 700x500 for the correct ratio and 2) 700 pixels divided by 7" is only 100 pixels. So regardless of what the image is set to, there are only 100 pixels per inch to work with. Sure, it can be interpolated but then you're working with pixels that weren't there to begin with and so there is detail lost. It won't look as good as starting out with an image that is 2100 x 1500.

Mark

Even better (100ppi)  I never did the maths just referenced the 5x7 dimension from a previous posting on this thread.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads