X-E1 focusing

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
wysiwygsnapper
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
X-E1 focusing
8 months ago

is it just me that's having focus issues with the X-E1. manually focusing using the 18-55mm gives a sharper image? Is anybody having a similar problem? updated body driver to 2.0 and lens driver to 3.0. That did not cure it.

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Zimmer
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to wysiwygsnapper, 8 months ago

I often notice that my X-E1 will mis focus if I use spot focus and the spot happens to be between the two people I am trying to take a picture of. The solution I found is to set the function button on top near the shutter to select either area or spot focus, and to select area focus which seems to try to focus on the nearest thing it finds in the scene instead of the exact center of the scene when i am taking pictures of people. Having this on the function button makes it easy to switch back and forth as I'm shooting.

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abelits
Contributing MemberPosts: 675Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to Tom Zimmer, 8 months ago

Tom Zimmer wrote:

I often notice that my X-E1 will mis focus if I use spot focus and the spot happens to be between the two people I am trying to take a picture of. The solution I found is to set the function button on top near the shutter to select either area or spot focus, and to select area focus which seems to try to focus on the nearest thing it finds in the scene instead of the exact center of the scene when i am taking pictures of people. Having this on the function button makes it easy to switch back and forth as I'm shooting.

A much easier solution is pre-focus and re-compose -- focus (half-press the shutter in autofocus mode or press AF-L in manual mode) while the focus area is on the object you are focusing on, then shift the camera to frame the scene. If you have time, a more precise solution is to move the focus area itself (down arrow, then arrows to move the area, wheel to change the size). In both cases it helps to keep the focus area small.

 abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to wysiwygsnapper, 8 months ago

Which AF mode are you using?

Personally I find Multi as useful as a chocolate teapot. It looks for a high contrast area somewhere in the picture, so often picks the wrong bit. I gave up on it very quickly.

The only reliable way I've found is to get the focus rectangle on the place you want to focus, either by shifting the focus point or by using half press to lock the focus and then recomposing.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

 AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Zimmer
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to abelits, 8 months ago

abelits wrote:

Tom Zimmer wrote:

I often notice that my X-E1 will mis focus if I use spot focus and the spot happens to be between the two people I am trying to take a picture of. The solution I found is to set the function button on top near the shutter to select either area or spot focus, and to select area focus which seems to try to focus on the nearest thing it finds in the scene instead of the exact center of the scene when i am taking pictures of people. Having this on the function button makes it easy to switch back and forth as I'm shooting.

A much easier solution is pre-focus and re-compose -- focus (half-press the shutter in autofocus mode or press AF-L in manual mode) while the focus area is on the object you are focusing on, then shift the camera to frame the scene. If you have time, a more precise solution is to move the focus area itself (down arrow, then arrows to move the area, wheel to change the size). In both cases it helps to keep the focus area small.

I agree, and normally I just focus on a spot, and reposition the camera to take the shot, BUT. I have had several occasions when I have needed to hand the camera to someone else to take the picture, and in that case selecting Multi is much more likely to end up with a shot in focus "IF" they are shooting people.

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to wysiwygsnapper, 8 months ago

Contrast detection autofocus is always spot on.  Just make sure that what you think you're focusing on is what the camera has focused on.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Zimmer
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to AlbertInFrance, 8 months ago

AlbertInFrance wrote:

Which AF mode are you using?

Personally I find Multi as useful as a chocolate teapot. It looks for a high contrast area somewhere in the picture, so often picks the wrong bit. I gave up on it very quickly.

The only reliable way I've found is to get the focus rectangle on the place you want to focus, either by shifting the focus point or by using half press to lock the focus and then recomposing.

In general I agree, but if you "the photographer" are asked by the "subject" to "here let me take your picture", then I find that Multi AF is much more likely to get a shot in focus than spot which will often be pointed at something in the background when they press the shutter.

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to wysiwygsnapper, 8 months ago

Note that another thread has decided that battery level can affect focusing with the 18-55 zoom; a fully-charged battery will nail it a lot more than a battery at 2/3 indication (and don't even think about it "in the red").

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52675538

 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to Tom Zimmer, 8 months ago

Tom Zimmer wrote:

AlbertInFrance wrote:

Which AF mode are you using?

Personally I find Multi as useful as a chocolate teapot. It looks for a high contrast area somewhere in the picture, so often picks the wrong bit. I gave up on it very quickly.

The only reliable way I've found is to get the focus rectangle on the place you want to focus, either by shifting the focus point or by using half press to lock the focus and then recomposing.

In general I agree, but if you "the photographer" are asked by the "subject" to "here let me take your picture", then I find that Multi AF is much more likely to get a shot in focus than spot which will often be pointed at something in the background when they press the shutter.

For me it hardly ever happens. But then I seldom photograph strangers.

If you get it a lot maybe you should carry a little P&S just for this. I don't like the idea of handing my main camera to a random stranger and for friends and family I can brief them to get my head in the focus target rectangle.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

 AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tom Zimmer
Regular MemberPosts: 372
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to AlbertInFrance, 8 months ago

AlbertInFrance wrote:

Tom Zimmer wrote:

AlbertInFrance wrote:

Which AF mode are you using?

Personally I find Multi as useful as a chocolate teapot. It looks for a high contrast area somewhere in the picture, so often picks the wrong bit. I gave up on it very quickly.

The only reliable way I've found is to get the focus rectangle on the place you want to focus, either by shifting the focus point or by using half press to lock the focus and then recomposing.

In general I agree, but if you "the photographer" are asked by the "subject" to "here let me take your picture", then I find that Multi AF is much more likely to get a shot in focus than spot which will often be pointed at something in the background when they press the shutter.

For me it hardly ever happens. But then I seldom photograph strangers.

If you get it a lot maybe you should carry a little P&S just for this. I don't like the idea of handing my main camera to a random stranger and for friends and family I can brief them to get my head in the focus target rectangle.

I don't know if you have seen my blog; http://photobubba.com but here is a shot to give you a sense of how many "friends" I have. I don't think I will be training all of them how to use my camera. There are hundreds. I guess this is one of the "features' of being an event photographer.

have a great week,

They are waving at me.

-- hide signature --

Tom Zimmer
http://photobubba.com/
Fuji X-E1, Sony A77
And my old friends - Sigma DP2, SD10, SD14

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
theNeverKings
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to dual12, 8 months ago

Hi.

dual12 wrote:

Contrast detection autofocus is always spot on.

That's what they'd like us to believe. I recently did an impromptu test between the XE1 and my D7000. I was interested in seeing the difference in image quality. I was (unpleasantly) surprised at how often the XE1 missed focus. The Nikon nailed it every time.

Come to think of it, others might be interested in my results so I'll post the results of my labours a bit later.

Just make sure that what you think you're focusing on is what the camera has focused on.

Hard to be certain due to the limited magnification ratio on the XE1.

Cheers.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wysiwygsnapper
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to 57LowRider, 8 months ago

just FYI, I had just fully charged the battery when I tested focusing on my x-e1. good reminder. noted.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wysiwygsnapper
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to Tom Zimmer, 8 months ago

All you guys have brought forward good suggestions that I need to try out before my next trip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to theNeverKings, 8 months ago

I've used contrast detect autofocus for 10 years.  It's never failed.  In my experience, if the focus isn't correct, one of the following occurred:

The camera wasn't focused on what the user wanted

The subject moved

The camera moved

None of the above are the fault of the camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wysiwygsnapper
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 focusing
In reply to wysiwygsnapper, 8 months ago

After further testing, triggered by all of you suggestions, I have found that the best way to accurately focus will be to use the AE & AF Lock button in the back to trigger the autofocus. The result is better than what I can obtain manually.  Obviously, the M/C/S  lever in the front has to be set to M(anual).

Having said that, here is something else I found. When the AE/AF Lock button is set to AF only in the menu, the auto focusing using the button behaves the same way as the trigger when it is half-way pressed. Knowing a little about software programming, what I suspect is that there are two different subroutines for autofocusing or that the autofocus needs the exposure routine to properly do the contrast detection.

In any case, am temporarily happy with my setup now and am ready for my next photo trip.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads