Photos on Dpreview copyright?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
MrTravil
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Photos on Dpreview copyright?
10 months ago

Any way to upload a photo so others can't download them in galleries on this site?

MrTravil's gear list:MrTravil's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +2 more
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,386Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos on Dpreview copyright?
In reply to MrTravil, 10 months ago

MrTravil wrote:

Any way to upload a photo so others can't download them in galleries on this site?

There is a checkbox in member settings for allowing others to download original full size images from your gallery.  Not sure if it works, but probably not relevant currently since its been difficult or impossible to upload any image into a gallery of more than 5MB in size for the last two weeks.  In reality, there is almost always a way to download anything that is on the web.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,110Gear list
Like?

Screen shot on iPhone and iPad impossible to stop.
--
Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,223Gear list
Like?

MrTravil wrote:

If you can view an image on the web, there is a way to save it onto a computer. Anything designed to stop this is fairly trivial to overcome.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
Graham Meale
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?

Only upload small, lower-resolution versions of your images. If you want to show off the resolution also upload a small 100% crop. That's what I do.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

MrTravil wrote:

Only upload as 72dpi and watermark. I have recently been shown how to save all images that are on the web and its TOO easy! I double watermark now.

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,305
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, 10 months ago

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

Only upload as 72dpi and watermark. I have recently been shown how to save all images that are on the web and its TOO easy! I double watermark now.

-- hide signature --

Any decent retoucher can get rid of a watermark. My policy is only to put images on the web that you can expect to be copied. I have many photographs in my collection that are very interesting and would add interests to posts here, but I don't show them. You will never see my best or most interesting work here sadly.

chris102
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382Gear list
Like?

MrTravil wrote:

If you don't want it downloaded either 1) don't upload it, or 2) just make crappy photos, so no one will want it.

-- hide signature --
 chris102's gear list:chris102's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB +3 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,090Gear list
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

Only upload as 72dpi

Irrelevant. If you upload, for example, a 12mp image that's 4000 x 3000 pixels it's still 4000 x 3000 regardless of the dpi setting.  Better to upload only very small images, say no larger than 640 or 800 on the long edge.

and watermark. I have recently been shown how to save all images that are on the web and its TOO easy! I double watermark now.

Watermarks can be a good deterrent, unless they interfere with the image overall.  As Jules said though, a determined thief that's good with editing may still remove it.

Mark

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,584
Like?

MrTravil wrote:

If you didn't want them downloaded, why are you putting them on a public forum?

The point of copyright is protecting your commercial interest in an image. If you're already offering viewing of those images to people on the web for free, you've effectively put a zero value on them - so if you had a case of copyright violation, you'd have a difficult job claiming damages, because the infringers action has lost you no income. If you wish to monetise your images, you should see galleries such as this as teasers - that is, don't upload full resolution or raw files to galleries - then people who see your images and want to use them will come to you for the full monty.

If you don't want to monetise them and just want the recognition, why not attache a Creative Commons  license, so that when the image is used, you'll get the credit.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

Ummm, what good is 72 dpi going to do?

To the OP, if you post it to the internet, it is there for the taking. If you don't want it taken, don't post it.

ttbek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

Well, most people here have been addressing the practicality, but I would point out that whether a photo is on dpreview or not has basically 0 impact on it's copyright status.  At least I don't recall seeing terminology from dpreview saying that by posting you release the photo to public domain or anything like that.  Screenshots can't really be stopped from just about any computer (not just mobile devices as someone's post may have been misinterpreted).  They are usually quite low resolution though, as most people don't have displays > 1920x1080.  Maybe a more practical option for you would be to post them on a site that supports those features (preventing download, watermarking, lower display size, and even a few different licensing options) more fully (like Deviant Art) and link to them here.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Bill Robb
Like?
In reply to ttbek, 10 months ago

ttbek wrote:

Well, most people here have been addressing the practicality, but I would point out that whether a photo is on dpreview or not has basically 0 impact on it's copyright status.

Copyright status is immaterial.

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bill Robb, 10 months ago

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

To the OP, if you post it to the internet, it is there for the taking. If you don't want it taken, don't post it.

Ho, Hum, here we go again another 'debate' about dpi...
An image at 750x500px 72dpi, double water marked isn't going to stop it being copied/used on the internet, but it's useless for print of any decent size and hopefully it would be seen as not worth the effort to remove the water mark's for what the finished product is worth. There are far better images out on the web up for grab's that are worth the effort, or are not watermarked at all..

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Mark B.
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

An image at 750x500px 72dpi, double water marked isn't going to stop it being copied/used on the internet, but it's useless for print of any decent size and hopefully it would be seen as not worth the effort to remove the water mark's for what the finished product is worth. There are far better images out on the web up for grab's that are worth the effort, or are not watermarked at all..

You missed the point about ppi.  Whether your 750x500 pixel image is set at 72ppi or 300, it's still just a 750x500 pixel image.  If someone were to steal it, the largest they could print it at 300ppi - irrespective of the pixel per inch setting - is 2-1/2" x 1-2/3".  On the other hand, it could also be printed at 200ppi at a size of 3-3/4" x 2-1/2".  The pixels are still there to work with; it doesn't matter what the ppi setting is.

Mark

ttbek
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

Not sure why you felt a need to point that out, as from the rest of that post it should be pretty obvious that I understand the realities of the internet.  Even so, it is not always immaterial.  If a medium sized company in the U.S. were to steal some of your work, you do have a chance of getting some repayment, not a great one, but some chance at least.  If it's a company from a lot of (but not all) other places, then yeah, copyright might as well not exist.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +9 more
Bill Robb
Like?

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

The poster is confused, you seem to be trying to turn this into something it isn't. Why is that?

An image at 750x500px 72dpi,

The important part here is the 750x500 pixels. The 72dpi is meaningless.

Bill Robb
Like?
In reply to ttbek, 10 months ago

ttbek wrote:

Not sure why you felt a need to point that out, as from the rest of that post it should be pretty obvious that I understand the realities of the internet. Even so, it is not always immaterial. If a medium sized company in the U.S. were to steal some of your work, you do have a chance of getting some repayment, not a great one, but some chance at least. If it's a company from a lot of (but not all) other places, then yeah, copyright might as well not exist.

I pointed it out because people seem to get their panties all twisted about their copyrights, but then they put their images in places where they are begging people to lift them. If I leave my truck running with the keys in it and someone steals it, yes, my truck has been stolen, but my insurance won't cover it because I have exercised contributory negligence. Your copyright is only good if you can police it and enforce it. Good luck with that.

Bill Robb
Like?
In reply to Mark B., 10 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

You missed the point about ppi. Whether your 750x500 pixel image is set at 72ppi or 300, it's still just a 750x500 pixel image. If someone were to steal it, the largest they could print it at 300ppi - irrespective of the pixel per inch setting - is 2-1/2" x 1-2/3". On the other hand, it could also be printed at 200ppi at a size of 3-3/4" x 2-1/2". The pixels are still there to work with; it doesn't matter what the ppi setting is.

With the interpolative routines out there now, you don't need much more than 750x500 to make a half decent 5x7 print, as long as the image isn't fine detail oriented.

Mark B.
Like?

Bill Robb wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

MrTravil wrote:

You missed the point about ppi. Whether your 750x500 pixel image is set at 72ppi or 300, it's still just a 750x500 pixel image. If someone were to steal it, the largest they could print it at 300ppi - irrespective of the pixel per inch setting - is 2-1/2" x 1-2/3". On the other hand, it could also be printed at 200ppi at a size of 3-3/4" x 2-1/2". The pixels are still there to work with; it doesn't matter what the ppi setting is.

With the interpolative routines out there now, you don't need much more than 750x500 to make a half decent 5x7 print, as long as the image isn't fine detail oriented.

Good point; I just wanted Clueless to understand the the ppi doesn't matter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads