1st try at wifes linkedin profile pic

Started 7 months ago | Photos
rska2013
Regular MemberPosts: 443
Like?
1st try at wifes linkedin profile pic
7 months ago

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340Gear list
Like?
Re: 1st try at wifes linkedin profile pic
In reply to rska2013, 7 months ago

Greetings,

one of my hobbies is reverse engineering other peoples shots so I can figure out what they did and how that interacts with what I might like or not so much like about the image.

She looks well exposed with a umbrella providing key light on the left and likely a hotshoe flash providing trigger (for the key) as well as fill. Some folks have issues with seeing multiple catch lights but they appear fairly close and are not bothersome to me. This looks like a 2:1 ratio.

I like the gold necklass and earring play into the color of her hair. She appears to fit in your DOF and is in focus.

The areas that might look better with some changes are the framing, background, posing and maybe the red outfit.

You currently have her slightly right of center and IMHO she would look better slightly left of center putting any free/empty space in front of her instead of behind. The background appears to be a sheet, we can see distracting wrinkles in it and maybe a different color (blue?) or other color which might complement the red outfit might work better than the grey. Looking at her I think shes sitting, with her hands clasped on her lap in front of her and is sloutching, with her shoulders forward and seems to have her head tilted down?

With her shoulders forward it makes her body shape smaller compaired to her head. (or maybe its just 'big hair') Cruse real estate or Linked in profile photos and you'll likely see this pose. (posing and directing are a few of my weak areas)

A different background and framing might make this a better image.

Thanks for sharing, how close did I get?

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280Gear list
Like?

To make the picture come more alive, I would suggest you used a rim and/or hairlight. Mbloof is right in that the background is wrinkled. I usually advice my models to wear something which does not distract attention from their face, bright red does.

To get a better pose, the model should sit straigth, maybe lean a little forward. The photographer should not look down on his subject, so lens and model's eyes should be on the same level.

I have recently taken a few LinkeIn profile portraits, this latest is of a person I never met before the shoot:

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
rska2013
Like?
In reply to mbloof, 7 months ago

mbloof wrote:

Greetings,

one of my hobbies is reverse engineering other peoples shots so I can figure out what they did and how that interacts with what I might like or not so much like about the image.

She looks well exposed with a umbrella providing key light on the left and likely a hotshoe flash providing trigger (for the key) as well as fill. Some folks have issues with seeing multiple catch lights but they appear fairly close and are not bothersome to me. This looks like a 2:1 ratio.

correct , umbrella on left and yes i used pop up flash to trigger on lowest output and i had another umbrella behind her at a extend high and pointing down on her

I like the gold necklass and earring play into the color of her hair. She appears to fit in your DOF and is in focus.

agree thank you

The areas that might look better with some changes are the framing, background, posing and maybe the red outfit.

i agree here also , see the next outfit we did

You currently have her slightly right of center and IMHO she would look better slightly left of center putting any free/empty space in front of her instead of behind. The background appears to be a sheet, we can see distracting wrinkles in it and maybe a different color (blue?) or other color which might complement the red outfit might work better than the grey. Looking at her I think shes sitting, with her hands clasped on her lap in front of her and is sloutching, with her shoulders forward and seems to have her head tilted down?

it was a grey backdrop and yes i need a steamer.. we tried leaning forward and every which way and turned her around on a stool....posing is tough when doing family they hate being told what to do as they are not paying  customers.

With her shoulders forward it makes her body shape smaller compaired to her head. (or maybe its just 'big hair') Cruse real estate or Linked in profile photos and you'll likely see this pose. (posing and directing are a few of my weak areas)

A different background and framing might make this a better image.

i have all black , grey and white , thinking of getting one of those double sided collapsible used for head shots what do you think????

Thanks for sharing, how close did I get?

great info and thanks for being direct but kind

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

rska2013
Like?
In reply to Klaus dk, 7 months ago

Klaus dk wrote:

To make the picture come more alive, I would suggest you used a rim and/or hairlight. Mbloof is right in that the background is wrinkled. I usually advice my models to wear something which does not distract attention from their face, bright red does.

To get a better pose, the model should sit straigth, maybe lean a little forward. The photographer should not look down on his subject, so lens and model's eyes should be on the same level.

I have recently taken a few LinkeIn profile portraits, this latest is of a person I never met before the shoot:

nice shot  and thanks for the tips

rska2013
Like?
Re:another outfit for wifes linkedin profile pic

DuaneV
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124
Like?
Re:another outfit for wifes linkedin profile pic

Both images have very flat lighting.  You need to experiment with position, both side and height.  Also, if this is your wife why does she look SO unimpressed?  You cant get a better expression from your wife?  She looks VERY unhappy to be there, like a deer in headlights.  Loosen her up, get a nice expression.  The pose is also unflattering.  She needs to be turned away from the camera little more, she's too straight on.  And the background is very boring.  A flat, wrinkled, gray.  The images just have no "pop" to them.  Keep practicing.

DuaneV
Like?

Klaus dk wrote:

I have recently taken a few LinkeIn profile portraits, this latest is of a person I never met before the shoot:

This is a very nice headshot, Klaus.  You know how to use your light, how to pose your subject and how to get them to be comfortable.  Nicely done.

Irina Sh
Contributing MemberPosts: 660Gear list
Like?
Klaus, one question for you, please...

Klaus, thanks much for posting this great portrait , it is a good example of proper lighting and processing. One question, please... minimal glare on the glasses is the result of correct lighting setup, or post processing?

Irina Sh's gear list:Irina Sh's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Klaus dk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280Gear list
Like?
Re: Klaus, one question for you, please...
In reply to Irina Sh, 7 months ago

Irina Sh wrote:

Klaus, thanks much for posting this great portrait , it is a good example of proper lighting and processing. One question, please... minimal glare on the glasses is the result of correct lighting setup, or post processing?

Thank you for the nice comments and I'm sorry rska2013, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

The picture is an OOC jpeg, so it must be the quality of the antireflective coating on the glasses and and a little care in placing the main light. Reflections in glasses is really a nuisance.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +6 more
Irina Sh
Like?
Re: My humble attempt

I like that you wish to improve shots. I sincerely wish Good luck! My humble attempt to improve photo. I replaced the background color. Corrected hue and saturation on her face, add make-up.  ...Hope you like it.

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Irina Sh
Like?
Re: Klaus, one question for you, please...

Klaus, thanks for explaining how it worked out.

rska2013
Like?

Irina Sh wrote:

I like that you wish to improve shots. I sincerely wish Good luck! My humble attempt to improve photo. I replaced the background color. Corrected hue and saturation on her face, add make-up. ...Hope you like it.

not bad attempt except her hair got all funky......why cant i get my pics to pop ? i am only using nikon speed lights and umbrellas but they get a flash

mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,340Gear list
Like?

I like this one much better (the background at least), I'd suggest even a darker hue of blue but this removed much of the issues I had with the background.

I suppose getting wifiepoo to do much anything much less pose might be problematic but I'd agree with the other poster.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 400D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +9 more
Irina Sh
Like?

Thanks much, I'm glad you liked my try.

The texture of hair changed a little because I tried to adjust the position of the head.

The hair was not sharp on the original photo

Your second photo looks better to me, here's my try :

DuaneV
Like?

rska2013 wrote:

not bad attempt except her hair got all funky......why cant i get my pics to pop ? i am only using nikon speed lights and umbrellas but they get a flash

Honest truth:  You cant get them to pop because of your lack of experience.  You need to practice, practice, practice!  You need to try different lighting setups, i.e., angles, heights, etc.  You also need to have a repport with the person youre shooing.  In this case, its your wife and she looks VERY uncomfortable.  You don't know how to pose her correctly and she has no idea how to sit in front of the camera.  Without direction, most people will just sit there like a lump.  If you cant make your wife look comfortable youll be hard-pressed to make a client comfortable.

rska2013
Like?

Irina Sh wrote:

Thanks much, I'm glad you liked my try.

The texture of hair changed a little because I tried to adjust the position of the head.

The hair was not sharp on the original photo

Your second photo looks better to me, here's my try :

wow very cool ,  i am not good in photoshop .....i guess i need to get her teeth bonded they were ruined from antibiotics as a child and some botox ....this photo did come out better i think

RobS555
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?

I think you've gotten some good advice here.  I notice that your wife tends to pull her chin back from the camera, making her look slightly distrustful of what's going on.  An easy solution to this is to place a table in front of her (she appears to be sitting down), and resting her forward arm on it. This leans her forward slightly, and raises her chin up and out without making her self-conscious.  I'd play with angling her slightly more, and play with play-- get her to smile a little more.  The black and white outfit matches her hair, eyes, and lipstick well; if you return to the red, I'd get her lipstick closer in color to her blouse.  I agree that a hair/rim light (such as Klaus DK) has done is a more dynamic choice, along with a back light spot.  This requires a second light for the rim, and a third for the backdrop of course; and your cloth backdrop won't look good with a spot thrown on it because of the wrinkles.  However, you can get those slight wrinkles out in Photoshop using a Mask/blur filter combination.  If you use Photoshop.  I think you're well on your way.

Irina Sh
Like?

thank you, glad you like it.

I'd suggest you learning photoshop , it helps a lot to improve photos.

rska2013
Like?
In reply to RobS555, 7 months ago

RobS555 wrote:

I think you've gotten some good advice here. I notice that your wife tends to pull her chin back from the camera, making her look slightly distrustful of what's going on. An easy solution to this is to place a table in front of her (she appears to be sitting down), and resting her forward arm on it. This leans her forward slightly, and raises her chin up and out without making her self-conscious. I'd play with angling her slightly more, and play with play-- get her to smile a little more. The black and white outfit matches her hair, eyes, and lipstick well; if you return to the red, I'd get her lipstick closer in color to her blouse. I agree that a hair/rim light (such as Klaus DK) has done is a more dynamic choice, along with a back light spot. This requires a second light for the rim, and a third for the backdrop of course; and your cloth backdrop won't look good with a spot thrown on it because of the wrinkles. However, you can get those slight wrinkles out in Photoshop using a Mask/blur filter combination. If you use Photoshop. I think you're well on your way.

Suggestions well taken and thanks for looking in and give more i can use it

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads