My new smugmug (gallery link)

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,918Gear list
Like?
My new smugmug (gallery link)
9 months ago

Greetings folks,

I really like the new Smugmug. It was a major roll out and it took me a while to get up to speed.

If you have time and would like to browse, I'd be interested to know what you think.

wallygoots.smugmug.com

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
Re: My new smugmug (gallery link)
In reply to SirSeth, 9 months ago

SirSeth wrote:

Greetings folks,

I really like the new Smugmug. It was a major roll out and it took me a while to get up to speed.

If you have time and would like to browse, I'd be interested to know what you think.

wallygoots.smugmug.com

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.blogspot.com

I've been using Smugmug for sometime, mostly for my hiking photos: http://lawrencehelm.smugmug.com/ But I notice, 1, that it is harder to provide an actionable reference to my site. For example, one can't click on your reference and get to your site. I "think" one can click on my reference but I'm not positive. It's tricky.

2. The new smugmug forces you to look at larger-sized photos whereas the old format gave you thumbnail photos that you could click on to make larger. I like the new version in this case because a viewer looking at the thumbnails won't necessarily see the good qualities of a photo that would be apparent in a larger view.

3. But the new version doesn't allow you to refer anyone to a particular photo by number and the old version did. I have in the past referred people on a Rhodesian Ridgeback site to particular shots of my Ridgebacks by smugmug numbers. In the new version I try to make up for that deficiency by saying something like, "the last 11 shots show Bentley seeing cows at a local dairy for the first time. Duffy on the other hand has seen lots of cows and looks bored."

4. But in the past I might want to refer back to some particular photo, say a coyote citing and I don't quite know how to do that without a reference number (which the old system permitted).

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DavidH202
Senior MemberPosts: 1,067
Like?

Let  me be the first to complement you

Site looks clean , simple to navigate, and very nice work!!

I noticed that on the Macros group you can get Exif data but on the other groups you cannot ?

David

Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavidH202, 9 months ago

DavidH202 wrote:

Let me be the first to complement you

Site looks clean , simple to navigate, and very nice work!!

I noticed that on the Macros group you can get Exif data but on the other groups you cannot ?

David

Click on the little "i" icon (meaning "info") in the right hand bottom corner.  That will give you all the exif data -- at least that's the way it works on my Smugmug site.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
CJackJr
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?

Seth,

I took a look at your site, very nice. Some wonderful photos, although I need to spend some more time looking through all the albums. I've not used SmugMug before but may give it a try.

I'm curious, what breed is the reddish brown dog that seems to like the snow so much. He (she?) looks a lot like mine. A Toller perhaps?

Regards, Conrad

CJackJr's gear list:CJackJr's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-600 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +4 more
John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
rendering question

I use zenfolio myself but I'm not always happy with the speed so I'm always interested in what others are using.

Intuitively, I hit the little play button on the lower left to go to the next picture but I see that's the full screen toggle like 'play a slide show'.
Anyway - on to my specific question.  In the first shot of 'our boy' where Baby Bean is holding the E1, there is a lot of shadow noise on the E1 body.  The info button shows this was taken at iso 400.  Is that amount of noise really in the original picture or some sort of rendering smugmug artifact?
I'm also not seeing any lens info even focal length on the info button.
I see the X in the upper right hand corner than takes you to a contact sheet view.  I wonder if that's configurable as that's where I'd want people to start then select a photo to start 'playing' through at a larger size.
That was some deep snow you have with the dog pictures.
Yes - playing with it a bit more, I think I don't care for the way it starts in single picture mode, then you can pop to contact page mode with the X.  Though I see how it operates now, it seems a bit backwards.  Could be I'm just used to the way fototime and zenfolio worked.
Nice set of pictures!

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
dahod
Regular MemberPosts: 288
Like?
Very nice

And congratulations on the woodworking.  The bed headboard from a door is pretty innovative and the acoustic guitar is impressive.

One comment I'd heard with respect to a couple of online galleries is that they kept some rights with respect to using your photos.  Do you know if Smugmug has anything like that?

Thanks

Dave

William Russell
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?

Thanks for sharing your web site Seth. You have been blessed with a fine little boy and the Utah pictures brings back many memories too.I have been using SmugMug for several years and really like it and their "help" team always is there for assistance too. I spent quite a bit of time revising mine after there recent major change. Here is our website:

Thanks again for sharing.

www.williamrussellphotos.com

Jouko
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
Looking good

and the photos too...

The new system Smugmug has provides quite good "show and security" balance, at least from my point of view. Unfortunately they changed the pricing too - I decided to downgrade my account and move the "selling" elsewhere - to Pixels.com / FineArtAmerica etc in fact.

But I have quite a lot of photos uploaded and backuped to Smugmug, some to public galleries, some to private, some to only customers accessible accounts, some to just for my eyes existing. Quite a lot ofvarieties in security levels - that's good.

Cheers!

Jouko
'The best camera in the world is the one you have with you when you need it'
http://lehtokukka.smugmug.com/
http://jouko-lehto.artistwebsites.com/

Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,720Gear list
Like?

You did OK on this Seth.  As for me, I've used Smugmug for 7 yrs and see no reason to change anything.  The old system was easy to use and fairly intuitive.  The new one, to me at least, is much less so.  I'm not at all happy with having to re-do everything just because someone there wanted to change the look to suit him.  If I didn't have so much time invested in putting my galleries together I'd just tell them to shove it.  To me this is a giant PITA that I don't need or want.  Changing and having to start all over on another site is not appealing at all.

-- hide signature --

BJM

SirSeth
Like?
In reply to CJackJr, 9 months ago

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Really helpful comments.

The red dog (Koa) is a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (to the best of my knowledge).

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
SirSeth
Like?
Re: rendering question
In reply to John Mason, 9 months ago

Thanks for the feedback John.

The noise really is that bad because it was underexposed and I pushed it up by 2.8 stops in LR5. I've been really pleased by how Smugmug looks with everything I'd posted. I really like the new design/controls. Some are not intuitive the first time, but then it's very smooth and easy.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth
Like?
Re: Very nice
In reply to dahod, 9 months ago

Thanks for commenting on the woodworking. I wish I were more motivated to work on stuff more consistently, so having a gallery of finished projects is good inspiration for me. I kick myself that I have't finished a guitar in a decade though.

With Smugmug all images I retain the rights too I believe. My membership level is a paid service with shopping cart and I don't know about other levels, but the company is pretty high integrity imo.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth
Like?
In reply to Bobby J, 9 months ago

I find the change very refreshing in look and usefulness, but that's after the initial learning curve. Maybe it will grow on you, but for my part, I'm a big fan and appreciate the rework. I think the old design scheme looked long in the tooth and wasn't as intuitive as I now find the new one to be, but I understand this is preference and I have a lot of experience with sleuthing around new software. I respect your opinion though and hope you find the right solution for your work.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
Well, that explains that!

That's quite a LR pull up - for that much of a pull, that's quite impressive!
I do like the speed of the Smugmug site.  I did some back and forth from mine to yours and the smugmug site does feel more responsive than zenfolio.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads