Is Sigma 60mm lot sharper than Sony 50mm at f2.8 ?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
gamarala
Regular MemberPosts: 133
Like?
Is Sigma 60mm lot sharper than Sony 50mm at f2.8 ?
Dec 11, 2013

I hear Sigma 60mm is the sharpest of Sigma lenses for NEX but lack of stabilization concerns me. It is said to be sharper than 30mm which according to Lensrental is shaper than 50mm.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/nex-7-lens-imatest-resolution-comparison

BlueBomberTurbo
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?
Re: Is Sigma 60mm lot sharper than Sony 50mm at f2.8 ?
In reply to gamarala, Dec 11, 2013

From Photozone.de:

The Sigma lenses are just ridiculous in sharpness.  Not only is the 60 sharper wide open than the 50 stopped down to 2.8, the 60's corners are sharper than the 50's center, both stopped down to their sharpest aperture. As far as image stabilization, it's all up to your ability. None of my Nikon and NEX lenses have stabilization, and I don't have any issues. If you have one of the NEXs with the electronic first curtain shutter, you can handhold at even lower shutter speeds than a standard mechanical first curtain shutter.

BlueBomberTurbo's gear list:BlueBomberTurbo's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

I hear Sigma 60mm is the sharpest of Sigma lenses for NEX but lack of stabilization concerns me. It is said to be sharper than 30mm which according to Lensrental is shaper than 50mm.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/04/nex-7-lens-imatest-resolution-comparison

Sigma 60mm/2.8 DN is a fanrastic lens. I got to try it at Sigma's booth at an expo using my NEX-3. If I didn't already have the superb Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG macro (which also serves as a portrait lens), I would definitely consider it. Lack of stabilization does not bother me much as I prefer to keep shutter speed up for most practical purposes and have 35/1.8 for low light duties, but if that is a consideration, you are not going to find another optically stabilized 50mm lens as the Sony is. But for low light considerations, 50mm makes its case better.

Either way, one has an inexpensive, winning lens. With 50/1.8, I wish it were a 55 or 60mm lens instead, even if f/2. At 50mm, it is too close to my general purpose lens: 35/1.8.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492
Like?
Interesting data. Too sharp for some uses?
In reply to BlueBomberTurbo, Dec 11, 2013

I consider the SEL 50mm to be excellent.  I have tested a ton of MF lenses and the SEL 5018 is sharper and with better bokeh than any of them (except a macro lens but that only goes to 3.5).  So the Sigma 60 being sharper still than the SEL 50 is amazing, but credible.

However, for portraits of adults, as opposed to children, sharpness has its value limits and I think the SEL5018 easily exceeds those limits.  Adults just don't want to see their skin in super sharp display, with all its wrinkles and flaws, is my experience, common with what others have found. I have recently found myself experimenting with softening techniques in PP for this reason.

To net it out, I'd say it depends on whether you'd rather have a slightly longer lens or not, or if you shoot video where the IS counts for more.  The SEL 5018 is plenty sharp enough for most uses.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
I just ordered

I just ordered the Sigma 60 last saturday to be my portrait lens. I had been debating it but when I found this mini review I was sold

NEX-7 portraiture with the Sigma 60mm f/2.8

the samples in the review have received some retouching, but no sharpening was added and I always do a bit of retouching anyway so for me this was a good example of what I can expect

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,168
Like?
Sharpness is over rated. How sharp does a lens have to be to resolve hair?
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

edwardaneal
Like?
Re: Sharpness is over rated. How sharp does a lens have to be to resolve hair?
In reply to Jerry R, Dec 11, 2013

Jerry R wrote:

-- hide signature --

I disagree - almost anything can be done in post processing to adjust for flaws a lens might have, but the one thing you can never do is add resolution - if the lens didnt resolve it in the first place there is no way to get it back.

Qualities to look for in a lens - by Thom Hogan

tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864Gear list
Like?
DXOmark is also useful for comparing lenses
In reply to edwardaneal, Dec 11, 2013

The Dxomark single number score is limited, but Measurements\Sharpness\Field Map is pretty useful.

At f2.8 the Sigma is sharpest, but the Sony is very good as well.

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 3,171Gear list
Like?

Sigma 60mm DN is my favourite portrait lens on a NEX camera. Now if Sigma can rework it for FF E mount and add OS while still keep the size down (not asking much huh?). From what I see it is usable on FF but a baffle at the rear occults some of the image. About 7MP of info off the corners on an A7. Viking79 says the baffle can be removed but travel at your own risk since extra lens flare might be involved.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
jtr27
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Dec 11, 2013

I have all three Sigmas, and the 60 is my favorite. Love it on my 5n.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtr27/sets/72157636769939994/

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to Petroglyph, Dec 11, 2013

Sigma 60mm DN is my favourite portrait lens on a NEX camera. Now if Sigma can rework it for FF E mount and add OS while still keep the size down (not asking much huh?). From what I see it is usable on FF but a baffle at the rear occults some of the image. About 7MP of info off the corners on an A7. Viking79 says the baffle can be removed but travel at your own risk since extra lens flare might be involved.

Cheers.

Sigma and OS are a rare combination with prime lenses on any mount. In fact there are only three Sigma primes with OS (and all three are long macro lenses: 105, 150 and 180).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
El Matadurr
Senior MemberPosts: 4,986Gear list
Like?
In reply to jtr27, Dec 12, 2013

jtr27 wrote:

I have all three Sigmas, and the 60 is my favorite. Love it on my 5n.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtr27/sets/72157636769939994/

Some great photos in that album, jtr27.

matthewdurrphotography.com

El Matadurr's gear list:El Matadurr's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,684Gear list
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Dec 12, 2013

edwardaneal wrote:

Jerry R wrote:

-- hide signature --

I disagree - almost anything can be done in post processing to adjust for flaws a lens might have, but the one thing you can never do is add resolution - if the lens didnt resolve it in the first place there is no way to get it back.

A portrait photographer may have higher priorities other than sharpness for his lens of choice. Such as color rendition, quality of bokeh, subject isolation.

What are the most preferable portrait lenses for the NEX-APS-C, in both AF and manual classes?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
edwardaneal
Like?
In reply to captura, Dec 12, 2013

captura wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Jerry R wrote:

-- hide signature --

A portrait photographer may have higher priorities other than sharpness for his lens of choice. Such as color rendition, quality of bokeh, subject isolation.

I am a portrait photographer - color I can adjust, bokeh I can adjust, subject isolation - I can adjust.

A soft lens - - I am dead

you tell me do I do okay with the sharp lenses I have had?

look at the eyes - especially on number 2 and 4 - - I can always make the skin soft if I need to, but I can never add resolution

captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,684Gear list
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Dec 12, 2013

edwardaneal wrote:

captura wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

Jerry R wrote:

-- hide signature --

I am a portrait photographer - color I can adjust, bokeh I can adjust, subject isolation - I can adjust.

A soft lens - - I am dead

you tell me do I do okay with the sharp lenses I have had?

look at the eyes - especially on number 2 and 4 - - I can always make the skin soft if I need to, but I can never add resolution

You have convinced me! Maybe it was an "Urban Myth."

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads